Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 11-23-2015, 08:51 AM   #1
Denis_Ruso

Castaic Lagoon 11/22 PB bass

I'm not really a freshwater guy but weary of the offshore winds, we decided to try our luck for an afternoon session at Castaic Lagoon for some bass.

Rolled up to the launch about 12:30 to about 7/8 mph winds. Launched at 12:45 with a cooler full of beer.

Worked the middle of the lake, the edges of the lake, but the wind took us out to the corner by the docks. Threw a big trout bait, small swim baits for a couple of hours. Nada nada enchilada. Gave up and started pounding beers and eating lunch.

Halfway through lunch and most importantly buzzin of the beers, I remebered Old Faithful! 3/8 oz crocodile on 12 lb flouro leader... First Cast 3lb bass. Third cast slightly smaller model went aiborn and shook the croc. Went 1/2 for the day. Personal best bass for my second time bass fishing.

Fun day, nice warm weather. And my buddy also went 1/2 his was a solid 5 lb bass. His personal best for this lake. Tight lines!
Attached Images

Denis_Ruso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 10:00 AM   #2
Iceman
Administrator

Nice, never fished the lower lagoon.
Old 11-23-2015, 11:40 AM   #3
Geno Machino
"Relax"

Sounded like a great way to spend a Sunday afternoon!

Nice job on your PB!!!

Geno

Old 11-24-2015, 07:17 AM   #4
Denis_Ruso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
Nice, never fished the lower lagoon.
It's nice for when the upper lake is blown out, and very laughable how easily you can get around the lake compared to the ocean. I recommend it, I think it was only 11$ to park and 7$ to launch.

Allegedly, back when Castaic only had a weigh station at the lagoon people would catch record/close to record bass and drive them down to the weigh station in their live wells. then release them in the lagoon.
Denis_Ruso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 06:12 PM   #5
FlyFishinYakr

Location: Nor Cal...30 min from Bodega/Tomales Bay, 1hr from Clear Lake, 2+ hr to Berryessa & the Delta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis_Ruso View Post
It's nice for when the upper lake is blown out, and very laughable how easily you can get around the lake compared to the ocean. I recommend it, I think it was only 11$ to park and 7$ to launch.

Allegedly, back when Castaic only had a weigh station at the lagoon people would catch record/close to record bass and drive them down to the weigh station in their live wells. then release them in the lagoon.
FYI: When I first moved out here (back in the day around '79), most bass tournaments on the main lake would hold their weigh-ins down in the lagoon then release the fish there which was a way to "stock" the lagoon with bass.
They discontinued that as word got out about all the big fish being caught in the lagoon brought about more and more pressure.
Then they realized most of the weekend warriors didn't practice C & R and that anything caught of size (2lb's+) were being harvested for bragging rights in the paper.
A few years back, I personally witnessed in 3 separate weeks (on individual days) 5-6 fish over 5lbs (and a handfull more under that) harvested by the launch ramp.
It's been all down hill ever since. I used to be able to catch one fish "on the fly" every trip. Now i'm lucky to catch one on my bass gear on any trip.
Whereas about every other month you heard about a 10lb'er being caught now only a couple times a year you may hear about a 10lb'er+ being caught in the lagoon. My "go to" lake now for big bass (or any for that matter) is Casitas in Ventura.
FFY
FlyFishinYakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 06:30 PM   #6
EastLosYaker

It worked out well for Denis. Nice catch Buddy!
EastLosYaker is offline   Reply With Quote