Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 05-22-2016, 01:33 PM   #1
FishFighterSD
Junior

Big THANKS to the member who helped me launch Friday & the BWE Community in general.

Drove down to LJ Shores last Friday afternoon. En route to the beach, I crossed paths with a fellow BWE member on his way to launch his Hobie, heading out for WSB. I couldn't have crossed paths with a cooler guy & greater ambassador of the group. Unfortunately I forgot his name. Perhaps Jim? He noted I was as green as a gourd, attempting to take on "what I hope was a rougher than normal surf, and took me under his wing for the launch. Yeah I got rolled, but it would have been far worse had he not donated his time & tutelage. So thank you again. It reflects greatly, the comradely that exist, or appears to exist within the BWE community. Proud to be a part of it. If anyone has any info, in regards to best surf height & intervals for a safer easy launch, Id be thankful, along with a good resource for surf info there. Thanks again for the help, and for allowing me to be a part of the BWE community. Signed the Bald Jarhead rolling in the surf with the green Malibu, like a piece of kelp.

Last edited by FishFighterSD; 05-22-2016 at 04:00 PM.
FishFighterSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 02:23 PM   #2
svendawg

Good hands

Sounds like you ran into Jim Kelly (Deamon) You couldn't have been in better hands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishFighterSD View Post
Drove down to LJ Shores last Friday afternoon. En route to the beach, I crossed paths with a fellow BWE member on his way to launch his Hobie, heading out for WSB. I couldn't have cost paths with a cooler guy & greater ambassador of the group. Unfortunately I forgot his name. Perhaps Jim? He noted I was as green as a gourd, attempting to take on "what I hope was a rougher than normal surf, and took me under his wing for the launch. Yeah I got rolled, but it would have been far worse had he not donated his time & tutelage. So thank you again. It reflects greatly, the comradely that exist, or appears to exist within the BWE community. Proud to be a part of it. If anyone has any info, in regards to best surf height & intervals for a safer easy launch, Id be thankful, along with a good resource for surf info there. Thanks again for the help, and for allowing me to be a part of the BWE community. Signed the Bald Jarhead rolling in the surf with the green Malibu, like a piece of kelp.
svendawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 02:24 PM   #3
DanaPT

lol. love your story. you have to know your limits right?

as for intervals and swell direction... it all means something. You have to time it. The more you do it, the better you will be at it. You will get dumped. You will probably lose stuff.

Thanks for sharing... but you didn't finish your story....

catch anything?
DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 03:41 PM   #4
FishFighterSD
Junior

Yes SvenDawg after looking up the handle you provided, it was indeed Jim aka Deamon. "Class act Guy" no doubt. Thank you. Yes DanaPt, I did catch a lot of spotties & a short halibut, later that day. Marines joke that we never retreat, but we do make "strategic withdrawals" so I made one and returned to the familiar grounds of the Aqua Hedionda Lagoon. I will try again with the kayak alone and do drills until i can nail it. As you said "know my limits"
FishFighterSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 03:53 PM   #5
momo fish

Yup .. Jim is the man.. You got lucky to run into him as he is usually on the water before most can unload their kayaks..
momo fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 05:09 PM   #6
2-Stix

swells 1-3', winds up to 10mph, swell periods of 14 or greater, and have everything you own strapped to your yak...after that its trial by fire in and out.

fish with a partner, radio, cell phone, beacon and bilge pump.
2-Stix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 05:50 PM   #7
DanaPT

Quote:
Originally Posted by momo fish View Post
Yup .. Jim is the man.. You got lucky to run into him as he is usually on the water before most can unload their kayaks..

I'm confused. I thought demons only fished at night.
Old 05-22-2016, 05:51 PM   #8
DanaPT

Quote:
Originally Posted by momo fish View Post

There you are... should of shadowed him
Old 05-22-2016, 06:05 PM   #9
Deamon

Antwon(sp?)! That was me brotha. I was like...damn, these waves are BIG! We both picked a shit time to launch as we hit like ten waves right in a row. Private message me and we'll do it again but under better conditions. Jim
"The reality is that the wall was built to keep all Asians ~specifically Japanese and those that think they're japanese~ out of the U.S"

Last edited by Deamon; 05-22-2016 at 06:11 PM.
Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 06:45 PM   #10
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
Another CLASS ACT from Jim! Doing BWE PROUD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deamon View Post
Antwon(sp?)! That was me brotha. I was like...damn, these waves are BIG! We both picked a shit time to launch as we hit like ten waves right in a row. Private message me and we'll do it again but under better conditions. Jim

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 08:35 AM   #11
Scoot
Scoot

F- the launch if l pm you will you take me seabass
Fishin?? Back in the day everyone would
hang on the beach bsin' telling lies it's changed
a lot since then! You definitely ran into the right
guy!
Scoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 10:02 AM   #12
octico

Jim being a nice guy? Next thing you know we are going to be spotting unicorns out on the water.
octico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 10:53 AM   #13
bwana

Jim I wish you would have been my "first" too
bwana is offline   Reply With Quote