Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2015, 09:01 PM   #1
GoGoGoJack

Dogged by those Rascally SeaDogs!!!!

Oct. 3rd, 2nd try at La Jolla ---

5:30am launch with buddy in the dark -- BOTH OF US GOT NEWBIE SOAKED FROM HEAD TO TOE... no doubt we entertained some of the local LJ beach-launch veterans!

6:30am over by the kelp, we made bait --- about 10 greenback each (maybe with the help of some cat food... or maybe just found hungry greenies), and we started to fish.

Just like the week before, those pesky SeaDogs started sneaking up on us and freelunching our flylined greenies, but this turned out to be good thing, as I paddled further out to escape the dogs and got lucky hooking up with two YT's and a large Bonita.

Started to try some luck with a crocodile when suddenly, I turn to look and there's a dog AGAIN, with his chest on the back of my yak greedily trying to get at the yt's and bonita I had there... Luckily they were well fastened to a stringer and covered with a wet burlap gunny sack! Ha!!!! Jack 1, Seal Zero!

Later in afternoon, buddy Kevin hooks up with something YT-ish... but ping! lost it!

Soon after, I also hook up with something YT-ish with the croc lure... after 30+ plus minutes of fighting, finally starting to get the fish up close to seeing color... when in comes yet another DOG (or for all I know, the same dog as before) and robs me! Grrrr! Jack 1, Seal 1. Tie Score! At least he was kind enough to let me have my croc lure back!

Hmm.... is 20# test too light? If we go heavier will YT's be line shy? Gotta try and see! Can't help wondering about the size of the two YT's that got away from us!

All in all, our very first two tries at LJ made for some good adventure and crazy fun! LJ was everything we heard it was... and much more!!!!
Attached Images

Last edited by GoGoGoJack; 10-05-2015 at 09:11 PM. Reason: adding pic's
GoGoGoJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 09:30 PM   #2
Ro12

Nice
Good job out there
I've only done Dana point
Really wanna try la jolly one day
Not confident about launching through waves though
Is surf launching the only way to get out out there
Ro12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 09:45 PM   #3
Murray

Pick a good day and practice. Purposely fall off and make sure you can get back on. Keeping the bow into the swell is the key on launch. If the surf is up, you will get wet but will not flip as long as you keep the bow pointed into the wave or white water. Once you get past the surf zone you can change into something dry. Landing is the most difficult. I have been backing in lately with no problems. Same concept applies..........keep the bow into the wave or white water. Before landing, wait on the outside and see where the waves are breaking. That is where you do not want to be. Either side is ok. Practice with no gear first and build your confidence. No reason not to launch thru the surf unless it is bigger than you feel comfortable with. Good luck and good hunting.
Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 10:31 PM   #4
2-Stix

Way to go and get sum on an early trip!
How were you fishing the crocks there?
2-Stix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 04:33 AM   #5
YakDout
Brandon

My report for the same saturday was very similar to yours. Landed two yellowtail, friend got one. FYI, I was fishing 35lb blackwater and he was fishing 40lb.
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 05:24 AM   #6
Deamon

Nice report GGGJ!

I freaking hate it when guys just post pics without much details! BASTARDS!

When the dog is zeroing in on your fish and your tail is not ready to get short stroked...or you're using a shiny girlie spinning reel , line strength may not matter...it becomes a tug of war with you vs. Mr. Dog. Not very good odds right there.

If you have the balls...and you're away from the kelp...keeping tension on your spool with your thumb, put your reel in free spool and let the fish move away from that immediate area. Mr. Dog cannot usually catch a near free swimming yellow unless us fisherpeople lay them out on a silver platter...wait until the bitch dog leaves (it will move on...err usually) and reel your fish in...def works. If this maneuver doesn't work out, retrace your steps...you did something wrong, lol.

Jim

Last edited by Deamon; 10-06-2015 at 05:44 AM.
Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 05:41 AM   #7
GoGoGoJack

with this warm water, getting out isn't the main challenge.... We got soaked but we were fine... The more challenging thing is getting back in if there are some breakers can get pushed sideways if not careful... We played it ultra conservatively .... Stowed all rods... And stowed all reels that were not bolted to rods... Then jumped out ar chest high and walked the PA in backwards (buddy's suggestion) cuz the bow of the yak cuts the surf better. Buddy had smaller yak... So he went in first and waded out to give me a hand. Another key is to wait until just after a larger set of waves before making your dash in... And EVERYTHING's GOTTA BE LEASHED JUST IN CASE....😜😜😜
Old 10-06-2015, 05:47 AM   #8
GoGoGoJack

Yes... Next time I will be launching in shorts only (at least with this warm water) and will keep my cloths dry in ziplock bag safely in hatch.... As we did a 5:30 launch... It was a bit difficult to get warm again.... As we had no other clothing... If it had been colder weather, I would have had to call it quits😱😱😱
Old 10-06-2015, 05:50 AM   #9
Deamon

GGGJ...there are some YAHOOs on BWE who will tell you they haven't rolled coming in...in like YEARS...B.S. on that B.S.

I'm calling them out today:

Dannowar...LIAR!!! ChuckieD... Roby...Cadilyak...No, wait a minute, I saw you fly through the air like a rag doll...

Jim
Old 10-06-2015, 05:58 AM   #10
GoGoGoJack

I was croc'n two ways... 1st: Cast as far as possible and letting fall to bottom... Then reeling and slant jigging a bit on retrieve. 2nd: cast as far as I could and medium peddle constantly letting the croc out and then sweep pulling it back toward yak... Sometimes with a small flick or jig in the motion (This fished the top more). I think my 20# leader wasn't enough though... Will tie on 30# leader next time... I read that some guys use iron with 40#... But I think I will test up gradually...
Old 10-06-2015, 06:06 AM   #11
GoGoGoJack

Helpful to know Yakdout!!!! Very good to know re heavier line.... Are you 1) braid to leader, 2) braid to mono to leader, or 3) braid to mono to hook, 4) all mono, 5) other??? Very interested....

Last edited by GoGoGoJack; 10-07-2015 at 04:02 AM. Reason: Typo fix
Old 10-06-2015, 06:47 AM   #12
blitzburgh

Nice work!
Old 10-06-2015, 08:43 AM   #13
pierreyaldo

lol ive had yellowtail bite black 100lb spectra when my mono got chewed off... dumb as rocks!
pierreyaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 08:47 AM   #14
mrJB

Way to go Jack! With your persistence you'll be at the front of the leader pack in no time!

Always harder re-entry into the surf zone, especially with a PA. Just wait until we get you down to San O
Old 10-06-2015, 08:52 AM   #15
onthewater

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierreyaldo View Post
lol ive had yellowtail bite black 100lb spectra when my mono got chewed off... dumb as rocks!
They definitely can at times, other times they seem to be somewhat line shy. There's probably a happy medium somewhere in the middle
onthewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 09:24 AM   #16
YakDout
Brandon

Dogged by those Rascally SeaDogs!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGoGoJack View Post
Helpful to know Yakdoubt!!!! Very good to know re heavier line.... Are you 1) braid to leader, 2) braid to mono to leader, or 3) braid to mono to hook, 4) all mono, 5) other??? Very interested....

50lb spectra to 3-4 ft 35lb blackwater flouro leader. Using improved albright knot for connection. My friend does the same but uses 40lb. Ive been broken off on 25lb a couple too times. I still use 30 occasionally but get bit on 35-40 just fine, so no reason to go down in line.
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 10:42 AM   #17
Cadillyak
Team Get $$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deamon View Post
GGGJ...there are some YAHOOs on BWE who will tell you they haven't rolled coming in...in like YEARS...B.S. on that B.S.

I'm calling them out today:

Dannowar...LIAR!!! ChuckieD... Roby...Cadilyak...No, wait a minute, I saw you fly through the air like a rag doll...

Jim
Pics or it never happened!
Cadillyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 11:49 AM   #18
Deamon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadillyak View Post
Pics or it never happened!
You know I had the GoPro on...but it was at night remember...?

Jim
Attached Images

Old 10-06-2015, 09:06 PM   #19
GoGoGoJack

I was thinking about letting it run when I saw the dog swim by .... In fact I was tortured by what if'ing myself with that idea for the rest of the day!!!! Grrrr. At the time, I Didn't know others had tried that. Helpful to know Daemon!!!
Old 10-06-2015, 09:14 PM   #20
GoGoGoJack

Thx Yakdout! I will give it a try with the 50 to 35! That should greatly reduce the fighting time and allow me to tighten up the drag!!!

Tags
seadogs, yellow tail