Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-2012, 03:02 AM   #21
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowprofile View Post
im saying, it all sounds great now, but with just a paddle or peddles you'll be thinking different when you get 2.5 miles off shore. and before anyone says "its 2 miles to the point, so it should be easy" its only a mile.

did i clear that jumbled mess up?
Its never the distance that's the issue, its more about little thing called Mother nature.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 05:48 AM   #22
TEAMFISH
Team Kayak Obesessions

Damn, looks like I just made some friends. I've been wanting to use her as a mothership since I got the yak. That was a year ago and she hasn't been out since that or longer. The unfortunate part is that it's only a 25 footer and can get crowded real quick. I'm going to do an Island trip with two other guys and see how that works out. I've done the Catalina thing without yaks and three guys is comfortable. Sleeps two down below, one on deck. Porta-potty, B.B.Q., two ice chests, two bait tanks, full electronics (radar took a shit) MP3 and huge fish hold. Due to a busy life and rising fuel prices (1-1/2 m.p.g.) the yak was bought and she sat. Now I'm itching for some speed and distance.
I'll give a full report on her first "Skipyak" trip. Would love to get everyone out there but due to limited load capacities the waiting list may be a little long.
TEAMFISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 04:32 PM   #23
Drake

Been talking to some of the Helo pilots on base. Seems like I may have been able to get us a "spotter" doing a "training mission." Just need to pick a date a few weeks in advance so they can make it happen. Needs to be done SOON!
Old 08-22-2012, 04:40 PM   #24
October
Fish Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
Been talking to some of the Helo pilots on base. Seems like I may have been able to get us a "spotter" doing a "training mission." Just need to pick a date a few weeks in advance so they can make it happen. Needs to be done SOON!

thats freakin sick!

man, with connections like this, i really need to make friends with some of you! A kayak mission like that sounds like a blast
Old 08-22-2012, 05:21 PM   #25
MrM

Quote:
That is BAD ASS!

Hey, if they want, we could spice things up. One of us could wear a turban and bring a really big camera.

/sarcasm
Old 08-22-2012, 06:06 PM   #26
carbonbass

Quote:
as long as it was a weekend id be in...the more the merrier, as many of you know some of the paddies have 100's of dodos on them, more than enough for some yakkers....
carbonbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 06:19 PM   #27
danjor

Quote:
im saying, it all sounds great now, but with just a paddle or peddles you'll be thinking different when you get 2.5 miles off shore. and before anyone says "its 2 miles to the point, so it should be easy" its only a mile.

And reasons like this is why im in the process of setting up a trolling motor to increase range. Just recived a very sexy battery in the mail yesterday, 100ah 12.8v lifepo4 pack. Should give 80ah of useful battery combined with PWM controler and im looking at ranges of up to 20 miles on one charge if i keep throttle under 75% with no voltage sag, downside is 14 hour charge time. But plus side is it only weighs 24lbs so carrying 2 could be possible just need the cash. All said and done $750 for battery and battery management chip including hazmat shipping lol
danjor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 07:33 PM   #28
Drake

Quote:

Says the guys who doesn't have a GPS...

You'd be suprised to know that one of the most popular LJ fishing grounds is just under 3 miles away according to my chart plotter.
Old 08-22-2012, 07:35 PM   #29
Drake

Quote:
Originally Posted by October View Post

thats freakin sick!

man, with connections like this, i really need to make friends with some of you! A kayak mission like that sounds like a blast
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrM View Post
That is BAD ASS!

Hey, if they want, we could spice things up. One of us could wear a turban and bring a really big camera.

/sarcasm
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbonbass View Post
as long as it was a weekend id be in...the more the merrier, as many of you know some of the paddies have 100's of dodos on them, more than enough for some yakkers....
I'll talk to my buddy with a 46ft boat, See if he's be willing to take a few kayaks out. I'll update as the info comes about
Old 08-23-2012, 07:03 PM   #30
vincentek9
MAYNEE-YAK

going paddy hunting on a yak is tough. low to the ground and you dont cover ground fast. going on a boat is awesome though!
Old 08-23-2012, 08:31 PM   #31
lowprofile
#1 on fishstick's hitlist

Quote:
Says the guys who doesn't have a GPS...

You'd be suprised to know that one of the most popular LJ fishing grounds is just under 3 miles away according to my chart plotter.
i have a GPS... i just don't have one built into my FF.

and.. get this. i dont have a FF right now either. it was only good for making bait anyways.
Old 08-25-2012, 12:57 AM   #32
Cbad Mike

Distance isn't that big of a deal. I'm more worried about the wind. I'd love to give it a try though, especially with some numbers from the greatest military on Earth. If anyone happens to hear of a target paddie PLEASE count me in and send me a PM.
Cbad Mike is offline   Reply With Quote