Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 07-06-2011, 03:57 PM   #1
jaycee386

A day on the water with Jim Salazar (aka sabaslayer)

Just wanted to post about my trip with Jim Salazar. I am new to kayak fishing and recently purchased a Hobie Outback which I love. I posted a request If anyone in my area would be willing to let me tag along to learn some basics on kayak fishing. It wasn't long until I got a response which was from Jim Day and he directed to Jim Salazar since he's from the southbay where I live. I called up Jim and explained my situation and he was more then happy to help me out. So we set a date for Sunday 7:00am at Redondo launch. I have to say that redondo launch is very kayak friendly it's only $4 for parking all day and you pull ur car right up to the launch to unload ur gear. So we meet at 7am and Jim fills me in on how to rig for fishing and all the safety precautions to be aware of. We launch our boats and of we go hunting for whatever is willing to bite our hook. We shoot out the breakwall and paddle/peddle out about 2 miles and drift on a canyon right outside redondo. Jim fills me in on the topography and tackle rigging. We fish for an hour andthen we work our way into the harbor. We get in the breakwall and begin to drift for some butts. I got skunked but Jim got a couple short butts and a legal Bonita. Way to go Jim on the Bonita. We end up pulling the plug around 1pm. Just want to thank Jim Salazar for taking the time to teach me the basics on kayak fishing and I also want to thank Jim day for hooking me up with Jim. I hope to see you guys on the water soon to share and make new memories and friends.
jaycee386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 04:27 PM   #2
pchen911

Thanks for sharing.

Just FYI, there is no size limit on Bonito for the first 5. They can be any size and still be legal.
pchen911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 05:23 PM   #3
driftwood

Jim can teach you how to hoop for lobster as well. That guy knows his stuff.

Hey Jim, when is the next lobster session?
driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote