Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2015, 05:57 AM   #21
StinkyMatt

Someone please vide this guy getting his ass handed to him at County.

Please.
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 07:57 AM   #22
momo fish

Oh to be young and cocky... I'll let you use a wider kayak that's harder to launch and see how well you do... As for fishing .. Whatever!! Haha

Are we forgetting this ?

https://www.facebook.com/george.clou...4855863689444/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unofishgood View Post
hey Mo, it's all timing. I've been launching my revolution lately looking for big fish. So far on my revolution I've done well. My yt count on my hobie isn't zero 😜 lol!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

momo fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 08:07 AM   #23
TJones

This does not look good !!!

"Ohhh Shittttt" were the words coming out of my mouth . That was on a "flat day" . I did not realize it was Ceaser posting this . Lol. Are you crazy Ceaser ? Like Mo said . It's good to be young . . You must have gotten extremely lucky launching the other day . How did you do coming in? Obviously good , or you would not be bragging . . See you on water soon you Young Buck . .
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 08:16 AM   #24
TJones

Well Mo ?

Quote:
hey Mo, it's all timing. I've been launching my revolution lately looking for big fish. So far on my revolution I've done well. My yt count on my hobie isn't zero 😜 lol!

Let me know when you are gonna get the sitter. So we can get out and Fish ..
Old 09-07-2015, 10:09 AM   #25
Unofishgood

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJones View Post
"Ohhh Shittttt" were the words coming out of my mouth . That was on a "flat day" . I did not realize it was Ceaser posting this . Lol. Are you crazy Ceaser ? Like Mo said . It's good to be young . . You must have gotten extremely lucky launching the other day . How did you do coming in? Obviously good , or you would not be bragging . . See you on water soon you Young Buck . .

Haha it's not that I'm cocky I'm just not worried about flipping when it's big because it's not that strong of a wave and I won't get hurt so that's one of the reasons I get out is because I don't trip out about thinking Ima flip

Unofishgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 10:10 AM   #26
Unofishgood

Quote:
Originally Posted by momo fish View Post
Oh to be young and cocky... I'll let you use a wider kayak that's harder to launch and see how well you do... As for fishing .. Whatever!! Haha

Are we forgetting this ?

https://www.facebook.com/george.clou...4855863689444/

The main reason that wave hit me was because the other guy cut me off and then I reached for my hat and fell of my kayak I didn't flip or lose anything. Dont worry Mo, we can go out fishing together and I'll show what what's it's like to have fish on your yak

Old 09-07-2015, 11:33 AM   #27
TJones

That was pretty messed up

Quote:
The main reason that wave hit me was because the other guy cut me off and then I reached for my hat and fell of my kayak I didn't flip or lose anything. Dont worry Mo, we can go out fishing together and I'll show what what's it's like to have fish on your yak

I'm not sure why that guy cut you off that day . . Congrats on your new ride . Remember when I got caught coming in by a set of 3 footers and survived ? For that reason ,I still think the outback is a more stable ride and all around a better choice .
Old 09-07-2015, 01:22 PM   #28
Unofishgood

Quote:
I'm not sure why that guy cut you off that day . . Congrats on your new ride . Remember when I got caught coming in by a set of 3 footers and survived ? For that reason ,I still think the outback is a more stable ride and all around a better choice .

I've launched and landed at county when it was 3-6 feet these passed few days and had no problem coming in but I didn't get hit by any waves I only caught some in but smaller ones

Old 09-07-2015, 01:22 PM   #29
Unofishgood

Quote:

Thanks I love the revolution it's so much easier to go farther with it

Old 09-07-2015, 03:02 PM   #30
TJones

Copy that

See you next week with that guy who cut you off . . Granted the surf comes down . I burned a couple of wishes surviving a few nasty waves the last time there. Don't want to push my luck . My body might be a little more brittle than yours . Who knows? Maybe we can drag Mo out , and get the flood gates to open for him ? Until then , maybe some stretching to loosen me up .
Old 09-07-2015, 03:23 PM   #31
Unofishgood

Quote:
See you next week with that guy who cut you off . . Granted the surf comes down . I burned a couple of wishes surviving a few nasty waves the last time there. Don't want to push my luck . My body might be a little more brittle than yours . Who knows? Maybe we can drag Mo out , and get the flood gates to open for him ? Until then , maybe some stretching to loosen me up .

I hope it's smaller I need to get out and get some rockfish

Old 09-07-2015, 04:08 PM   #32
JeffB

Count me IN!

If county line is easier than this, then count me in! Don't be fooled by the launch, we all got hammered by the sets this day!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (39.2 KB, 187 views)
Old 09-07-2015, 06:15 PM   #33
Unofishgood

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffB View Post
If county line is easier than this, then count me in! Don't be fooled by the launch, we all got hammered by the sets this day!

Lol so true one of my friends the only place I ever saw him flip/fall off his kayak was in like 1 foot surf.

Old 09-11-2015, 03:44 PM   #34
2-Stix

Quote:
Originally Posted by StinkyMatt View Post

Please.
x2
2-Stix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 05:40 PM   #35
TJones

Ceaser

Quote:
I hope it's smaller I need to get out and get some rockfish

Did you get a text from me ? I'm trying to make contact with Kevin . Rain , surf , or wind will not stop us from fishing next week . Don't worry Matt , I will make sure I bring the go pro just in case the kid slips up .
Old 09-13-2015, 05:59 PM   #36
TJones

Well Ceaser ?

Quote:

Please.

How did the revo hold up today ?
Old 09-13-2015, 08:07 PM   #37
Cesar teran
Junior

Quote:

How did the revo hold up today ?
It was super small like 1-2 feet launching. On my way in which I didn't say I don't flip doing haha I flip coming in like every single time I can't get off my revo without flipping. I was going in and I decided to try and back paddle a wave and it went under me then I flipped haha but coming in I don't care if I flip when it's 1-2 feet it's only when I launch that I usually don't flip lol but I have had some close calls lately lol!

Last edited by Cesar teran; 09-13-2015 at 08:12 PM. Reason: I like flipping
Cesar teran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 08:09 PM   #38
Unofishgood

Quote:

Please.
X3 especially when it's big! I would love to get a video of me flipping while launching at big county that would be funny. You can see me flip and fall off my kayak when I land but I'm out of energy and I don't care at that point haha!
Old 09-13-2015, 08:18 PM   #39
Unofishgood

Quote:
Did you get a text from me ? I'm trying to make contact with Kevin . Rain , surf , or wind will not stop us from fishing next week . Don't worry Matt , I will make sure I bring the go pro just in case the kid slips up .
No I didn't get it just pm me. We will go out.
Old 09-13-2015, 11:24 PM   #40
Mr. NiceGuy
Manic for Life

If we are not used to it, it takes surprisingly little to roll a fishing kayak full of gear.

I think the most valuable practice I've had is going out to knock around in bigger surf in an empty kayak and forcing myself into waves that will roll me.

A good place to practice is at the mouth of San Diego River by Dog Beach. The waves are generally bigger than La Jolla and there is more variety of shape and direction as the tide changes. The wave size is still reasonable for newbie practice.

Paddle out to the middle of the breakers and practice holding a position there in both directions through several sets --- facing the ocean and facing the shore. Then practice waiting parallel and leaning into the waves as they smash into you. Leaning into the wave when you are parallel will release a lot of pressure from water mass that could otherwise roll you.

Letting my kayak catch a wave is fun, but the speed picks up and the chance of losing control increases. At the end of the run when the water starts to dissipate, my kayak seems to automatically rotate sideways into a more vulnerable position. It's better to dig in a paddle and try to break the wave-riding before it develops.

After I started to get a feel for the physics of what's happening, it became a more manageable situation.

I should be doing this with an empty kayak more often, and pushing myself through progressively larger wave sets in different conditions throughout the year.

If I have to jump or fall out, I try to avoid getting between my kayak and shore so my kayak doesn't smash into me with the next wave. If I'm trying to hang onto my kayak from the water I reach for the rope in the stern, not the bow.

I bundle all my rods, gaff and other loose things into one horizontal package on one side so it's easier to jump out the opposite side if necessary. Any fish or other loose supplies are stowed in a closed hatch for the landing.

Noob Kayaking 101

Last edited by Mr. NiceGuy; 09-13-2015 at 11:55 PM.
Mr. NiceGuy is offline   Reply With Quote