Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-02-2008, 07:50 PM   #1
peguinpower
bing!

How much do you like your colored FF?

I got a gift card from Xmas and I want an FF for one my yaks.

A transponder kit would be good but 78 buck for wires is just too much. For 150 I can get a decent unit.

I'd rather add some bucks and get a back up unit, or for a colored FF a new primary one

How much do you like your colored FF?

I'm thinking Humminbird 343c. I'm sticking with single or dual freq Humminbirds so I can switch it around tubs.

Thanks.

/bing
peguinpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 07:55 AM   #2
Matt
Support your local pangas

I have liked my color ff's in the past although currently I am using a monochrome, I would tend to stick with lowrance or garmin as their customer service is absolutely unbeatable!
Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 08:11 AM   #3
nmbrinkman
Work Sucks!

Whatever you do, buy it from west marine and get the warranty upgrade they offer. I didn't buy mine from there and kinda regret it. Only had mine for a year and the contacts have corroded. Now my fish finder flakes out on me while on the water and I may be out $300+...
nmbrinkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 08:18 AM   #4
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

I recommend an internal GPS system over color, but if money is no object, color is nice... The no hassle West Marine warranty seems the way to go...

chris
Holy Mackerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 08:54 AM   #5
peguinpower
bing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmbrinkman View Post
Whatever you do, buy it from west marine and get the warranty upgrade they offer. I didn't buy mine from there and kinda regret it. Only had mine for a year and the contacts have corroded. Now my fish finder flakes out on me while on the water and I may be out $300+...
dont despair. send it in for a fix. that will still be less than a new one. if I remember correctly, garmin has an 80 flat fee.

then after that, buy a pack of dielectric grease. Ive been using it for 3 years with no contact corrosion problems.

/bing
Old 02-03-2008, 09:36 AM   #6
gary sullivan

Quote:
Originally Posted by peguinpower View Post
dont despair. send it in for a fix. that will still be less than a new one. if I remember correctly, garmin has an 80 flat fee.
Ditto on that. Garmin replaced my 250 unit for free the first year and for $100 dollars the second time around. I now am more careful about letting water get on and about it.
gary sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 08:50 PM   #7
Handymansd
Ancient Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmbrinkman View Post
Whatever you do, buy it from west marine and get the warranty upgrade they offer. I didn't buy mine from there and kinda regret it.
I usually think the extended warranties are a joke but I must say that all of my electronic equipment now gets them! I have replaced numerous things including my VHF 2 times, and my Garmin GPS twice as well. Each time it was a no hassle experience with in store trades! Can't beat that!
On the prevention side, you can get a 4-6oz can of silicone grease (dilectric grease) for like $20, I use it for lots of things to protect from the harsh kayak enviorment.

Handymansd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 06:12 AM   #8
FISHIONADO

I have a color FF/GPS unit, it hasn't helped me catch any more fish since I had a B/W model. I agree with Chris that having GPS in the unit is more important, and I would recommend an internal GPS antenna to keep the install clean. The external antenna units are for powerboats where the display unit might be inside the cabin and the antenna outside.
FISHIONADO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 10:53 AM   #9
peguinpower
bing!

I think the internal GPS is a good thing. But from my purposes, going from kayak to kayak, sometimes boats, finding launch sites (I get around ) and a centralized database for fishing spots (including driving directions), I like my hand held GPS (old school Garmin 60cs).

And most of all, its mounted on my PFD together with my radio. Just in case I need to call for help and get separated from my kayak, I got directions for the CG

/bing
Old 02-04-2008, 02:41 PM   #10
mg2969

Quote:
Originally Posted by peguinpower View Post
I think the internal GPS is a good thing. But from my purposes, going from kayak to kayak, sometimes boats, finding launch sites (I get around ) and a centralized database for fishing spots (including driving directions), I like my hand held GPS (old school Garmin 60cs).

And most of all, its mounted on my PFD together with my radio. Just in case I need to call for help and get separated from my kayak, I got directions for the CG

/bing
Seems like a smart and safe way to go
mg2969 is offline   Reply With Quote