Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 04-08-2007, 04:50 PM   #1
dgax65
Guerro Grande

I should have gone to the Easter egg hunt instead

I got to La Jolla about 5:45 this morning and found the surf to be much smaller than expected. Launched in the gray and went straight to the kelp for bait. The FF was acting up and the kelp was down, so I had no luck making bait. It looked like there was some pretty good surf out at the point, with a few huge rollers coming through occasionally. I stayed well outside most of the morning. Ugly conditions; stiff wind out of the South, choppy and a steady drizzle to make things really enjoyable. I trolled a Yozuri and a dead squid/hoochie rig for about four hours for nothing. Torn up kelp was everywhere and trolling was just an exercise in frustration. Every time I'd stop to clear a trolling line the wind would push me back a couple hundred yards. I gave up about noon and headed in. A small break in the clouds and a ray of sunshine persuaded my to go toss some plastic in the kelp for a couple of hours more. More wasted time (and rain, wind, cold....). Basically it just sucked. I won't be able to get out next weekend, so I'm sure it will be WFO on WSB.
On the positive side; I got a helluva workout paddling into the wind for 5 hours.
Old 04-08-2007, 06:46 PM   #2
lamb

Sounds like it was pretty miserable out there.

Thanks for taking one for the team Doug.
Old 04-09-2007, 07:47 AM   #3
FISHIONADO

I was out there about the same time, might have seen you on the beach right before I launched, I landed around noon. I metered fish early, good size marks on the north and west sides of the kelp but couldn't get them to bite dead squid or a butterfly looking jig. After 9:00am I didn't see marks anywhere. The wind was brutal, I covered 9 miles according to gps but it felt like 15.

Fish are being caught but not posted. Did I miss the memo? If I ever catch one again can I post it?
FISHIONADO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 10:48 AM   #4
dgax65
Guerro Grande

If I caught something I'd post it. Am I allowed to post that? I don't know if they put some sort of non-disclosure language in the WCW registration
When the weather is like that you aren't going to get a fleet of kayaks a PB's turning out the next day based on one catch report.
Old 04-09-2007, 06:48 PM   #5
Matt
Support your local pangas

Yo Dave,

Good seeing you on the way in!! I am looking forward to the sci trip on the 27th!!

Matt
Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 07:20 PM   #6
kayak jack

Man, just hearing about your day made me tired. Sorry you didn't at lease catch something for you effort.
kayak jack is offline   Reply With Quote