Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-26-2015, 12:28 PM   #1
Amish Ed

Newport, 3-26-15

Launched about 6:30 with Landwhale. It was nice to launch in only a short, except that I knew that when the sun came out it would get hot quick. And it did. Water was 67º and just a little dirty. No wind when we launched and around 8:30 it started blowing slightly off and on. About 9:30 or 10:00 it became steady. With the lack of current at that point we at least still had a drift.

We started off right off the launch at the buoy line and stayed there until about 8:30. The fish were weird today, at least for me. I had a few on the jig w/ a 4" Flurry trailer in Sea Food. Probably could've got a few more on it, but I lost it to a rock. The rest of the time for the most part I'd catch a fish on a bait and then not get bit again until I switched colors or styles. I fished 3" and 4" Flurries for the most part with the Gold/Chart. on a 1/2oz red Slayer head getting the most bites and a couple of fish. By about 8:00 I had 8 bass (3 legal) and a short butt. It took until 11:00 when we left to get 5 more. Hot Sauce was used for flavor of course.

Over all it was a slow day, but talking to a couple other anglers we actually did well. As always, it was a pleasure to fish with Steve.

This was also the first time in who knows how long that I fished 3 times in 7 days. I guess a wife and 4 kids does put a dent in ones fishing time.
Old 03-26-2015, 12:37 PM   #2
spyakker

Nice, I think I saw you guys when I launched. Decided to make my way out to the open waters.
spyakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 12:55 PM   #3
Amish Ed

How did you do out there?
Old 03-26-2015, 01:03 PM   #4
spyakker

Just put my report up. not a bad day, Are you guys going back out tomorrow?
Old 03-26-2015, 01:30 PM   #5
Amish Ed

Negative on tomorrow. I fished 3 times in the last 7 days. No need to push it with my wife Just checked out your report, lots of work for 1 or 2 tacos. But, I'm sure it gets easier as you build up a list of rock piles to hit.
Old 03-26-2015, 01:37 PM   #6
spyakker

haha! that's more than me and i'm single!!
yeah it was still fun. only my second time out trying to get some rock fish. Time on the water is better than not on the water!
Old 03-26-2015, 01:41 PM   #7
landwhale

Started out throwing the Smoking Shad and Redbone Paddlez even pulled out the 3" Baby spotted bay bass Big Hammer for no bites for the first 45 minutes even with Uni Butter till I switched over to the 4' New Penny Paddlez buttere3d it up and that kick started the day for me. Drifted the channel by the launch then paddled up into the moored boats then drifted back to the launch. Not having a FF has made it hard to find the drop offs though today it didn't hurt ended the day with 7 sand bass(2 legals) and 6 Spotties (1 Legal) my best day in Newport in awhile. Great fishing with Ed and the weather was great.

landwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 01:42 PM   #8
Amish Ed

Thinking back, the last time I fished this much in a week was when my 14 year old was 1. Guess it's been a while. But, at least my wife doesn't give me grief for fishing every week and now the occasional twice a week.
Old 03-26-2015, 03:00 PM   #9
King Saba

Fishing 3x in a week? Can't think of any better way to spend a week. Nice job on the fish.
King Saba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 04:10 PM   #10
corpsmanusn2001

Nice! I might take my lads out for a spin in the harbor tomorrow. It's getting hot in the IE.
corpsmanusn2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 04:18 PM   #11
Amish Ed

Forgot to mention that a damn Sea Lion tried to board my yak. He didn't get far though as I swung at him and yelled. It was a small one and scared easily thank God. Also saw a Seal, which despite being called a Harbor Seal, I've never seen one in a harbor.

P.S. It's a pet peeve of mine when Seal Lions are called Seals. Poor seals shouldn't be maligned that way. They do nothing wrong, it's their cousins the Seal Lions that are the problem.