Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 07-06-2011, 02:21 AM   #1
jorluivil

WSB Heads

So rather than sit around and attempt to bust open the skull of this beatiful beast and pull out the stones I decided to take the head to the United Anglers of California office in Signal Hill. I would have loved to have those stones but I figured that the research that is done on these heads will be a bigger asset to all of us than two stones hanging on a necklace.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 04:54 AM   #2
roadx

when i turned mine in at hubs they asked if i wanted the stones mailed to me. i haven't received them yet but i did leave my address and other info they were asking for on the head. worth a try if you want the stones
Old 07-06-2011, 08:12 AM   #3
sasha

Ok guys what do you talk about when you say stones from the head???
sasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 08:35 AM   #4
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasha View Post
Ok guys what do you talk about when you say stones from the head???
DSC01852.jpg

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 09:49 AM   #5
addicted2sp33d
Here fishy fishy fishy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
I would have loved to have those stones but I figured that the research that is done on these heads will be a bigger asset to all of us than two stones hanging on a necklace.
You can still get the stones in the mail if you leave your name and a phone number with the head, but even if you've removed the stones, Hubbs will still take the head.

They're really more interested in length, girth, weight, where you caught it (Lat/Long), and maybe stomach contents. They're really just scanning for a wire-tag that they embed in the cheeks of their fish.
addicted2sp33d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 11:14 AM   #6
sasha

From the pic it looks like some part of a bone??? What part of the head are they from??? What are they for and why are they called stones???

If my dad saw me giving away a fish head he would beat me up.. Thats his favroit part of the fish to eat. Actualy it has more flavor then the rest fo the fish..

Sasha
Old 07-06-2011, 11:29 AM   #7
Aaron&Julie

The stones are not bone, but rather a calcium growth located about 2 inches behind the eye-sockets in a liquid filled chamber. They make nice jewlery. I had earrings done for Julie and she loves them.
You can still eat the head after removing the stones. I cut the cheek meat off of Julie's fish she caught on July 2, before retrieving the stones. It was delicious, easily the best eating part of the fish, IMO.
Old 07-06-2011, 01:48 PM   #8
GregAndrew

I believe the Stones are part of the inner ear of the fish. Located where the spinal collumn meets the skull.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 09:19 PM   #9
sasha

Thanks guys for the explantion..
Old 07-07-2011, 04:02 AM   #10
T Bone

where they be...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg stones 002_(1024_x_768).jpg (73.0 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg stones 001_(1024_x_768).jpg (70.9 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg stones 004_(1024_x_768).jpg (32.6 KB, 83 views)

"Who among you,if your son asked for a fish would give them a serpent " Jesus Matt. 7:10
T Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 08:27 AM   #11
PapaDave

When I turned mine in at Hogan's in Dana Point, I was asked if I wanted the stones mailed to me, so I said sure and they took my info down. Said it would take about 30 days to get them.
PapaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 10:35 AM   #12
chris138
donkey roper

Looks like there's a lot of variability in how people extract the stones at home. I use a much different method than what is pictured in the thread...

I'll split the top of the head directly down the middle between the eyes then open it up from the top like a hotdog bun. With a sharp heavy knife, you can cleanily split the skull lengthwise. Then you just stick your fat little fingers in the cavities behind the eyes and the otoliths will just fall out. But be carefull to cut right down the center though, or you might damage the stones. Some guys will use a hacksaw for this cut.

The chumash indians who hunted the waters of southern california considered the otoliths to linked to the spirit of the animal, and that they bring good luck. They were also used by the chumash as a form of currency. I know once I got my first pair, many more followed in short order!
chris138 is offline   Reply With Quote