Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-16-2010, 07:07 AM   #21
jorluivil

Pretty scary stuff there. Really glad we're hearing the story from the horses mouth and not reading the details based on what a witness saw.

You said you were wearing waders....how easy was it to float or maneuver in them? I ask because I've been wearing some my Carthart bibs with rubber boots while hooping. I've been meaning to go to my sisters house and jump in the pool just to see if I would float right away.
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 07:55 AM   #22
wade

i saw a big Whale in the reserve on Monday a 1 pm-...

also...

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2...y-sperm-whale/
wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 08:06 AM   #23
bigbarrels

Quote:
Originally Posted by j mo View Post
Yikes thats a crazy story!

Sorry to hear you lost all your gear! Those damned theives, hopefully your homewoners insurance will cover your loss

Also, If you rent, check your renters insurance......I lost some gear last year and everything on my kayak was covered......just not the kayak itself
bigbarrels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 08:41 AM   #24
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
Pretty scary stuff there. Really glad we're hearing the story from the horses mouth and not reading the details based on what a witness saw.

You said you were wearing waders....how easy was it to float or maneuver in them? I ask because I've been wearing some my Carthart bibs with rubber boots while hooping. I've been meaning to go to my sisters house and jump in the pool just to see if I would float right away.
As for the Waders thing check out this video and it will answer you questions about the waders.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYwG52p4yjs
Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 09:21 AM   #25
scoop

Wow, brown waders time! Glad you are OK. Sorry about the gear.
scoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 09:38 AM   #26
Jim Sammons LJKF

I have had some pretty close encounters over the years out there but nothing like that. Things like this should really drive home why you should always wear a PFD. Things happen fast so always be prepared.
Glad it turned out OK.
JimSammons.com
Jim Sammons LJKF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 10:44 AM   #27
Hypoxic1

Wader question

I was wearing my spray jacket, with the waist tight and the wrists tight. I also wear a hobie inflatable harness incase things go real bad. if you inflate the harness right away there is no way you are getting back on the boat. it will become too bulky.

When I was tossed I was completely submerged for a second. Water did trickle into the waders , perhaps a cup or two at most. I dont wear a belt, just the tight waist of the spray jacket. the belts seem to want to keep air in the wader pants and for me its an annoyance.

Late report. Looks like my homeowners is covering most of the loss.
Merry Christmas.
Hypoxic1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 11:00 AM   #28
Jim Sammons LJKF

Ok lets look at this as a worst case scenario. You get dumped into the water and bonked on the head. As you now know first hand crazy things happen fast. I have had free jumping Threshers launch over the bow of my kayak. Inflatable PFDs won't save you if you can't inflate it. You are much safer in a normal PFD.
IF you are going to be thrashing around in the water for an extended period not having a belt could also be an issue.
Just my thoughts but I would at least reconsider your choice of PFD. I know those inflatables are comfortable but I think comfort will take a back seat to floating when it really counts.
JimSammons.com
Old 12-16-2010, 11:28 AM   #29
erinoo

Even though it doesn't appear that Jim is wearing any PDF in his Avatar picture, he is correct about the inflatable PFD V the Standard.
erinoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 11:35 AM   #30
Jim Sammons LJKF

You are totally correct about me not having one on in my Avatar. That is the exception not the rule with me though. Kind of like when I was in Panama. We shipped the kayaks down but the PFDs never arrived, I certainly was not going to just not fish because I didn't have a PFD. Kind of the same thing happened the day I got that Dorado. I do though wear a PFD 99% of the time.
JimSammons.com
Old 12-16-2010, 01:07 PM   #31
Dean Machine

Don't they also make water activated pfd's that inflate after being submerged in the water? Of course there would be some trade-offs, but it could solve the comfort vs safety problem. Either way, a pfd is a must 100% of the time. I know, sometimes stuff happens that prevent you from wearing it, either way, Jim is right, we are not all perfect. I used to be a 99% of the time seat-belt wearer until I was thrown from the passenger seat of a pickup truck. I swear to god I will never ride in any vehicle again that I can't get a seatbelt on EVER but that's another story.

Any way........anybody ever heardof the water activated self inflating pfd?
Old 12-16-2010, 01:46 PM   #32
Jim Sammons LJKF

Yes they do have water activated inflating PFD's the problem here is getting splashed particularly when going out through surf, they can and will inflate.
JimSammons.com
Old 12-16-2010, 01:48 PM   #33
yani

Chris,

Glad you're safe. Thanks for sharing.
Old 12-16-2010, 01:53 PM   #34
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Machine View Post
Don't they also make water activated pfd's that inflate after being submerged in the water? Of course there would be some trade-offs, but it could solve the comfort vs safety problem. Either way, a pfd is a must 100% of the time. I know, sometimes stuff happens that prevent you from wearing it, either way, Jim is right, we are not all perfect. I used to be a 99% of the time seat-belt wearer until I was thrown from the passenger seat of a pickup truck. I swear to god I will never ride in any vehicle again that I can't get a seatbelt on EVER but that's another story.

Any way........anybody ever heardof the water activated self inflating pfd?
I currently have a auto inflate or water activated PFD it has the Auto inflate and the pull string in the event I go over and it does not auto inflate. I'm planning on getting a new one here soon though because, like Jim stated, I don't want to leave anything to chance. Like he said if I'm knocked out and can't pull the string, and something goes wrong with the auto inflate I don't want to risk it. For what I have been doing lately it works and I'm wearing a PFD, but I want to have a normal PFD before I go out in the ocean.
Old 12-16-2010, 01:59 PM   #35
Jim Sammons LJKF

I once had a client wearing an auto inflate down in Baja that got splashed by a big Roosterfish and inflated. Startled the hell out of him but was Funny as hell to us.
JimSammons.com
Old 12-16-2010, 02:20 PM   #36
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Sammons LJKF View Post
I once had a client wearing an auto inflate down in Baja that got splashed by a big Roosterfish and inflated. Startled the hell out of him but was Funny as hell to us.
Isn't that video on YouTube? After I watched that I started looking for a different PFD. That's what I don't want to happen while I'm fishing. Early Inflation is not good. I hear they have medications for that.
Old 12-16-2010, 02:54 PM   #37
bigbarrels

pfd 100% of the time will save your ass when the shit is hitting the fan....saved my butt......as far as waders go.......my waders only took on a little water initially last Spring during my 45 minute swim. They had to be kicked off immediately though due to inability to swim with those damn booties and fear of them filling up with water......just my .02
bigbarrels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 04:36 PM   #38
deepdvr

Hey Chris why don't you chime in on your experience with the automatic inflatable life vest?
deepdvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 04:49 PM   #39
Hypoxic1

IAuto inflating life vest

I had one of those onboard my kayak. I think I actually had two and had one inside the boat that day. Aparantly the trigger for the vest reacts to moisture, not barometric pressure of sinking.
The one in the boat got wet and BOOM it went off inside the boat. Scared the shit outta me. waaay scarier than this whale event. sounded like a bomb inside the hull.

That is why I dont have the auto inflate mechanism on my harness anymore. Plus if you have to replace one, CAUSE IT GOT WET its like 20 bucks for the trigger.

Jims probably right and a full on vest it the safest way to go. Maybe I should design a comfortable one. I havent found one I like.

lets be careful out there!!
Hypoxic1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 05:00 PM   #40
GregAndrew

Did you have your FF on when you got hit? Just wondering if salvage might be a possibility with a GPS location.

Waders can make an excellent floatation device once removed. You "gulp" air in the top and force it down to the legs. Once both legs are full, you tie off the the top with the suspenders. Lay in the crotch area and you have essentially a pool noodle.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote