Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-21-2015, 01:40 AM   #1
FlyFishinYakr

Location: Nor Cal...30 min from Bodega/Tomales Bay, 1hr from Clear Lake, 2+ hr to Berryessa & the Delta
Re: Wader Sale

In case anyone is interested...Madison River Fishing Company (one of my regular destinations for end of season clearance sales, which I usually check in November but was distracted last year due to my legal/medical issues) is having a Closeout on Redington Sonic Pro Waders for $129.95 and they still have most ALL sizes (as far as I know right now!)
These aren't the best waders on the Market but they are pretty darn good quality for the price with sonically WELDED not sewn seams! For any of you that are unsure of the difference, sewn seams require a needle piercing the material to secure the sections together, while sonic welding is just that ultra sonic waves are focused along a seam to weld the sections together. Sonic welding in the last 10 years or so had become the standard in wet weather clothing construction. The used to tape over seams inside and out on a regular basis ("just in case") but quality control had become so good that it is almost unnecessary these days (except in the case of Expedition or Heavy Use (checkout most of the Bassmaster Professionals...they are wearing Simms gear) clothing where failure is not an option!
I hope this help those of you looking for waders at a decent ("won't break the bank" sneak past or justify to the 'wifey' ) price!
FFY
FlyFishinYakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 11:10 AM   #2
radastaff

hrmmm
dunno

actually
went to the site u listed...
Redington "Sonic-Pro" Ultra Packable Wader

http://www.mrfc.com/MadisonRiverShop...x?CategoryID=4

waders are packable version
lighter and a tan color im not fond of

maybe I just cant find the right clearance page?

reviews not super at ...
http://www.yellowstoneangler.com/gea...elas-bootfoots
this for the regular sonic pros at 300 bucks

I think the g3s are stitched
seems both techs welded and stitched are fine now a days
see above link for info on this...

"Stitched –vs–Welded, what’s better?
Excellent question. Manufactures like Orvis, Redington, and Dan Bailey’s have substantial add campaigns suggesting the superiority of welded seems, (after all stiches make holes, and holes leak, right)? Manufactures like Simms and Patagonia who do not use welded seam technology claim they’ve tried it and have rejected its durability. Both Simms and Patagonia have a multitude of statistical data from “Killer wash” tests (basically putting your waders in the washing machine and washing them for 24 hours straight), which indicate stitched seams are significantly more durable than those with welded seams."

looking for g3 closeouts I think still

too bad the simms headwaters at your site are not in my size

P

Last edited by radastaff; 02-21-2015 at 11:35 AM.
radastaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 07:36 AM   #3
FlyFishinYakr

Location: Nor Cal...30 min from Bodega/Tomales Bay, 1hr from Clear Lake, 2+ hr to Berryessa & the Delta
Quote:
Originally Posted by radastaff View Post
hrmmm
dunno

actually
went to the site u listed...
Redington "Sonic-Pro" Ultra Packable Wader

http://www.mrfc.com/MadisonRiverShop...x?CategoryID=4

waders are packable version
lighter and a tan color im not fond of

maybe I just cant find the right clearance page?

reviews not super at ...
http://www.yellowstoneangler.com/gea...elas-bootfoots
this for the regular sonic pros at 300 bucks

I think the g3s are stitched
seems both techs welded and stitched are fine now a days
see above link for info on this...

"Stitched –vs–Welded, what’s better?
Excellent question. Manufactures like Orvis, Redington, and Dan Bailey’s have substantial add campaigns suggesting the superiority of welded seems, (after all stiches make holes, and holes leak, right)? Manufactures like Simms and Patagonia who do not use welded seam technology claim they’ve tried it and have rejected its durability. Both Simms and Patagonia have a multitude of statistical data from “Killer wash” tests (basically putting your waders in the washing machine and washing them for 24 hours straight), which indicate stitched seams are significantly more durable than those with welded seams."

looking for g3 closeouts I think still

too bad the simms headwaters at your site are not in my size

P
George's reviews are a little skewed, like comparing Apples to Watermelons.
You can't compare these lightweight waders to the standard Gore-tex waders Simms G3's and Patagonia Rio Gallegos or Orvis waders.
You are correct noting that they are lightweight packable versions of their standard ones.
He doesn't address personnel budget etc. but I agree at regular retail I wouldn't touch these.
I attempted to do business with him years ago and he attempted to direct me to inventory he carried with higher margins! Needless to say I have never done business with him.
For reviews on equipment I generally refer to shops who actually fanatically put their equipment through the practical torture of "daily" wear (Bob Marriott's in Fullerton, The Fly Shop in Redding, CA, Dan Bailey's in Livingston, MT., Blue Ribbon Flies in West Yellowstone, MT., MRFC-Madison River Fishing Company Ennis, MT) and a number other shops back East and in the Rockies. These shops will address your personal concerns and if your working on a budget, they will do their best to work with you.
But as a longtime owner of Simms clothing and skeptical of any new technology. I waited for 2 years after the introduction of Gore-tex [in 93 (?)] before buying a pair due to concerns over leaking. But I broke down after getting tired of sweating through my neoprene Streamline (bought by Redington) waders.
I still own those pairs! However through a personnel contact, I was able to obtain 2 original G3 waders (the ones sewn & welded on the inside taped on both sides, with 5-layers from the waist down! Now designated G4). I don't compare them to my other 2 pairs of Patagonia Lightweight waders though!
The only reason I posted this sale was because most members on this site are usually working on a limited budget and have objected to the price of most breathable waders, even when on clearance. And at least these have a 1 year warrantee.
I wish you good luck in finding the G3's on clearance.
FFY
FlyFishinYakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 10:35 PM   #4
radastaff

well thanks
looks like I might need some luck
haven't seen em on sale since looking last year or so

my only pair are Hodgeman's
cheap and on clearance when I picked them up few years back
still no major leaks but suspenders are stretched out

was surprised they lasted as long as they did actually

still fairly new to wearing waders