Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 06-11-2017, 11:19 AM   #1
Bruntoj

Cable caps for GPS

Has anyone found cable caps that fit Lowrance transducer power cables? I drybag my fish finder when launching/landing so my cables get wet every time and end up looking like this:

And that's AFTER cleaning with spray contact cleaner and canned blow dry.

Searching online it seems like the Lowrance connector might be a standard "NMEA 0183" but the only weather cap might be a Garmin weather cap upc 753759067663.

Has anyone solved this problem already, maybe found a common household cap that fits? I tried looking at electrical caps in HD/Lowes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Bruntoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 11:45 AM   #2
FISH11

All your connections should always have a generous coating of dielectric grease to prevent corrosion. Also always connect the battery last and disconnect first when putting in your fish finder or any electrical component. Never leave the battery connected to the harness when in storage.
Old 06-11-2017, 12:07 PM   #3
Bruntoj

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISH11 View Post
All your connections should always have a generous coating of dielectric grease to prevent corrosion. Also always connect the battery last and disconnect first when putting in your fish finder or any electrical component. Never leave the battery connected to the harness when in storage.

I've lubed it with dielectric in the past and all that seems to do is result in a messy green(corrosion) sludge that appears to be a mix of grease and water.

Old 06-11-2017, 12:45 PM   #4
YakDout
Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruntoj View Post
I've lubed it with dielectric in the past and all that seems to do is result in a messy green(corrosion) sludge that appears to be a mix of grease and water.

You need to add the grease before you get the corrosion not after.
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 01:24 PM   #5
ful-rac
Emperor

#1 Don't leave your battery connected to wires that are exposed. When disconnecting fish finder disconnect battery first then fish finder. When connecting, connect your fish finder then connect your battery. If you want use a light coating of dielectric grease, it's okay but don't go crazy with it. If you put too much grease on it there is a possibility of damaging your fish finder contacts by hydraulic pressure when you connect it!
Old 06-11-2017, 02:15 PM   #6
MITCHELL
Sea Hunter

Location: Where ever I may roam where I lay my head I call home.
Send a message via AIM to MITCHELL
Rise your plug connecter with fresh water...

As soon as you get off salt water, always disconnect battery no matter what. I tape a plastic bag over my graph with battery disconnected when I go through the surf, then i ripe plastic bag open and plug battery in when I come back through surf I take off my graph off and put it in a dry box.

Last edited by MITCHELL; 06-11-2017 at 02:41 PM.
MITCHELL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 02:16 PM   #7
kirkdavis

Balloons

Dielectric grease is good, but you are talking about your connectors being exposed when you land. I couldn't find covers, so at first I would just wrap a grocery bag around the cable ends. Now that we can no longer get cheap plastic grocery bags to be reused for many other purposes.....OK, I'll get off my soap box.
Use balloons. You can buy a whole bag for a buck or two. Sometimes they tear after one use, but they are still cheap. You could probably go high-end and get the helium grade balloons that would last longer, but I'm a tightwad.
kirkdavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 09:23 PM   #8
Bruntoj

If I could find the "male" end of the power connector, like what's on the fish finder unit, I could just screw that on while in the surf. Or find a cheap extension cord that I could cut the male end from, but it seems they don't exist. I couldn't find the name of the connector: NMEA 2000 or NMEA 0183 seem close. Anybody know the industry name for the red power connector?

Old 06-12-2017, 01:32 PM   #9
ful-rac
Emperor

Here's what I use..

As well as following procedure for connecting and disconnecting my fish finder, I also have caps for the plugs just like you asked.

Here it what I use.

They are soft rubber plastic caps, made with the same material as the caps that are on the back of your fish finder, for those unused plugs.
Old 06-12-2017, 05:56 PM   #10
Reiner

I have the same yellow caps as above and bought them for about a dollar at home depot. They were in the same section as all the screws.
Reiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 07:17 PM   #11
Bruntoj

Quote:
Originally Posted by ful-rac View Post
As well as following procedure for connecting and disconnecting my fish finder, I also have caps for the plugs just like you asked.

Here it what I use.

They are soft rubber plastic caps, made with the same material as the caps that are on the back of your fish finder, for those unused plugs.

Hang on...how are you fitting those round caps over the octagonal caps? (see my first corrosion pic). I thought I was looking for something that fits the inner round section?

Old 06-12-2017, 07:34 PM   #12
PescadorPete

Here's what I use, over the inner section. Very watertight. A dab of dielectric grease on the inside. I use the same on the back of the fish finder. I got them at Marshall's Industrial hardware in Miramar. They have a large selection of types and sizes.

PescadorPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 07:40 PM   #13
Bruntoj

Quote:
Originally Posted by PescadorPete View Post
Here's what I use, over the inner section. Very watertight. A dab of dielectric grease on the inside. I use the same on the back of the fish finder. I got them at Marshall's Industrial hardware in Miramar. They have a large selection of types and sizes.

Awesome, thank you so much! I'll head there later this week.

Old 06-12-2017, 09:03 PM   #14
ful-rac
Emperor

Quote:
Hang on...how are you fitting those round caps over the octagonal caps? (see my first corrosion pic). I thought I was looking for something that fits the inner round section?

The caps are made out of a soft plastic/rubber type material. It easily stretches over the lowrance plugs, and covers them.
Old 06-13-2017, 02:50 PM   #15
Baja_Traveler

Contact Lowrance and get the real thing. I'm just now installing structurescan on my PA, and one of the cables came with this cap. Since it will be permanent below deck, I moved the cap up to my power cord to the finder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Baja_Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 03:07 PM   #16
ful-rac
Emperor

Yeaaah I got those...They would be great if they stayed on, but they just don't fit tightly enough for my liking, they were constantly falling off. If they work for you great!
Old 06-16-2017, 02:02 PM   #17
Bruntoj

19 cents each at Marshalls Industrial Supply near Miramar. That place is like a toy store for grown ups

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-16-2017, 02:21 PM   #18
Reiner

Perfect
Reiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 07:29 PM   #19
katchfish
Paddle for Mahi

http://www.marshallshardware.com

They have an amazing selection of stainless steel fasteners too.
katchfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 12:59 PM   #20
JayDee
Junior

Quote:
19 cents each at Marshalls Industrial Supply near Miramar. That place is like a toy store for grown ups

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Do you have the part number or size? I have the Lowrance Hook 5
JayDee is offline   Reply With Quote