Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 07-24-2016, 12:31 PM   #1
iethinker

Some spots of wind

This is a kayak fishing report from south San Diego Bay on 7/24/2016:

Skipping the exciting combination of kayak camouflaging swells and power boat traffic of the Saturday offshore scene, I elected for some relaxation in the South San Diego Bay. As it happened about mid-morning, a huge windstorm developed making the relaxation part of this unobtainable. At least the early morning was calm and I landed a few spotties before being compelled to leave.

Here is one of the usual suspects. What was unusual is that I caught most fish while trolling my swim-bait in between a few of the known hot-bite spots. The bite at the spots was not as hot.

Here is another spottie and another attempt of an in-the-water (ITW) photo:

Windy conditions from shore after the landing. The wind here was unusual being from mostly the South. While strong West winds are common in the bay, the forecast was low. The clouds in the wall of clouds at the shoreline were moving North at a rapid speed. I wondered if anyone was kayaking and in danger offshore near Imperial Beach?:

Here is a quick video-clip of the conditions soon after the wind started.

I decided to head for shore after the wind-chop prevented me from re-affixing my swim-bait to my hook. My Hobie Outback ran a nice 5 to 6 MPH across the bay back to the Harbor with minimal pedaling. I kept my paddle in hand as there were several almost pearl dive moments.

Matt

Last edited by iethinker; 07-24-2016 at 02:51 PM. Reason: Typos
iethinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 10:04 PM   #2
Amish Ed

Weird wind. At least you found a few before it kicked up.
Old 07-25-2016, 06:40 AM   #3
taggermike

You aren't kidfing. I was at J st Saturday afternoon just chilling and the wind was howling out of the SSE. So Bay has a long fetch n gets bad fast. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 08:37 PM   #4
iethinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amish Ed View Post
Weird wind. At least you found a few before it kicked up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by taggermike View Post
You aren't kidfing. I was at J st Saturday afternoon just chilling and the wind was howling out of the SSE. So Bay has a long fetch n gets bad fast. Mike

Yes Ed and Mike... Funny thing is that I actually loaded the car the night before with equipment for offshore safari in North County. I happened to check the forecast again later and started to question that decision. The thought of the kayak camouflaging swell, weekend power boat traffic and the tuna-so-close fever sent me back to the garage for a couple of light poles before going to bed.

South SD Bay has generally proved to be solitude and can provide occasional favorable surprise catches too. Landing 10+/- spotties on what started out as a decent morning was indeed rewarding enough. Seeing the turbulent clouds racing in the bank to the west (offshore), hearing about some of the other offshore experiences last weekend and experiencing the wind I did me glad I made the change.

Matt
iethinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 07:09 AM   #5
taggermike

If the wind is up you can launch on the west side of the bay; like at the Cays. You'll get some calmer conditions and much less chop. If it's very bad but you still want to fish you can fish the docks at the Cays. Or launch at Glorietta and fish the docks there. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote