Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-01-2022, 11:06 AM   #1
Mahigeer

2022 Fishing license information.

2022 California Sport Fishing Season Has Started
The 2022 sport fishing season has started, and 2022 sport fishing licenses are available. California is fortunate to have some of the most diverse fishing opportunities found anywhere in the world. 2022 California fishing licenses are valid from January 1, 2022, through December 31, 2022, and purchasing your license now will provide you with the most value when you take advantage of the unmatched fishing opportunities the Golden State has to offer. With more than 30,000 miles of rivers and streams, 4,172 lakes and reservoirs and 80 major rivers, freshwater fishing opportunities abound in California. The state also features more than 1,100 miles of coastline that is home to hundreds of native fish and shellfish species.

Governor Newsom signed Assembly Bill 817 authored by Assembly member Jim Wood (D-Santa Rosa) this past legislative session for CDFW to provide an electronic display option for sport fishing license items and sell a sport fishing license that will be valid for 365 days from the purchase date rather than the calendar year. However, implementation of this new law requires technological infrastructure revisions, so neither will be available during the 2022 license year.

Anglers have the option to sign up for auto-renewal of their annual sport fishing licenses, report cards, and validations through CDFW’s online sales website. For more information about sport fishing license auto-renewal, please refer to the Frequently Asked Questions about auto-renewal on CDFW’s website.

You can purchase a California sport fishing license from any license agent or purchase your license online 24 hours a day. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, license sales counters at CDFW offices remain temporarily closed to the public. Sport fishing license fees are nonrefundable.
Mahigeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 03:46 PM   #2
Paul1066
Junior

License

Wait Governor signed in a new bill , that they actually don’t have the ability to implement. So we’re still stuck with Jan to Jan active license , I completely understand why folks think the governors office and DFG as such poorly run offices .
Paul1066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 08:54 AM   #3
JohnMckroidJr

California regs have gotten pretty complicated over the last couple of decades.

In Florida, Sometimes I will troll two live bait rods(each with a two hook stinger rig) and cast out and jig a multi-hook third rod forward of where I am trolling. Would that be considered legal in CA?
JohnMckroidJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 01:19 PM   #4
Mahigeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMckroidJr View Post
California regs have gotten pretty complicated over the last couple of decades.

In Florida, Sometimes I will troll two live bait rods (each with a two hook stinger rig) and cast out and jig a multi-hook third rod forward of where I am trolling. Would that be considered legal in CA?
For salt water with ocean enhancement stamp you can fish on a boat, kayak, at surf with no limit on rods.
At pier no license required, but two rods, or two nets, or a rod and a net in the water at the same time. You can have with you many rods, as long as only two are in the water.
For fresh water, with the second rod stamp, you can have two rods. Although I am not sure, but I believe no more than two rods in fresh water on kayak, boat, or float tube.
Old 01-04-2022, 01:23 PM   #5
Mahigeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul1066 View Post
Wait Governor signed in a new bill , that they actually don’t have the ability to implement. So we’re still stuck with Jan to Jan active license , I completely understand why folks think the governors office and DFG as such poorly run offices .
I would put the blame on F & W more than the governor's office.

As anglers we are taught to be patient.
Old 01-04-2022, 02:31 PM   #6
AlwaysFishing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahigeer View Post
I would put the blame on F & W more than the governor's office.

As anglers we are taught to be patient.

100% and I fish year round, so it doesn't really matter to me . For the price of the license, even if I get 9-10 months out of it, it's still worth it for me. I guess I spend way too much time on the water...
AlwaysFishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 02:41 PM   #7
JohnMckroidJr

Quote:
For salt water with ocean enhancement stamp you can fish on a boat, kayak, at surf with no limit on rods.
At pier no license required, but two rods, or two nets, or a rod and a net in the water at the same time. You can have with you many rods, as long as only two are in the water.
For fresh water, with the second rod stamp, you can have two rods. Although I am not sure, but I believe no more than two rods in fresh water on kayak, boat, or float tube.
Thanks, Good to know. What about the number of hooks? My vertical jigs often have 2 slow pitch jigging hooks on both ends for a total of 4 hooks. Is there a limit to the number of hooks per fishing rod? Back in the heyday of Rockcodding, I would normally use 12-18 hook gangions.
Old 01-04-2022, 02:52 PM   #8
Mahigeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMckroidJr View Post
Thanks, Good to know. What about the number of hooks? My vertical jigs often have 2 slow pitch jigging hooks on both ends for a total of 4 hooks. Is there a limit to the number of hooks per fishing rod? Back in the heyday of Rockcodding, I would normally use 12-18 hook gangions.
First of all; I am posting regulations for Southern California. Which differs from Northern California in some laws.

For rock fishing and during its season only two hooks.
Bait rigs (Sabiki), no limit. You really can’t put too many hooks on lures.
Old 01-04-2022, 03:41 PM   #9
JohnMckroidJr

Quote:
First of all; I am posting regulations for Southern California. Which differs from Northern California in some laws.

For rock fishing and during its season only two hooks.
Bait rigs (Sabiki), no limit. You really can’t put too many hooks on lures.
SoCal is what I am asking about so that works. Thanks.
Old 01-05-2022, 07:00 AM   #10
Mahigeer

Glad to help.
Old 01-06-2022, 02:41 PM   #11
mrJB

License Refund?

When will I be getting a refund for my reduced 2021 fishing season due to So. Cal Oil Spills and Sewage Spills?

Old 01-07-2022, 05:03 AM   #12
JohnMckroidJr

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrJB View Post
When will I be getting a refund for my reduced 2021 fishing season due to So. Cal Oil Spills and Sewage Spills?

Old 01-07-2022, 10:37 AM   #13
Mahigeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrJB View Post

You will have a better chance of collecting from the oil company than F&W.