Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-15-2015, 08:41 PM   #21
Pinhead
We all Stink Sometimes!

In my opinion, consider your physical ability and strength. I'm roughly 5'10, 165lbs, and my upper body strength is not what it used to be, back in the day ;-)

I have a near new X-Factor, 14'L x 33W. Stable kayak, lots of storage etc... but tough for me to gain much distance when fighting the wind and/or current, especially both at the same time. I should not have bought this big of a kayak. Rookie mistake. Should have purchased a 12' model and done a bit more homework before purchasing.

I just bought a 2014 Hobie PA, 14' and used it for the 1st time in MB yesterday. Awesome. Wind was 10mph and current was not bad. I was easily able to fish, adjust boat position and fight fish easily.
Pinhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 10:58 PM   #22
Kaleb

Yeah im 220lbs 5'10" My upper body strength is actually pretty good. But exactly what you are mentioning is what I'm worried about. fighting current and wind and still being able to fish.
Kaleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 11:26 PM   #23
easyday

I do it all the time in a paddle kayak......you don't need peddles to fish.
Old 03-16-2015, 12:06 AM   #24
momo fish

Come over and join the cult....

Quote:
Originally Posted by easyday View Post
momo fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 05:15 AM   #25
Deamon

Quote:
Yeah but come on Josh, let's be real for one minute...if you're hooked up on two fish...one's a burner about to spool you...the other is straight down heavy...are you Wilderness boys able to chase down the screamer steering with your knee, catching up on line while managing the other fish??? Wait a minute, that was last night's dream. Umm, never mind. Jim
Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 06:16 AM   #26
jruiz
Large Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deamon View Post
Yeah but come on Josh, let's be real for one minute...if you're hooked up on two fish...one's a burner about to spool you...the other is straight down heavy...are you Wilderness boys able to chase down the screamer steering with your knee, catching up on line while managing the other fish??? Wait a minute, that was last night's dream. Umm, never mind. Jim
You radio John over and hand over one rod. Remember fishing etiquette, no take backs. If you get broken off your fish, be the bigger guy and cheer him on and take pictures.
jruiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 07:33 AM   #27
cell128
lizard king

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deamon View Post
I wish I had 2 fish on me
cell128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 07:35 AM   #28
cell128
lizard king

When u fishing LJ Jim? Ill pay u $10 to be my guide lol
cell128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 08:00 AM   #29
easyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by momo fish View Post
Come over and join the cult....
It's going to be a VERRRRRRRRRRRYYYYY long time before anyone sees me in anything but a paddle kayak. And Jim no i wouldn't, but imagine if that fish you were trying to chase down dragged you over some kelp and your mirage drive all of a sudden doesn't work.......hahaha. This debate is never ending. Both sides are pretty hardcore loyal to their preferred method is propulsion. Bottom line for the OP get what you like the best and don't settle for less if you don't have to.
Old 03-16-2015, 08:19 AM   #30
Deamon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jruiz View Post
You radio John over and hand over one rod. If you get broken off your fish, be the bigger guy and cheer him on and take pictures.
Oh...you're one of "them". I knew there was something wrong about you. F that, give me that rod back fool... Jim
Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 08:21 AM   #31
momo fish

My grandpa used to tell me the "hardcore is a word made up by stubborn men to feel better about themselves".. 😂

Both sides have preferences and just need to respect it.. OR we have a peddle verse paddle tournament and re prize will be the opposite kayak for the winner..
Old 03-16-2015, 08:46 AM   #32
easyday

thats an interesting way to come up with a meaning for someone calling something hardcore, I remember my grandpa saying the fighting against the Japanese on the islands during WW2 was hardcore. To each their own I guess. When a hobie catches the a fish bigger than 1200 lbs we can talk..... Just remember a paddle kayaker has the record for the largest fish ever caught from a kayak.
Old 03-16-2015, 09:58 AM   #33
momo fish

It's a fun debate/discussion... Like I said to each their own.. I personally don't care as I have owned both.. And both have their pros / cons...
Old 03-16-2015, 01:28 PM   #34
corpsmanusn2001

Quote:
thats an interesting way to come up with a meaning for someone calling something hardcore, I remember my grandpa saying the fighting against the Japanese on the islands during WW2 was hardcore. To each their own I guess. When a hobie catches the a fish bigger than 1200 lbs we can talk..... Just remember a paddle kayaker has the record for the largest fish ever caught from a kayak.
Your grandpa is a stud. WWII vets kicked ass! Much respect for those folks. If you guys see a crusty old vet rocking a military ball cap, shake his hand and say thank you.
corpsmanusn2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 02:29 PM   #35
Bert Vega
Tail Chaser!

Quote:
When a hobie catches the a fish bigger than 1200 lbs we can talk..... Just remember a paddle kayaker has the record for the largest fish ever caught from a kayak.

Like reeling in a 1200lbs log. Took over 20 minutes to get bait down and only 90 to get the shark to surface. They are targeting one of the slowest most lethargic fish I have ever seen. Make it a 1200 marlin and let the good times roll.

Old 03-16-2015, 03:27 PM   #36
momo fish

Having always been one to not follow the crowds I can tell you what convinced me to get a hobie (even with a shoulder injury).. I finally gave up the old chevy for a honda, the old blackberry for the iPhone and then finally the old Malibu for the hobie and life has been far more enjoyable...

1. Your leg muscles are far stronger than arm muscle and thus will last longer and be able to cover more ground. Anyone who disputes this.. Well I don't know what to say.

2. I believe the percentage of folks moving on to a hobie verses from a hobie is probably 95% to 5%... Could be wrong but heard this quote from a dealer 2 years ago..

3. Speed is about the same on both, but when I had a Malibu I needed a break every 30 minutes or so to rest.. With the outback it's like walking and can go on for hours..

4. I was worried about fishing the kelp but my fears were just that, fears.. I know just close the drives with the bungee and pull out the paddle.. I spend 90% of the time using the drive, verses the 10% when I'm in the kelp fishing.. Heck I leave the drives down so I don't drift as well instead of having to tie on to something.. If I'm stuck I pull the drives out and I'm free again..

5. As much as I missed the storage on a non-hobie, I realized I did not have to bring the whole tackle store when I head out. Made me a better angler (almost). I pretty much bring a few weighs, hooks and iron now in a nice compact waterproof container.

6. You can land a hobie far better with the drives on verses a paddle.. Before everyone jumps on this point here is why... I can gain speed quick and beat the next wave far better than with my Malibu. With a paddle boat, you just need to time it better. Keep in mind I said land and not launch.. I HATE launching a hobie!

7. You mentioned LJ and yellowtail.. Heard from a notable angler that for this kind of fishing a hobie is best as you can cover more ground.

Anyhow just my 2 cents from my limited experience. Take from it what you need and decide. I know of a few guys on here who don't fish from a hobie and kick ass like Mike and Danny for example..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaleb View Post
Kind of torn in my decisions right now. I primarily want to do kelp and YT fishing in La Jolla although I do a lot of bay fishing now. My previous kayak was a Native watercraft Mantaray 12 I liked it, only problems were weight capacity and stability. I'm really looking into the x factor because it easily solves both of those problems + it's cheap and I can get a fully rigged, paddle, seat, anchor, bait tank and fish finder ETC. For about 1k with. I have also tried the wilderness systems ride 135 and liked that one a lot. A little more expensive then the x factor. The last option is save up about 400-500 more and get an out back? What do you guys recommend?
Old 03-16-2015, 03:57 PM   #37
monstahfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaleb View Post
I got to try it out over at Dana, Thanks again for saving me my first time out Monstahfish!
Shhh, don't let these guys know any of your mistakes they'll be all over you.
But seriously, no problem, any time. Oddly enough you were not the first or last. I actually pulled a guy and his son back to their jetski in mission bay saturday. They were going way too fast and jerked the steering too hard and got tossed about 30 feet from the ski and then went into a panic while the jetski got quickly pushed further away by the wind. I had them grab the side of the outback and dragged them 100+ feet back to their jetski.(Thank you mirage drive) My favorite part was when the kid thanked me, then Jesus for saving his life. They were wearing their PFDs so they would have been fine but the kid was really scared. Also caught a monster spotty and a decent calico which really surprised me.
monstahfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 04:01 PM   #38
rossman
Marginally Irrelevant

When you grow old do you want to tell your kids that you were a kayak fisherman or a carnival ride tester?
"When beholding the tranquil beauty and brilliancy of the ocean’s skin, one forgets the tiger heart that pants beneath it; and would not willingly remember that this velvet paw but conceals a remorseless fang. "
— Herman Melville

Y'all come see me now, hear!
rossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 04:52 PM   #39
yak-fishing-socal
kayak fishing socal

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossman View Post
When you grow old do you want to tell your kids that you were a kayak fisherman or a carnival ride tester?
☝👍👍👍🎢🚣 I'm a paddler all the way

The only reason why I would buy a Hobie would be for my fiance so she can keep up
yak-fishing-socal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 05:02 PM   #40
jorluivil

Quote:

So if that fish would have been caught on a Hobie would you go out and buy one? What if it was caught on a boat? Would you go out and buy a boat? The guy just happened to be on a paddle kayak, end of story.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote