Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2015, 12:07 AM   #1
Kaleb

Lightbulb That hammerhead

Hey guys,

Iwent out Saturday,got skunked like everyone else, I did peddle 3-4miles out just to take a look for birds and paddies.All Ifound was a hammerhead chomping my bait. Was not actually expecting to have an encounter even immediately following others reports of one. But sure enough, he found me. Just curious as to the level of real danger a hammerhead presents?What's the best thing to do in that situation? Keep trolling baits? Immediately leave ? Have any kayakers died to shark attack?
Kaleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 05:15 AM   #2
cell128
lizard king

Went out on my boat Saturday. Saw a 10ft one at the horseshoe kelp. They are definitely interested. And will hang around
cell128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 05:38 AM   #3
HobieScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaleb View Post
Hey guys,

Iwent out Saturday,got skunked like everyone else, I did peddle 3-4miles out just to take a look for birds and paddies.All Ifound was a hammerhead chomping my bait. Was not actually expecting to have an encounter even immediately following others reports of one. But sure enough, he found me. Just curious as to the level of real danger a hammerhead presents?What's the best thing to do in that situation? Keep trolling baits? Immediately leave ? Have any kayakers died to shark attack?
http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/fish/sharks...s/species3.htm

I just checked and there have been 17 HH attacks internationally. None of them fatal. out of all the Sharks we may encounter on the west coast the one we need to be aware of is the Great White. I remember reports from A few years back where a GW knocked a kayaker off of the kayak. That has happened more than once. But the GW did not attack the person once they were in the water.

There have been a bunch of HH sightings this year already and they have been nothing more than a nuisance from eating trolled baits.

I wouldn't gut and bleed my catch with one nearby! And keep your hands and feet inside the ride at all times

Last edited by HobieScot; 08-03-2015 at 06:15 AM.
HobieScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 05:39 AM   #4
HobieScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by cell128 View Post
Went out on my boat Saturday. Saw a 10ft one at the horseshoe kelp. They are definitely interested. And will hang around
Beautiful pic cell128
HobieScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 05:44 AM   #5
ctfphoto

What are the Hammerheads going after? 8 to 12 inch mackerel.

I think us humans will be just fine.
ctfphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 05:45 AM   #6
taggermike

Im not sure what species is around; scalloped, or smooth, but Hammerheads that size can be dangerous. But strait out attacking a human is very uncommon. Blood in the water, or worse, a fish struggling at boat side could fire them up to coming at the kayak. I'd say get baits out of the water and just keep moving. If there nothing for them they'll split. Sharks are so tuned in and have such evolved sences they can probably hear/feel the bait pump and smell the stressed baits in the water exiting a bait tank. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 05:47 AM   #7
Kaleb

Thanks guys, I figured I would ask, because I have accepted the fact I WILL see them, especially if I go out to try and grab some tuna and dodo.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
Kaleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 06:09 AM   #8
Dave Legacy

Not sure if this is useful, but some guys I know have told me that over the last couple years it's been more productive to fish around/under a hammerhead than to fish a paddy. Evidentially where there be hammers there be fish?
Dave Legacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 06:10 AM   #9
Dave Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by taggermike View Post
Im not sure what species is around; scalloped, or smooth, but Hammerheads that size can be dangerous. But strait out attacking a human is very uncommon. Blood in the water, or worse, a fish struggling at boat side could fire them up to coming at the kayak. I'd say get baits out of the water and just keep moving. If there nothing for them they'll split. Sharks are so tuned in and have such evolved sences they can probably hear/feel the bait pump and smell the stressed baits in the water exiting a bait tank. Mike

I do believe our hammerheads are Smooth Hammerheads; second largest species of hammer.
Dave Legacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 06:18 AM   #10
Fishin Phil

Hammerhead

I think he'll be okay......because........he's not a Mako!
Old 08-03-2015, 07:33 AM   #11
taggermike

Thanks for the ID. If we were seeing great hammerheads around things might be a bit sketchier. But even the greats still, about always, go after hooked fish and not people. But like GWs if they mistake a human for some thing else or get too curious the results are devastating. Mike.
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 07:43 AM   #12
ful-rac
Emperor

I wouldn't really worry too much about those hammerheads either...Just don't fall in the water and find out otherwise.... ! There have been lots of'em hang'n around not just La Jolla...but everywhere.

If you guys have ever seen a lit-up hammerhead...now that's something to be scared of...
Old 08-03-2015, 08:38 AM   #13
Cbad Mike

Thanks for the info on this subject.
There are some things that I really don't want to see while on my kayak but when I do, and I'm back on the beach, I'm grateful that I saw what most people never will.
I love this sport!
Old 08-03-2015, 08:41 AM   #14
Kayak_Bernie
Live Watersports ProStaff

These are most likely Smooth Hammerheads, they can grow very large 15+ feet, so they are indeed dangerous, even an accidental bite to the lower leg could be catastrophic. So when bleeding fish make sure your arms and legs are inside your kayak. Otherwise you'll get the nickname stumpy...

Safety Director
Kayak_Bernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 10:03 AM   #15
cell128
lizard king

Are they good to eat? I get mixed answers from friends. I bet I can safely catch one from the boat with help
cell128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 10:05 AM   #16
ful-rac
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cell128 View Post
Are they good to eat? I get mixed answers from friends. I bet I can safely catch one from the boat with help
Try one...im sure it'll make some good tacos...
Old 08-03-2015, 10:07 AM   #17
JohnMckroidJr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaleb View Post
Hey guys,

Just curious as to the level of real danger a hammerhead presents?What's the best thing to do in that situation? Keep trolling baits? Immediately leave ? Have any kayakers died to shark attack?
I have been followed by big hammerheads a few times, and ocassionally catch the smaller ones. There is a youtube video where a hammerhead followed some kayakers, smelled the blood of the bonita they had been catching and took a bite (leaving teeth marks) on one of the kayaks before swimming off. Generally I don't consider them to be a threat, if one had concerns, they might consider a bang stick for protection. Boaters have come up to me yelling about the following shark fin...best thing to do is remain calm and keep in mind that the taxman is going to want a piece if you hook a fish. These sharks are not as dumb as some may think. I have thrown big baits in front of the bigger hammer heads, and they see the cable and won't touch the bait, but instead wait for me to bring a fish up on my lighter lines so they can get an easy meal. If you see one coming for your fish, put your reel in freespool and unless your fish has the bends, it will normally outrun the shark, then reel asap to get your fish in before the shark makes another pass. When you pull your fish away from a hammerhead after it has had a bite, It might be angry and nudge your kayak a few times before swimming off.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mr.Hammerhead.jpg (57.0 KB, 157 views)
File Type: jpg Hammerhead.jpg (62.0 KB, 158 views)
File Type: jpg WahooSharked.jpg (88.2 KB, 159 views)
JohnMckroidJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 01:13 PM   #18
Gunner58

Sunday when I was out with my buddy he got video of a 8-10 footer trying to eat his bait tube in LJ
Gunner58 is offline   Reply With Quote