Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-2011, 03:47 PM   #1
YakDout
Brandon

My first post

So, i'll start with a little into here. My name is Brandon, turned 22 this year, and i was born in raised right here in San Diego (north county specifically). I have been an outdoor kid my whole life. Whether it be playing, working, I just love being outside. I get claustrophobic (exaggeration) if I am cooped up inside for too long. The thing that I have always loved about fishing is you never know what is on the other side of the line. Of course it has other perks too such as exercise, a good healthy meal, etc....My dad and I have always bonded on those 3 day deep sea trips out of San Diego, and I hope to someday take my kids fishing as much as he took me. In the trip we took 2 years ago I remember leaving about noon on a friday and the whole boat having their 3 day limit of yellowfin tuna by sundown. If I had to estimate, I would say that I've been on about 8 or 9 deep sea trips, and had fun on every one of them (even the ones when i got skunked). My first kayak I want to say was a Malibu that we only used a couple times before my dad sold it. I was just a little kid and didn't realize how much fun you can have fishing from a kayak. About two years ago, I was ready to get back into it, went down to my local dealer and picked up a wilderness systems tarpon 140, and simply fell in love with the sport. I took it out of Oceanside harbor for the inaugural run. Only catching a couple bass, I still had a great time. I did my research and ended up launching down at la jolla about a year ago. Didn't carry too much gear with me. 2 rods and reels, small tackle box, and a gaff was pretty much all I had. Fished ALL day caught a really nice size sand bass, and got spooled by who knows what. I was in a little financial trouble and parted with the tarpon 140 for dirt cheap. But I have a decent job now and after talking with the guy down at OEX in Oceanside, who was extremely helpful, I've decided to pick up a Hobie Revo this month. He recommend I stick with just the necessities for now so I'm not going all out (yet).. I plan on launching from Oside harbor at least once before trying to take off through the surf. Any little pointers for my new boat or in just in general would be awesome, and hope to see you guys out there sometime. Seems like there are some really knowledgable people on this site and I hope to add what I can. Thanks
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 04:27 PM   #2
mtnbykr2

welcome to the addiction, nice choice on the yak, it will not disappoint you,
Tip #1 take a surf lesson with Jim Sammons or Darkhorse, it will be totally worth the time, the learning curve on launching and landing is long, and it will make for less expensive trips as well as make it easier to do once properly trained, good luck out there and be safe
mtnbykr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 06:31 PM   #3
YakDout
Brandon

ok thanks. they are local here in san diego I'm assuming?
Old 07-05-2011, 06:41 PM   #4
YakDout
Brandon

And I am a little bit discouraged after just reading that they might be extending the preserve alone San Diego's coastline. That sucks because la jolla was where I was planning to do most of my fishing.
Old 07-05-2011, 09:10 PM   #5
Whizz Bang

Awesome choice with the revo, get the bait tank, it is summer you do not need the finder right now. Make bait by seeing it on the surface or watching birds, or other yakkers. When in doubt, head to the pier. Watch the surf report, time your sets, tie down. You dont need a surf lesson. Launch early, fish ALL day. If you find yourself struggling to keep your batteries charged and wondering how long you can go without fresh water rinsing your gear....you are on the right track. Do not think that you need to be on or in kelp to catch fish. They are everywhere and in all depths. If you get a finder, get one with a gps....or, buy a gps. Pm me if you need one cheap. Research LJ artificial reefs. Mark them as waypoints. This will give you the ability to bottom fish without the finder if you go that route. Go buy one of those plastic LJ to point loma plastic fishing maps. It will give you additional gps spots to focus on, like the corner. Fish as much as possible, pay attention to the guys you keep seeing at the launch. Make friends with them. If you see a thread that may indicate a hot bite, do not assume that the bite is still on, assume that you missed it by a week to two weeks. Many choose to wait to post, if at all, no one likes a parking lot. Your best source of intel is your own time on the water and the friends you will make. There are some on this site that hate that so many of us do that. Tough. We do it for a reason, kayakers alone do not monitor this site, so do power boaters. Learn the value of the pm. I have more to say, however, my wife gets angry if I am on this site when I am fishing the very next day. See you out there.
Whizz Bang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 03:22 PM   #6
YakDout
Brandon

All very good info man thanks. Is there a specific make/model of fishfinder that you prefer.
Old 07-06-2011, 03:35 PM   #7
Whizz Bang

Lowrance HDS 5
Whizz Bang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 03:37 PM   #8
RedSledTeam
Daddeo

Hey, go easy on the newbie! The CUDA 350 should do just fine.
RedSledTeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 09:11 PM   #9
YakDout
Brandon

The guy at OEX said that they discontinued
the cuda. But that was the one I was looking at. Definitely want to get a model with GPS.