Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2008, 12:07 PM   #1
MVC

Fishing at Mammoth

My family and I are heading up to Mammoth next Friday for 5 days of vacation. Without giving away a "secret bite" can anyone give me some info regarding the fishing in the Mammoth Lake/June Lake area?
MVC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 04:47 PM   #2
fishkiller89
Junior

Send a message via AIM to fishkiller89 Send a message via Yahoo to fishkiller89
where are you staying ? boulder lodge is fairly cheep and has a private dock that isn't a bad for trout.
Old 07-18-2008, 07:28 PM   #3
MVC

We are staying at a campground in our RV
Old 07-18-2008, 09:56 PM   #4
fishkiller89
Junior

okay well shore access is pretty limmited from what i remember so you might want to look into renting a boat on june lake. if you have kids there is a whole bunch of chubs in shallow water arround the boat docks that you can feed, i have to admit that its pretty cool even for me.
you might want to try gull lake thats just a little further down the road for more shore access.
Old 07-18-2008, 10:33 PM   #5
PescadorPete

In Mammoth, Lake Mary by the dam is pretty good. Anywhere along June Lake loop is also pretty good. But both places have too much "Power Bait" for my liking.

If you really want to see some cool spots, wander a bit north (Bridgeport area) - less humanity, better scenery and certainly within your day tripping range.

Alpine - Virginia lakes 10,000'+ easy hike from the car
Creek fishing - Green Creek (my favorite secret spot) up around Dynamo pond
Upper and Lower Twin lakes outside Bridgeport - kayak friendly - BMF Alpers and brown trout
East Walker river (start behind the Walker River lodge and work out past the "airport" to the resevoir) in Bridgeport
Bridgeport Reservior.
BTW - a sundowner beer or glass of wine at the Mono Inn overlooking the Mono Lake is pretty special - enjoy the Ansel Adams prints upstairs - his granddaughter owns the place.

I opted for new territory this summer - northeast New Mexico. Jeez - now I think I need a fall trip to Bridgeport. If you get to Bridgeport, Ken's on Main Street will put you on the fish. What a great part of the world.

If you are thinking about fishing or camping the Eastern Sierra & your not up for fighting the traffic & crowds at Mammoth or June Lakes, then try the Bridgeport area, north on Hwy 395.
Green Creek is a signed dirt road just past the Bodie ghost town turn off headed north. The graded wide dirt road is approx. 8 miles long & dead ends at a Toiyabe National Forest campground called Green Creek. The drive up can be washboard bumpy in some parts, but that doesn't stop the thousands of adventurous motorhomes that make this trek annually. This place features some of the best prime Sierra back roads camping options for RVs.

Plain old passenger cars can easily make this route deep into the Eastern Sierra aspen canyon. Backpackers can enjoy easy access to the Hoover Wilderness trailheads. There is plenty semi-primitive camping spots along the way, right on the creek, so no need to sleep in your vehicle upon arrival.
Aspen, fall colors peak in early October.

Attached Images

PescadorPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 08:52 AM   #6
fishkiller89
Junior

hot creek is also a great place to wander around and explore. i do well just fly lining a salmon egg down the creek. ive caught alot of browns in there as well as big rainbows. thomas boyants are also killers at all the lakes and rivers up there.the lower owens river is an awsome fishery and is always a stop while im in mammouth. if the family gets bored of fishing you might wat to visit the natural hot springs (hot creek).
Old 07-19-2008, 06:51 PM   #7
megatrout

June Lake, great destination. Just make sure you take lots of pictures for your next post. I usually rent a boat for the day with my kids. We hit the giant rocks across from the boat launch. Power bait, power bait, power bait. You can't miss there. We plan to take the kayaks there next month. Good luck and Respect the bears.
megatrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 07:22 AM   #8
MVC

Thank you for your responses.