Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-2012, 07:44 PM   #1
DarthFisherman

New guy needs rod suggestions

Hey guys, first post so let me start by saying I have really enjoyed all the great pics and tips shared on this site. I have about two weeks before I splurge on my first kayak- a Hobie Outback, but before then I would like to purchase two new rod and reel set-ups. Currently, all my gear is either for trout, bass, or light tackle surf. Ideally, I would like to buy one rod dedicated to throwing irons at the kelp and another for live bait. From my research I think I will be going with the Avet SX with the mag cast system for both rigs, but I am unsure of the proper rod pairings. Please let me know what your recommendations are.

I appreciate and eagerly await your responses!
DarthFisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 07:50 PM   #2
tasteslikechikn54

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthFisherman View Post
Hey guys, first post so let me start by saying I have really enjoyed all the great pics and tips shared on this site. I have about two weeks before I splurge on my first kayak- a Hobie Outback, but before then I would like to purchase two new rod and reel set-ups. Currently, all my gear is either for trout, bass, or light tackle surf. Ideally, I would like to buy one rod dedicated to throwing irons at the kelp and another for live bait. From my research I think I will be going with the Avet SX with the mag cast system for both rigs, but I am unsure of the proper rod pairings. Please let me know what your recommendations are.

Welcome to the forum.... That, my friend, would depend on how much you wanna spend... I have an avet sx on a custom 8 foot m&m rod, with a fast tapered tip.... It's rated for 12 to 30 lbs. Test, but i have it set up as a kelp cutting rig.... I use 60 lbs. Spectra with approx. 50 yards or so of 30 lbs. Mono topshot... It does the trick, but kayak surf launches are tough on the reels and they require constant maintenance. Especially, if you're flipping in the surf on the way in or out.... Could be tough on an avet sx MC as they are a bit pricey... I've flipped a few times at la jolla and just taken them to squidco for teardown and a good cleaning. Sand can be pretty tough on any reel....

Hope this helps a bit.... Tight lines.
tasteslikechikn54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 08:02 PM   #3
DarthFisherman

Quote:
Originally Posted by tasteslikechikn54 View Post
Welcome to the forum.... That, my friend, would depend on how much you wanna spend... I have an avet sx on a custom 8 foot m&m rod, with a fast tapered tip.... It's rated for 12 to 30 lbs. Test, but i have it set up as a kelp cutting rig.... I use 60 lbs. Spectra with approx. 50 yards or so of 30 lbs. Mono topshot... It does the trick, but kayak surf launches are tough on the reels and they require constant maintenance. Especially, if you're flipping in the surf on the way in or out.... Did plenty of that my first couple times at la jolla...

Hope this helps a bit.... Tight lines.
Thanks!

Regarding the rod I never want to spend more than I have to, but at the same time I like the assurance that comes with spending a little more for quality goods.

Excuse the ignorance, but as a kelp cutter setup do you fish that exclusive with irons or live bait? Perhaps both? Your line mix is what I was wanting to do for both, not sure if it applies more to irons or live bait.
Old 05-17-2012, 08:03 PM   #4
HatterasCast

Got some reels for sale in the classifieds right now...

Daiwa Grandwave 20 (Fill this with 30lb spectra and short Floro Leader and you got a sweet iron reel) Pair it up to any jigstick (The pacifica sabres with the cork at Big-5 are cheap and they have good action and get the job done - they pair nice with this reel too).

I also got a Daiwa saltist 30 which has 50lb spectra and a topshot of 25lb mono which you could change to heavier if you desire. This would be a great live bait fishing reel. Its got the 4.9 to 1 ratio for cranking power on that big WSB and YT. You can pair it up with any 7' boat rod 20-40 lb with a little bit of a soft tip so you can see what your bait is doing.

Just my 2 cents. The avet sx is a nice reel too, I have a couple.
HatterasCast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 09:20 PM   #5
tasteslikechikn54

Quote:
Thanks!

Regarding the rod I never want to spend more than I have to, but at the same time I like the assurance that comes with spending a little more for quality goods.

Excuse the ignorance, but as a kelp cutter setup do you fish that exclusive with irons or live bait? Perhaps both? Your line mix is what I was wanting to do for both, not sure if it applies more to irons or live bait.
It really won't affect the casting capability of the reel, as long as you got mono topshot.... I don't like using flouro on a casting setup because flouro doesn't have any stretch when casting... I have a seeker black 6'6 with an avet JX that I use for live bait. That setup i have 65 lbs. Spectra and I use about a 5 ft leader of 25 lbs. Flouro.... That works for me.

I hope that helps...
tasteslikechikn54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 09:45 PM   #6
oneyedeer

Got a brand new calstar grafighter 700l 20-30lb would make a great live bait rod....200 even still got tags on it
oneyedeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 08:27 AM   #7
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

diawa sealines are affordable, tough and come in all gear ratios and sizes. Okuma biadarka rods are affordable and made specifically for kayak fishing. They float and come standard with a leash ring to secure them to your yak. I've gone way past there line rating and landed big fish with them. Good luck and welcome aboard.

http://www.badinfluencetattoo.com/gallery.php?artist=21
William Novotny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 09:27 AM   #8
taggermike

There a many choices out there that will fill the needs you mentioned. There are also plenty of use gear available as well. I like graphite bait sticks but about any rod 6-7 feet long rated 20-40lb will work well. You can't beat the SoCal standards of Seeker and CalStar but other brands work well too. As for a jig stick, I like an all glass or composit rod 8-9 feet rate for 40 lb line. I don't think surface iron fishing is a "finesse" technique and use at least 40lb all the time. Again CalStar and seeker have many great rods but Saber and Shimano offer some nice options. ave not fish the PinHead series from Seeker but I have pulled on them and am impresses. They have 3 jig sticks in that series, I think, with the Ulua and the D-8 looking the best. Yak fishing is pretty tough on reels. I have no experience with Avets but If I was going to get some new set ups I might go with the Daiwa Seagates or Saltists. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 10:35 AM   #9
DarthFisherman

Thanks for all the input so far, guys.

I have my eye on two Calstar West Coast series rods.

For live:
WC-270-7C
7'
8 S.S. CONV
FUJI
12-30
Fast

For irons:
WC-670-C
7'
8 S.S. CONV
20-50
Fast

Wondering if the Deckhand special would be more appropriate for the iron based off of your guys' suggestion. One in the 8' range.
Old 05-18-2012, 08:40 PM   #10
taggermike

The deck hand style is better for surface irons generally. You can place the reel at the proper location for your arm legnth and casting style. With the reel seat rods you're locked in to one place. 7 foot will work ok on a kayak although you might have better range and control with a 8 footer. I started jig fishing from party boats where longer rods really help, and of course your actually standing up. When I started yak fishing I kept the same jig rods, CalStar 690J and Seeker Ulua 93H. Added an 8 foot sabre to the line up and cast just fine too. If you have access to a buddy's jig sticks you might want to give them a few cast to see what you like. In So Cal fishing, surface iron rods, reels, and jigs are the perinial hot topic. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 08:57 PM   #11
slobslayer

The best reels and rods for the price are daiwa sealines or saltists paired up on a sabre rod from big five. Sealines and saltists are 120.00 plus 10%off coupons and those rods are always going on sale. These are the workhorses I use very dependable and can take the beating from kayak fishing.
slobslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 10:56 PM   #12
andrewtp
Awesome Possum

Quote:
Originally Posted by slobslayer View Post
The best reels and rods for the price are daiwa sealines or saltists paired up on a sabre rod from big five. Sealines and saltists are 120.00 plus 10%off coupons and those rods are always going on sale. These are the workhorses I use very dependable and can take the beating from kayak fishing.
Where can you find a saltist for $120?
andrewtp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 04:35 AM   #13
tacmik

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewtp View Post
Where can you find a saltist for $120?
At Slobslayers. They go on sale Sunday at 10. Cash only, as is, all sales final.
Old 05-19-2012, 06:19 AM   #14
slobslayer

El cajon big 5. They have smaller grandwaves for sale too this Is where I buy most of my reels too they have an awesome return policy too
Old 05-19-2012, 06:54 AM   #15
slobslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacmik View Post
At Slobslayers. They go on sale Sunday at 10. Cash only, as is, all sales final.
Sure ill sell you mine and ill go pick up new one ha. By the way these are the silver ones not the black and blue but they do also have those. The reels for 120 are just like the one in classifieds for sale by hatterascast.
Old 05-19-2012, 08:38 AM   #16
JNAST13ST
Living Da Dream!

Talking

Quote:

It really depends on how much your willing to spend, I went to west marine in point loma and talked with Rolly(a fellow BWE member) and he suggested to me a 8' seeker inshore blue II, I love it so far however, I havnt caught anything over 20LBs on it yet but this rod has great sensitivity and real good strength come on its a seeker can't go wrong.
Old 05-19-2012, 10:09 AM   #17
andrewtp
Awesome Possum

Good read on choosing a surface iron rod a few paragraphs in.

http://www.bdoutdoors.com/article/so...-surface-iron/
andrewtp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 07:31 PM   #18
HatterasCast

Quote:
Couldnt agree with you more.
Old 05-19-2012, 07:31 PM   #19
HatterasCast

Quote:
Sure ill sell you mine and ill go pick up new one ha. By the way these are the silver ones not the black and blue but they do also have those. The reels for 120 are just like the one in classifieds for sale by hatterascast.
Thanks for the heads up - I adjusted my price accordingly: http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...ad.php?t=13632
Old 05-19-2012, 09:58 PM   #20
yaky yak

I have several Shakespeare Ugly Stick Rods I got at big 5 for less then 50.00 on sale. I have caught a lot of yellowtail (My PB of 35lbs)and a few Tsharks , and they preform excellent.
I saved up and bought a used but like new seeker 9ft jig rod for 150.00. I lost it in the surf the second time I used it. Might not be a bad idea if your new to yak fishing not to invest in top of the line rods and reels just yet.
I think I will replace my jig rod with an 8ft Sabre jig rod for 50.00 bucks and a diawa sealine reel.
Sabre and Shakespeare Ugly Stick rods though cheap in price(when on sale,and there on sale once a month I think)work really well. I still feel like I lost a loved one with that seeker rod.
yaky yak is offline   Reply With Quote