Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2013, 09:11 AM   #81
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron&Julie View Post
Think about it, there are some top notch guides who do get people on fish. If reports were posted right away by the guides or customers, when they scored all of those yellows and whites it could only hurt their business for the next few days, as every PBer and kayaker would hit the water and take over the area.... We could give a flying Wallenda why others have their reasons for not posting timely reports. But if you see one from us, you might give the lengthy report a glance that it might help you soon after
If it was just about guides it would be one thing, that makes sense, but that is not only what it's about.

What get's me about the whole report thing is the double standards and how some have used this issue to attack others they simply do not like for one reason or another, and in the process kind of ruined it for everyone.

Some can post anything they want and another says something like "Seabass are in the kelp in the spring before they spawn... go get them!" and same people act like it's the end of the world.

Bashing people for sharing info become a way to put down newbies or enforce the somewhat highschoolish clique mentality. Newbies come in get excited about the new sport and want to post and share and then they get shot down.

The people behind this stuff are pretty obvious, and their posts clearly show their motivations.

5, 10, 15 posts 20 posts in five or six years all either attacking those who do share info or telling others that they should never post any info online. The question is if they are so against helping others why are they even here in the first place.

Some of these guys are long time members of the kayak community. I'd say it's about them flexing their muscles as the self proclaimed "Pioneers of Kayaking" while at the same time trying to block or deny access to anyone who brings new talent or even worse God forbid new ideas to the game.

For instance I remember the first time someone suggested that a thru hull transducer or one in the water might give better results then gluing one in your hull and a long time poster instantly came back and said: "All you need to kayak fish is a rod a rope and a gaff and the rest of this tech stuff is just total B.S. "

Years later in the age of Gopros and high tech Hummingbird finders that seems ridiculously comical but it was obviously about protecting what that poster saw as his status quot.

I think in the kayak community there are several factors that have come up that have kind of killed the report posting. Some are legitimate others are simply petty, but they have had significant impact,

The truth is there are reports that if posted will lead to overcrowding and overfishing and there are reports that don't lead to overcrowding and over fishing, and the good long time posters (blackcloud9 comes to mind) know the difference, and still post some great reports.

Unfortunately at the same time you have a segment of the community that wants to pretend that sharing any info or posting any report is bad. They don't share info. They do not want anyone else sharing info either.

The shame is rather then educating posters about what they can and should post these long time members of the community just want to shut everyone down for their own selfish reasons. That mentality has spread and as a result they've tainted the well for everyone.

Last edited by Fiskadoro; 10-29-2013 at 09:35 AM.
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 09:22 AM   #82
Siebler

Quote:
Originally Posted by maui jim View Post
Hunting season cant use a kayak for that....... I think I may need to borrow Jeorges SKUNK OFF SPRAY.... Stupid deer, pigs, quail,

I think I use my kayaks more during hunting season than for fishing.....

Siebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 09:27 AM   #83
Siebler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margarita Mike View Post
Some of us are just to damn old anymore. Hell, Its getting hard to remember my pass word.

You know its serious when you get mike away form his Hot Rods to post on a kayak fishing forum

Speaking of that Mike, Nicole is off till 12/7 so if you have any shows or anything let us know! Or if you go camp Jennings we will come and see you for a beer or something at least.

Siebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 04:44 PM   #84
Aaron&Julie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiskadoro View Post
If it was just about guides it would be one thing, that makes sense, but that is not only what it's about.

What get's me about the whole report thing is the double standards and how some have used this issue to attack others they simply do not like for one reason or another, and in the process kind of ruined it for everyone.

Bashing people for sharing info become a way to put down newbies or enforce the somewhat highschoolish clique mentality.....
You know that, we know that, and others too. Put once the food is spoiled there's not a whole lot you can do about it, it won't taste the same.

Not succumbing to peer pressure is difficult, no doubt most difficult to newbies. When an experienced 'yaker will show them the ropes so their learning curve shoots up, but is told to keep their success quiet to prevent an onslaught of others to ruin the fishing, what are they likely to do? They do have a choice: #1 join with the clique/experienced 'yaker or #2 say "screw it", I'll do as I please. Odds are 98% of them will go with #1. We're happy to be the 2%ers and do #2 (please no potty jokes) that still enjoy openly trying to help out everyone. We are happy to give feedback, when sharing information on the beach, on the internet and OTW, too. That is if you don't become a barnacle and cling to us where ever we go. Not many want that, that's one of the things guides are for, and one of the niceties of 'yaking on the ocean, some solitude. We've had some barnacles in years past, it was a bad as trying to shake a big "dog" from stealing all of your mackerel. Sure it's nice if you see rods bent in the distance or an experienced 'yaker out there and head in those directions. No one wants to miss a hot bite. Just be considerate enough not to follow them everywhere they go.

When we started this great sport 10 years ago, we received excellent beginners information through open communication on the websites we visited, mostly from the DPKFM website and guys like Quietman, Piranha and Yani. We received good info on this website as well, about fishing high and low with macks, and timely reports of fish being caught.

We never received a PM about a hot bite. We haven't modernized to fish finders or peddlers, yet. (Probably be bashed for mentioning that one). We put in our time, more time, more time, and still do. Our 4 trips in the last 3 months (only ones in 1.5 years) returned some good eating bottomfish, and a 23lb yellowtail. Not great, but it's time well spent, because we both love everything about kayak fishing, which includes helping out those just learning the game, openly and without discrimination. Some people just aren't with the program anymore on that last part. Eh, what are going to do #1 or #2?

Last edited by Aaron&Julie; 10-29-2013 at 04:48 PM. Reason: Add-on
Aaron&Julie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 05:07 PM   #85
Drake

This thread went from a very constructive discussion, to zeroing in on JUST Fish Reports. The topic of posting ish reports has been debated way too many times since I've become active on this forum. Why do we continue to talk about the same topic? It always ends in a closure. Have we learned nothing?
Old 10-29-2013, 07:00 PM   #86
Smthtnnr
Fishing Addict

Wow this is one dead horse. I think the posting situation is good as it is, not too many people post reports so no hot bites are really given away, but there still are occasional reports that are helpful.
Smthtnnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 10:16 PM   #87
Aaron&Julie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smthtnnr View Post
Wow this is one dead horse. I think the posting situation is good as it is, not too many people post reports so no hot bites are really given away, but there still are occasional reports that are helpful.
You're probably the most correct on both your points. But as Adi implied there is a trend, a trend that is quite different than it was 10 years ago, for those that that have followed BWE religiously, and fished LJ for that long, and remember what it was like back then.

That trend is across the board on ALL SoCal kayak fishing websites. All you can do is just make the best what you can get, and put your time in.
Old 11-04-2013, 09:08 AM   #88
dbarnett66
Danodog

I spoke with some kayak guys about BWE on occasions when visiting the local lakes and they seemed disinterested because they spent the majority of time on freshwater. A couple of guys told me that BWE didn't really appeal to them. Could a dedicated freshwater forum be added to appeal to another sub-group of kayak angler? It could boost the membership and educate the others to transition to saltwater.

I am still trying to lose more weight before I get out past the breakers. Eventually I will get there.
dbarnett66 is offline   Reply With Quote