Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-2015, 03:42 AM   #1
FlyFishinYakr

Location: Nor Cal...30 min from Bodega/Tomales Bay, 1hr from Clear Lake, 2+ hr to Berryessa & the Delta
Anyone paying attention to the S.D. Sportboat counts?

Anyone notice a couple Wahoo in the local counts (3/4 day trips) Sunday?!?
They started showing up on the 1.5+day trips last Monday.
Best of luck to anyone who targets any of the exotics that are still passing this way. I wish I was in some kind of physical condition to help in the hunt!
Any side bets as to whether someone gets one this year?
FFY
FlyFishinYakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 07:09 AM   #2
chris138
donkey roper

Ya they are close, but not kayak range. My dad got an 80#er on Saturday. Let's hope they keep swimming our way!
chris138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 08:16 AM   #3
Iceman
Administrator

Quote:
Ya they are close, but not kayak range.
In the OC there have been several boated inside the inner banks

Cheater pedal/blow boat run in the works October should be CRAZY!
Old 09-28-2015, 08:35 AM   #4
taggermike

I always check the sport counts. Gives a general idea of what's going on. If they fish off shore in in shore can give a hint. Mostly cause I used to fish sporties and I'm still curious. Targeting wahoo from the yak is really a billion to one gamble. The distance is prohibitive as is the fact that there aren't many in our waters. But hey, there are tuna, dodos, marlin, and yellows in the same area. So even missing a wahoo puts you in the area to catch a bunch of other great fish. I fish from a Buddy's boat and have 2 heavy irons rigged with wire just in case. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 09:51 AM   #5
YakDout
Brandon

Hooked two on my 1.5 day this weekend. Both cut me off almost immediately. Got a couple nice dorado though. And plugged the boat with yft. They were biting 50 lb mono, I was bouncing a tuna on the deck every 2-3 minutes on the last school. Troller went off and got spooled in about 30 seconds by a BIG blue marlin as well. Penn senator started smoking. Pretty funny to watch as I was watching the rod next to the guys who went off. He looked at the reel as this fish was dumping 400 yards of line. When it got close to the knot he hooked the strap back up the reel so he didnt lose the rod, and BINK. Down to the knot!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443462697.398539.jpg
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 09:50 AM   #6
taggermike

YakDout, that must have been a helpless feeling seeing that senetor melting down. Blues smoke 400 yards off penn intetnational 130s in 30 seconds too. That poor senator never stood a chance. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 11:02 AM   #7
JeffB

They were getting wahoo at the rock pile. I know the 43, 302, 312, 289 are producing them as well. There is dodo galor out there right now as well. My buddy fishes strictly offshore and has been killing it. I might get out to the 9 and 302 Friday
Old 09-29-2015, 07:25 PM   #8
surfisher

The wahoo are in really close! Guys out of O'side are consistently getting them 5-8 miles off the golf ball, off kelp paddies too. Along with limits of yellowfin and dorado added in the mix. They are in close like the tuna were earlier in the summer. I'm sure someone on here is gonna hook one before we know it. Unfortunately, we have struck out in the wahoo department when on my dads boat.