Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-30-2008, 04:58 PM   #1
peguinpower
bing!

Whose your DAiwa?

Sent my two 253 Lunas to Daiwa for service. One is a year old, the other, almost 2. One reel started tick tocking like a clock on the retrieve and the other did not lay line right. More line on one side than the other.

Well, got them back today. Good as new! Completely rebuilt with some new bearings and completely new drags!

Whose my daddy? DAIWA! Coz, everything was under warranty! New drags, new bearings and rebuilt for 0.00 dollars

/bing

peguinpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 05:23 PM   #2
slanteyedtuna

Good deal. Did you have to send in a receipt? I have a saltist 30t and millionaire that need some repairs as well. They are both out of warranty but I wonder how generous Daiwa is feeling.
slanteyedtuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 05:31 PM   #3
peguinpower
bing!

no receipt. i did call, asked what to do. the guy said send it in and we'll see. asked for his name and sent a note with the reels.

that invoice is for one of the reels, I have another one, with more bearings replaced. Gotta love this sort of customer service.

/bing
Old 01-30-2008, 07:15 PM   #4
lamb

Yeah, but how ling did you wait??

I sent my Saltiga in to Daiwa service twice so far...

Call in first, out of warranty... $35, not bad.

I sent the reel in, and a couple of weeks later - I got an invoice... Sent the check in... Then after some more time - got the reel. It seemed to take a long time.

My experience with reel manufacturer service was the best with Avet. I had situations where I sent the reel on Monday, to have it back fixed on my doorstep on Thursday. More than once. And from what I remember, they charge $25?
Old 01-30-2008, 08:06 PM   #5
peguinpower
bing!

I did not get over night, well, not even 3 day service. I believe they got the reel on the 16th, and I got it back on the 30th.

It was not a short wait, but when I called before hand, they did say about 2 weeks.

/bing
Old 01-31-2008, 07:07 AM   #6
steveooo

Daiwa Customer Service Rocks. I didn't want the down time so I called to see if they could send me the parts I needed. No charge for the parts or for the two day shipping on them! The reel was still under mfr warranty though, but either way, its good to find companys that stand by their product.

Avet is also good, but I find that after only a few outings, they were already gummed up again. Great reel, fast turnaround, but the 4 that I have need a little more TLC than I am willing to give them.
steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 07:15 AM   #7
steveooo

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamb View Post
Yeah, but how ling did you wait??
Ling Cod Season opens on April 1st
Old 01-31-2008, 08:19 AM   #8
peguinpower
bing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveooo View Post
Daiwa Customer Service Rocks. I didn't want the down time so I called to see if they could send me the parts I needed. No charge for the parts or for the two day shipping on them! The reel was still under mfr warranty though, but either way, its good to find companys that stand by their product.

Avet is also good, but I find that after only a few outings, they were already gummed up again. Great reel, fast turnaround, but the 4 that I have need a little more TLC than I am willing to give them.
gummed up? why?

I have heard that lever drags let salt crystals grow on the drags and some other parts. Same thing happens on my Daiwa LD50H lever drag reel.

Just saying its might be a lever drag thing rather than an Avet issue.

/bing
Old 01-31-2008, 10:10 AM   #9
steveooo

I am going to get my avets serviced one more time and then set them aside for my tuna trips. I'm not sure if I am harder on reels than most, but all I know is that after 5 kayak trips or so with the avets, they are unusable for me. Zero free spool, super hard to crank. Avets are great reels for pulling on tuna with though. If you are meticulous with reel care, Avets might work 4 you. I am not. I do not rinse, don't even wipe them down.
Either way, both are great companies with outstanding customer service.
Old 01-31-2008, 12:50 PM   #10
Handymansd
Ancient Member

I have never owned a Diawa despite it's popularity with the kayak fishing community. However, I do own 6 Avets. I like the Company because they have overnighted me parts in the past at no charge, they are quick, they are service oriented to us small guys, and they are really good at making sure that SquidCo has everything you could ever need for servicing your Avets. I like the reels because they are extremely easy to service yourself! I service my own reels and have never had a problem. It was so easy that I chide myself for be scarred the first time I did it. I have found that if I periodically apply drag grease to the drag washers, and completely wipe it all back off again that they have never need to be replaced and they work great! (I do rinse mine with pressurized tap water to rid the reel of any salt after each trip though...)

I would be glad to share the knowledge of rebuilding the Avets as it was passed down to me.....Thanks Matt!

Handymansd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 04:21 PM   #11
GHOSTHUNTR

If you dont at least rinse the reel down after fishing(especially kayak fishing) no reel will last long. I've used an Avet lever drag out there for two seasons and it still works like new.
GHOSTHUNTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 05:01 PM   #12
h2ofishfo

FOR 1 U MIGHT GET THE AVET BACK FASTER JUST 2 SHEER VOLUME THAT DIAWA GETS 2 WHAT AVET GETS AVET IS SMALL COMP.COMPARED 2 DIAWA THAT BEING SAID I HAVE ALWAYS HAD GREAT CUST. SRVC W/BOTH
h2ofishfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 10:10 PM   #13
lamb

Avet is not a reel you can neglect.

I always wash mine off with the water. Seems to be better than not do it. I had 3 out of 4 stop on me after 3 days in Baja without rinsing.

True for servicing them. It is really easy, once you do it a few times.
Avets are great reals when you learn how to take care of them.

The biggest thing people screw up on Avets are those tiny washers. You know, lil' ones that are curved.

You put 'em () ().

or (()).

You do ((((, and you're hosed. Lever won't engage.

Been there.