Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 08-07-2020, 03:35 PM   #1
Saba Slayer

Rockfish info

It looks like our local So Cal Rockfish regulations will probably be changing next season...some good (600'depth) and some bad (5 Vermillion limit)
I cut and pasted a few of the proposals that pertain to So Cal…

“Greetings fish and wildlife stakeholder...

A notice of proposed regulation changes concerning recreational and commercial fishing for federal groundfish and associated species has been posted to the Commission's website. The notice and associated documents can be accessed at https://fgc.ca.gov/Regulations/2020-...Proposed#27_30. Please refer to the notice for additional information…

NOTICE IS HEREBY GIVEN that the Fish and Game Commission (Commission)… proposes to amend sections…relating to recreational and commercial fishing regulations for federal groundfish and associated species for consistency with federal rules in 2021 and 2022.

Summary of Proposed Amendments:
The Department of Fish and Wildlife (Department) is proposing the following regulatory changes to be consistent with PFMC recommendations from its June 18, 2020 meeting for federal groundfish regulations in 2021 and 2022… This approach will allow the Commission to adopt state recreational groundfish regulations to timely conform to those taking effect in federal ocean waters in January 2021.

The proposed regulatory changes will implement the following changes:
1. Increase the allowable depth for the recreational groundfish fishery in the Southern Groundfish Management Area from 75 to 100 fathoms;
2. Increase the recreational bag limit for lingcod from one to two fish in the Mendocino, San Francisco, Central, and Southern Groundfish Management Areas;
3. Increase the recreational bag limit for cabezon from three to 10 fish within the RCG bag limit of 10 fish;
4. Increase the recreational bag limit for canary rockfish from two to 10 fish within the RCG bag limit of 10 fish;
5. Increase the recreational bag limit for black rockfish from three to 10 fish within the RCG bag limit of 10 fish;
6. Decrease the recreational bag limit for vermilion rockfish from 10 to five fish within the RCG bag limit of 10 fish;
7. Add method of take restriction for California scorpionfish…

Benefits of the Proposed Regulations:
The benefits of the proposed regulations are consistency with federal law, sustainable management of groundfish resources and promotion of businesses that rely on recreational and commercial groundfish fishing.

Public Participation:
NOTICE IS GIVEN that any person interested may present statements, orally or in writing, relevant to this action at a webinar/teleconference hearing to be held on Wednesday, August 19, 2020, at 10:00 a.m., or as soon thereafter as the matter may be heard. Instructions for participation in the webinar/teleconference hearing will be posted at www.fgc.ca.gov in advance of the meeting or may be obtained by calling 916-653-4899.

Saba Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 11:59 AM   #2
BenCantrell

I'd overall be happy with this. It will change rockfish days a bit. If I'm going for limits I'll start out at a good vermilion spot, get my 5, and then head over closer to the kelp and try for treefish, gopher, kelp, brown, etc. The 600 ft limit will be nice for fishing the edge of the canyon. Some of my spots are legal when you hook up with the fish, but by the time you've reeled it up you've drifted over to 500-600 ft depths.
BenCantrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 12:00 PM   #3
BenCantrell

The 5 fish vermilion limit will make it even more important to have a descending device.
BenCantrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 02:50 PM   #4
Salty

Great information, I appreciate the update!
Salty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 09:10 AM   #5
Oolie
Headshots Only

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenCantrell View Post
The 5 fish vermilion limit will make it even more important to have a descending device.

My thoughts exactly.
Oolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 08:16 AM   #6
SoCalEDC

Cool. A minimum size limit wouldn't be a bad deal either Imo.
2020 Hobie Outback SOLD
2021 Stealth Fisha 500
#StealthTribe
SoCalEDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 08:26 PM   #7
mocruz1200
Junior

i wonder what the take changes for sculpin are?
mocruz1200 is offline   Reply With Quote