Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-2016, 07:59 PM   #1
Harry Hill

Another slow day on Mission Bay

I am not having the best luck on the bay lately, it's probably because I'm getting on the water to late in the morning, had a couple of bites on bait but nothing got stuck. Jigs and like went zippo. Still a beautiful day to be out there. Had the wife with me again in the Malibu Tandem, I'm sure glad it wasn't cold because my butt was wet from the beginning.The back seat doesn't drain at all but it sure does take on a lot of water, I think it's a pretty poor design as far as that is concerned. On the plus side it does paddle nice and seems to cover a lot of water easily. It's a little hard to set up for two fishing from it without getting in each others way but we manage. Other than being wet all of the time though it seems to be okay. I have already decided though that it isn't a permanent part of my fleet, there has to be way to kayak without having a soggy bottom all day. One thing I know though, I love fishing, even when I'm not catching fish, the only thing I like more is hunting.
Harry Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 10:46 PM   #2
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

Harry one of the reasons I sold my 2 Malibu kayaks (Stealth and X-Factor) was because of the wet butt all day. Wearing waders solved it, as did wearing paddle pants. But in summertime I just wanted to wear shorts so the pants weren't an option for me. I got some neoprene shorts to try and they kept the water off me but they kept the sweat inside too so you still end up with a different kind of swamp ass. What worked best for me was to add a Thermarest pad on my seat which elevated me just enough to make a difference, as well as doubling my comfort time. Make sure if you have seat scuppers to leave them open for draining age. In the end I switched to a kayak with an elevated seat (Kraken) and am dry and comfortable all day. It's elevated seats for me from now on.
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 05:55 AM   #3
Harry Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanw View Post
Harry one of the reasons I sold my 2 Malibu kayaks (Stealth and X-Factor) was because of the wet butt all day. Wearing waders solved it, as did wearing paddle pants. But in summertime I just wanted to wear shorts so the pants weren't an option for me. I got some neoprene shorts to try and they kept the water off me but they kept the sweat inside too so you still end up with a different kind of swamp ass. What worked best for me was to add a Thermarest pad on my seat which elevated me just enough to make a difference, as well as doubling my comfort time. Make sure if you have seat scuppers to leave them open for draining age. In the end I switched to a kayak with an elevated seat (Kraken) and am dry and comfortable all day. It's elevated seats for me from now on.
thanks Alan, I started out with a Bass Pro Ascend FS12T which has a great seat but is slow and only one person but very stable, you can stand on it. I needed a two person so I can help my wife fish. When it gets colder I can wear my paddle pants but it's been warm so I've only been wearing shorts. I guess I will look at the Jackson Cuda, it's supposed to have good seats. I'll do a lot more research before I buy the next boat.
Old 02-21-2016, 06:06 AM   #4
Dave Legacy

It's weird, but I really don't get that wet on my P2T so long as the water isn't very rough. I guess I don't mind too much when I do get wet, because I haven't given it much thought. Especially when in the solo seated position you're up on the hatch with gutters on either side. The Jackson Big Tuna has the nice seats and room for two, but honestly tandems are a real pain to force into fishing service. You ought to just deal with the tandem when you want to spend time with your wife and get a single for times you're serious about fishing.

I have three small kids, so I kinda have to have a tandem around, maybe more than one in all reality. Sorry to hear it's not working out for you. BTW, I'm 160# and maybe my light weight, and paddling with children, is keeping me higher off the water?
Dave Legacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 06:39 AM   #5
Harry Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Legacy View Post
It's weird, but I really don't get that wet on my P2T so long as the water isn't very rough. I guess I don't mind too much when I do get wet, because I haven't given it much thought. Especially when in the solo seated position you're up on the hatch with gutters on either side. The Jackson Big Tuna has the nice seats and room for two, but honestly tandems are a real pain to force into fishing service. You ought to just deal with the tandem when you want to spend time with your wife and get a single for times you're serious about fishing.

I have three small kids, so I kinda have to have a tandem around, maybe more than one in all reality. Sorry to hear it's not working out for you. BTW, I'm 160# and maybe my light weight, and paddling with children, is keeping me higher off the water?
I'm about 215 lbs so I do sit lower in the water. I think what bothers me most is there is no way for the water to drain from the seat. The back of the yak drains right into the seat. I would have designed it with scuppers so the seat isn't a reservoir. I have yet to try it solo yet but will pretty soon. I like the seats I bought so that is a plus. I don't mind getting wet but I would appreciate a way for the seat to drain. Maybe with version two the designers will be actual kayakers and try the yak out in rough water. It will be fine in the summer time.
Old 02-21-2016, 09:03 AM   #6
2-Stix

Hobies have elevated seats. I was once part of the soggy bottom crew until I bough a Hobie Outback.
2-Stix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 11:43 AM   #7
stoned-trout

always dry ..if real rough I just use spray skirt ,,,and lower to the water for stability and not becoming a sail in strong wind...
Old 02-21-2016, 04:50 PM   #8
Amish Ed

Bummer on the slow day, but at least you got out. I'm aiming for Newport on Thursday.
Old 02-21-2016, 04:54 PM   #9
Harry Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amish Ed View Post
Bummer on the slow day, but at least you got out. I'm aiming for Newport on Thursday.
I'll try to join you, I want to try this boat solo. Let me know what time you will be getting there.
Old 02-21-2016, 04:58 PM   #10
Amish Ed

Probably be 6am in the parking lot. 6:30ish launch.
Old 02-21-2016, 05:15 PM   #11
Harry Hill

Quote:
Probably be 6am in the parking lot. 6:30ish launch.
sounds good, I'll try to be there.
Old 02-22-2016, 12:43 PM   #12
Jacurley45

Aquahunter and I were at Mission Bay near Mission Park area. We didn't really see any kayak fisherman except for some leaving in morning. Only caught legal spottie and missed some bites as I was tying another rod's hook. Slow day for sure.
Jacurley45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 01:17 PM   #13
Harry Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacurley45 View Post
Aquahunter and I were at Mission Bay near Mission Park area. We didn't really see any kayak fisherman except for some leaving in morning. Only caught legal spottie and missed some bites as I was tying another rod's hook. Slow day for sure.
I went to Mission Point Park first but the parking lot was full, saw a kayaker loading up to leave but we didn't stop to talk to him. Then I headed over to the beach on the island and launched there. I did see a couple of schools of bait fish jumping so there was something chasing them. Saw a couple of fly fisherman over by OEX and picked up some bites by the walking bridge but we didn't get hooked up with anything. There was a man fishing from the beach when we landed to leave, he had a screamer of a hook up while I was loading up but he was too far from his rod and it was over with by the time he grabbed it. It's a pisser to paddle over the whole danged bay and watch some bank fisherman hook up at the launch point.
Old 02-22-2016, 01:33 PM   #14
Orca Winfrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hill View Post
I went to Mission Point Park first but the parking lot was full, saw a kayaker loading up to leave but we didn't stop to talk to him. Then I headed over to the beach on the island and launched there. I did see a couple of schools of bait fish jumping so there was something chasing them. Saw a couple of fly fisherman over by OEX and picked up some bites by the walking bridge but we didn't get hooked up with anything. There was a man fishing from the beach when we landed to leave, he had a screamer of a hook up while I was loading up but he was too far from his rod and it was over with by the time he grabbed it. It's a pisser to paddle over the whole danged bay and watch some bank fisherman hook up at the launch point.
Lol. If I got discouraged every time a shore pounder or float tuber out-fished me, I'd have sold my yak by now. Just tell yourself that we're having much more fun.
Orca Winfrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 05:46 PM   #15
Harry Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orca Winfrey View Post
Lol. If I got discouraged every time a shore pounder or float tuber out-fished me, I'd have sold my yak by now. Just tell yourself that we're having much more fun.
I love to fish, I don't have to catch fish, I just love being out there. But it's still a pisser to get all the way back to the vehicle to see some shore fisherman get hooked up and then lose it. Must have been a healthy fish the way his reel was screaming.
Old 02-22-2016, 07:47 PM   #16
Amish Ed

Thursday is out. Blew the head gasket in my new to me car i'll let you know when I'm able to get back on the water.
Old 02-22-2016, 08:03 PM   #17
Harry Hill

Quote:
Thursday is out. Blew the head gasket in my new to me car i'll let you know when I'm able to get back on the water.
that head gasket business sucks, don't worry about it though. Get your car fixed and then we'll go fishing.