Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2010, 10:59 PM   #81
Limits
Kayak Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVC View Post
I have a Prowler 13 and a Hobie Revo. I use them both. I like the Prowler for the bays. It is easier to fish around the docks. If I am going to go a long distance, I always take the Hobie.
I concur 100%.

I'm thinking about picking up a paddle yak for bay fishing where I don't need to paddle for distance.
Limits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 09:03 PM   #82
erick
Junior

I keep seeing pictures of guys holding big fish on a kayak with hobie graphics on it. Hobie looks good to me.
erick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 05:55 PM   #83
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

I got the best of both worlds. I bought a Quest. Hobie Reputation - mirage drive, who said you cant please all the people all the time.

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 06:49 PM   #84
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveooo View Post
I have a Hobie Adventure. I do take it out sans mirage drive sometimes. It paddles and tracks a million times better than my old eXtreme, or the old ok scrambler I used to rent. Its like a 16 ft dagger. It isn't going to be as efficient as a tarpon 160, but relatively speaking, it paddles better than some other "traditional" kayaks on the market. I also used to have an outback. Exactly like paddling an giant egg...

I forgot about this thread. I'll tell ya Steveooo "Exactly like paddling an giant egg..." part just cracks me up every time I see it.

Too Funny!!!

Jim
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 07:01 PM   #85
lterrero
Leo

All I can say is,, hands free
lterrero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 07:04 PM   #86
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Day View Post
I forgot about this thread. I'll tell ya Steveooo "Exactly like paddling an giant egg..." part just cracks me up every time I see it.

Too Funny!!!

Jim
oldtimers disease really sucks. its not cool that "they" labeled you a "Senior Member" either..

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

Old 12-11-2010, 08:06 PM   #87
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus kid View Post
oldtimers disease really sucks. its not cool that "they" labeled you a "Senior Member" either..
Growing older sure beats the alternative, and actually I'm kind of "Young for my age" As to "Senior Member" I see it as kind of complimentary like "Biggus Dickus"

Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 08:08 PM   #88
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

nice one Jim

Old 12-12-2010, 08:54 PM   #89
yak addact
Junior

sometimes when I've had a crummy day at work I remember my kayak is at home waiting for me and at a moments notice is ready to go create another adventure I'll never forget and the crummy day... is forgotten. So whether you paddle or peddle who cares because it really doesn't matter when your being towed. If its made of hard plastic,floats and doesn't require gas what is it ?
yak addact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 07:30 AM   #90
lterrero
Leo

Quote:
Originally Posted by j mo View Post
LMFAO! Great point im taking my Hobie back and telling them it doesnt self steer.....
Try to paddler with one hand & steer at the same time, but don't worry j mo I'm working in a Autopilot
lterrero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 07:54 AM   #91
steveooo

Quote:
Originally Posted by yak addact View Post
If its made of hard plastic,floats and doesn't require gas what is it ?

OOOh OOOh, I Know!

steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 08:07 AM   #92
old_rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveooo View Post
OOOh OOOh, I Know!

now THAT is something I'd like to ride....
old_rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 08:54 AM   #93
tagyak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy View Post
No doubt, Hobie's are super cool.

However, there is something within me that boils in my gut as one scoots by.

At first I thought...what's that smell? Jealously? Is that coming from my boat?
Then I realized it. It was the look on the face of the Hobie guy.

It's the same look on the face of the Prius guy as he drives by you in the carpool lane, all by himself;
chin just a little higher...lips slightly curled back into a super self satisfied sneer.

Did he just raise a pinky as he adjusted that rudder!?!

He's not doing it on purpose.
He does it when he's alone too.
He doesn't know he's doing it at all.
Let him be.

As I chug along, burning gas, cursing the guy rigging up his poles as he's going forward into the current...I realize the smell is coming from my boat.

Meh.
Curse you Hobie guy.

Willy
thanks willy for your post.
it reminds me of when stinkymatt and i were first getting into this kayak thing and i was the one saying that we should get the hobie. instead stinkymatt convinced me that we should get the paddle kayak, so i got mine first. then stinkymatt got his hobie!!!
went to newport and watched stinkymatt catch fish while peddling and i was paddling trying to fish and keep up.
that was it, my marauder went onto C.L. and i searched for my hobie. i haven't looked back since.
for me it is all about comfort and laziness to an extent. my mother always said "why work harder, when you can work smarter".
tagyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 11:08 AM   #94
Billy V

A couple of years ago I was out fishing off LJ in my Hobie Revo with 2 other friend that were on a Tarpon 16, and a Scupper Pro.

We were about a mile and a half out fishing a little deeper when the worst Santa Anna I ever saw blew up out of nowhere.

The first thing we notice was all the wind stopped suddenly and then it changed directions to offshore and then we could hear it coming.

- You could see the ripples build over the glass flat water until there were 3 ft. wind waves spaced a few feet apart.
25-30 mph winds no BS. You could barely turn the kayak around without flipping.

As it was all happening I saw 3 lime green rental kayaks blow by me, and past the Children's Pool. My friend on the Scupper Pro made a dash for the kelp and hung onto the stringers until the lifeguards picked him up and towed his kayak into shore. The same happened to the 6 female Tourist.

When I look around to see if anybody else was around I saw this guy on a Yellow Revo Yo- Yoing as if it was just another day. He was using his peddles to stay in place, and the rudder to make adjustments to his position.
(Take a wild guess who this was)

I asked if he was going to head back in and he said "No problem we got the peddles" lmao So we stayed a bit longer (just because we could) and after a short while started to head back to the shores.
------------------------------------
All the awhile I had been watching my friend on the Tarpon 16 try his best to make headway. It was very difficult to watch him struggle, and he was becoming exhausted. He said his hands were numb from the wind splashing water on his hands and blowing away his insulation layer of air.

-So with the helicopter circling above, the SD PD boat, and Lifeguards on boats and jetskis asking - we returned to shore.

- I grabbed the bow handle on his tarpon and towed him in a little ways to give him a rest and allow his hands to recover. Once we got to the reserve buoys he was able to return under his own power.
-----------------------
I wouldn't recommend that anybody deliberately try this, but we were out there when it happened and made the best of it.

I got a chance to give a real life torture test to my Hobie under the worst condition possible and it passed with flying colors.

"No Problem we got the peddles"