Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 10-17-2014, 06:05 AM   #21
FlyFishinYakr

Location: Nor Cal...30 min from Bodega/Tomales Bay, 1hr from Clear Lake, 2+ hr to Berryessa & the Delta
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregAndrew View Post
Awesome! Hope this years influx of inshore beasts become a new set of homeguards for the next couple years. I stress much more the entire fight when I have not retied than I would for the 2 minutes of lost fishing time from the retie. But I still continue to put it off
Yeah, but when the fishing's "HOT" it's hard to justify taking time out to re-tie'
I can tie on a new hook with a Palomar in 30 seconds. On a boat there was no sense in trying to retrieve the hook so I always wrapped the line around my ankle and "snapped" the hook off or cut it off to force me to retie. Trying to retrieve a hook can take almost as much time as tying on a new one!
Also after getting wrapped in kelp I take my line and run it through my fingers "feeling" for frays.
It is' a necessary evil. There's nothing like bringing a huge fish up only to feel the and upon checking your line it broke at a frayed spot!
It took me a couple of 3/5-day trips and many lost fish to figure that out! (Along with some ribbing from the skippers/deckhands I knew or the ones that knew I would take it in stride).
By the time I went on my first 7-day on the RP it was drilled into us by the crew after landing each huge tuna (150#'ers+ on that trip). I lost a couple at color that were estimated over 150lb. Then one over 200# (estimated at 225# on a 10-day Excel) after working him for just over 2 hours(?) and almost being spooled twice on my 50SW, because I hadn't checked the line after landing my last fish(that one I'll always remember as that would have been my personal best!)
With the size/type of fish showing up out here, I'd be out there with fresh line (not used more than 3X or any top-shot).
Knowing the amount of talent here on this site I would not be surprised, if someone really wanted to...I'm sure that someone could have a chance to set a record!
FFY
FlyFishinYakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 06:09 PM   #22
crazywakeboarder

Can a dropper loop be tied using flouro? Or is it too brittle to do?
crazywakeboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 04:12 PM   #23
steveooo

Nice fish and nice old school report
steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 05:41 PM   #24
alexreelin
Junior

Wow

That's awesome! I am new to kayak fishing! What is dp mean?
alexreelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 05:57 PM   #25
rossman
Marginally Irrelevant

On this site it means Dana Point...... Usually.
"When beholding the tranquil beauty and brilliancy of the ocean’s skin, one forgets the tiger heart that pants beneath it; and would not willingly remember that this velvet paw but conceals a remorseless fang. "
— Herman Melville

Y'all come see me now, hear!
rossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 07:44 PM   #26
T-Rex

Congrats on the PB