Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-06-2015, 06:37 PM   #1
Kaleb

Need Kayak Mod help / 2nd opinions

Calling all Tinkerer's, Need helping rigging this Kayak for some ocean fishing.
This kayak has a goof weight Capacity and is long for speed, stable too, perfect for the bays or LJ.
Most of the standard material out there for rigging yaks doesn't apply very well to this particular kayak. As I am facing some challenges.
#1 No where can i fit the flush mount rod holders. The area outboard of the raised ridge that defines the seating area is contoured just enough to not accommodate a flush mount.
#2 This is a Tandem that can be fished Solo, the seat pictured is sitting in the Solo paddling position, all the other deck space around is molded and contoured to accommodate butts and feet, not flat usable deck mounted hardware. Any recommendations to make this fish able?
Two things I've been thinking about are integrating sometype of removable "cutting board" type material to cover the rear tandem seat to allow mounting of a bait tank, cooler, or kayak crate.
The other is to mount some flush mount rod holders in the very back and shoot some pvc forward and out of them to come and integrate with a crate / make rod holders.
Any suggestions?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9E...ew?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9...RFk&authuser=0
Kaleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 07:07 PM   #2
Fishwhisperer619

The only thing i can really think of is to use the rod holders they make for horizontal storage. As far as putting a crate on, if you put some eyes on the yak you can use them to latch down the crate?
Fishwhisperer619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 07:07 PM   #3
igotpron
Xcoastie

I would mount scotty flush mounts on the side of the Kayak past the side railing where your pad eyes For your chair are. Or some sort of track system on the railing. I've fished tandems and I preferred the bait tank up forward. So I would find a way to strap a full sized milk crate up front with a pet food container bait tank. I would either build pvc around the crate making it wider so the crate doesn't fall down, or just cut up an old boogie board to fit to fill in the seat area.
igotpron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 07:49 PM   #4
Kaleb

I think i"m going to do the Track mounts to hold rods for trolling. and I love the idea about the old boogy board!
Kaleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 08:23 AM   #5
addicted2sp33d
Here fishy fishy fishy...

Is there enough room to reach inside through one of the hatches to install a metal backing plate for the flushmount rod holders?

I did this to install some Scotty bases on my Pelican 130T, which also has curves everywhere.

As you tighten the top down, it basically makes its own flat-spot on your gunwales.
addicted2sp33d is offline   Reply With Quote