Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-23-2015, 06:51 PM   #1
GkT

Newbie sayin hi

Hi all, New here, new to yaks and kayak fishing, but have always enjoyed fishing. Live and grew up fishing in Carlsbad, many a summer day between school years were spent with friends fishing the lagoons and jetties. Stopped when I got older, surfing and girls and cars caught my interest, but now (tuning 30 this August) starting to get back to fishing more, relaxing after work and on the weekends.

Been paddling the lagoons with my friends and have been having a blast! I've decided to buy a kayak, and since fishing and kayaking go hand in hand I'm investing in a good fishing kayak. I'm torn currently between the Tarpon and the Malibu Stealth 12' models, but the Stealth is really calling to me with the massive storage and stability.

I've been a shore-based spinning guy for my whole life, and not really been open ocean fishing except for a few half and 3/4-day cattleboat trips, but I'm really looking forward to paddling around the lagoons and bays, learning all the tricks, and maybe hitting the kelp paddies for some calicos!
GkT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 08:00 PM   #2
Cadillyak
Team Get $$

Welcome. Beware though, this can get addictive quick. If u have any questions, im sure they have already been answered before. This site has a wealth of knowledge. If u can't find it just ask. As far as kayaks, I have no experience with either, but am sure someone will chime in!
Cadillyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 08:33 PM   #3
FISH11

Welcome. You thought that cars and girls were expensive, now you've got a new expensive addiction. Good luck!
Old 03-23-2015, 09:08 PM   #4
GkT

Ha! You're telling me! My other hobbies are R/C cars and Photography.

I'm poor.
Old 03-23-2015, 09:50 PM   #5
JeffB

Welcome aboard!
Old 03-23-2015, 10:29 PM   #6
Amish Ed

Welcome. You live in a bass fisherman's paradise. Mission Bay, San Diego Bay, lagoons, inshore, and a bunch of great lakes. Enjoy.
Old 03-23-2015, 10:43 PM   #7
easyday

Welcome to the addiction. We call it that for a reason. I have owned not of the boats your looking at. Well the x factor, same hull though. I sent you a PM. Like others hve said if you can't find it just ask.
Old 03-23-2015, 11:15 PM   #8
fishnfoool

Welcome

I used to own a paddle kayak. I know the hobies cost more, but just in case you have never used one. I recommend you test drive one first before you get disappointed later and wished you had bought one.
fishnfoool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 11:23 PM   #9
GkT

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnfoool View Post
I used to own a paddle kayak. I know the hobies cost more, but just in case you have never used one. I recommend you test drive one first before you get disappointed later and wished you had bought one.
Everyone rants about the Hobies, and everyone I have seen on youtube at LJ and other spots seems to have an Outback or a Revo, so theres gotta be something to it.

Unfortunately for me, the only way I'd be getting a Hobie boat is finding one on here for cheap (which there are) but that hinges on me having a wad of cash up front which I don't have right now. Which is why layaway on a new kayak is looking so appealing.

I just cant justify spending $2300+ on a new mirage boat. Not yet at least. Which is why I'm looking at a loaded Tarpon or Stealth, or even an X-factor. 14' is as long as I can realistically go.
Old 03-24-2015, 03:42 AM   #10
easyday

Let's not get into the whole paddle vs peddle thing. Some people get a little upset when you say you can also catch fish in a paddle yak. Not everyone that paddles wishes they peddled.....ultimately the only thing that matters is that you find a boat that fits YOU, and that you are comfortable in. Weather it's a Hobie or a tarpon you can fish in them all.
Old 03-24-2015, 05:44 AM   #11
Dannowar

Quote:
Originally Posted by GkT View Post
Everyone rants about the Hobies, and everyone I have seen on youtube at LJ and other spots seems to have an Outback or a Revo, so theres gotta be something to it.

Unfortunately for me, the only way I'd be getting a Hobie boat is finding one on here for cheap (which there are) but that hinges on me having a wad of cash up front which I don't have right now. Which is why layaway on a new kayak is looking so appealing.

I just cant justify spending $2300+ on a new mirage boat. Not yet at least. Which is why I'm looking at a loaded Tarpon or Stealth, or even an X-factor. 14' is as long as I can realistically go.
Forget about malibu. Get an ocean/WS/jackson
Old 03-24-2015, 06:05 AM   #12
Deamon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannowar View Post
Forget about malibu. Get an ocean/WS/jackson
Welcome, just remember...if an a-hole (like the guy in the quote above) ever tries to bitch slap you in a reply, just give him one of these and keep posting: Jim
Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 07:55 AM   #13
addicted2sp33d
Here fishy fishy fishy...

Welcome to the party!

This sport can be as expensive or as inexpensive as you make it out to be - don't get scared-off by that.

I'm into Cars/Motorcycles/DIY/etc, and kayak fishing is by-far the cheapest hobbie I have.

In my order of most-expensive to least-expensive:
  • Women - Dude... if I have to explain...
  • Home/Home Improvement - Everything you do has a comma in the price tag!
  • Kids - Expensive right out of the gate... then they keep hitting your wallet like a bruise that won't go away... then they just keep getting bigger and more expensive!
  • Cars - Nothing Nothing Nothing Nothing BAM! Couple Thousand. + Gas
  • Motorcycles - Same as cars, but a little cheaper. + Gas
  • Kayak Fishing - A few hundred initial cost can get you started, and an annual fishing license... incremental trip costs can be financed through loose change between the couch cushions.
addicted2sp33d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 09:50 AM   #14
YakDout
Brandon

Gkt,

Check out this tarpon. These are great paddle kayaks, as I used to own one.

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...ad.php?t=25008

No affiliation.
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 02:38 PM   #15
Mr Fishback

Welcome to the site and the sport!

- Fishback
Mr Fishback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 06:38 AM   #16
GkT

Thanks for the welcome everyone. Cant waIt to get out on the water. still looking for a boat. Anyone used the Trident series from OK? Looks like a pretty decent setup.