Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2011, 08:44 AM   #1
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

gear storage solution?

The main problem I have with the "Big Red Squid" is my lack of gear storage space. I saw this and talked to the guy that makes them. Its a fishing system for SUP's and I thought that it would mount well behind the seat on the bungie deck space. The only problem is the crown down the center line of my yak. I was hopeing someone with that inner macgyver would have some ideas for building something like this that I could do inexpensively at home. The guy that makes these does a great job but I can't afford the 250 these systems cost.

http://www.badinfluencetattoo.com/gallery.php?artist=21
William Novotny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 09:26 AM   #2
pchen911

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Novotny View Post
"Inner Macgyver"
LOL..

$250 for 2 scotty rod holders and a pelican box?! Crazy.

Just mount the scotty bases directly on the boat. ($25 each). Or better yet, mount a couple of flush mounts at $9 each.
pchen911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 11:36 AM   #3
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

Haha I totally agree. I'm not even focusing on the holders, just a way to mount a base to turn a crowned surface into a flat surface to secure a box to. Doesn't even have to be a dry box. I was considering mounting 2 stainless rails about 20" apart, almost like a roof rack ontop of a car. That way I could lay something flat across and bungie it down.

Old 10-25-2011, 11:40 AM   #4
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

Quote:
Originally Posted by pchen911 View Post
LOL..

$250 for 2 scotty rod holders and a pelican box?! Crazy.

Just mount the scotty bases directly on the boat. ($25 each). Or better yet, mount a couple of flush mounts at $9 each.
And its my personal opinion that SUP's are way overpriced and I don't expect any less from a sup accessory

Old 10-25-2011, 03:08 PM   #5
Caffeind

Hey Will, my buddy had a similar storage problem with his Necky Dolphin...A standard crate just wouldnt fit.

He built this out of a dishpan, some PVC pipe (heated and pushed on a wine bottle for the openings) and a piece of metal acrossed the part where he mounted the rod holders to add stability. With the crown yours has you may need to add something to shim up the side gaps before you strap it down.

This is the best pic I could find to blow up the "crate/pan".
Probably cost him less than $20.
Hope it helps. Good luck.
Caffeind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 07:21 PM   #6
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caffeind View Post
Hey Will, my buddy had a similar storage problem with his Necky Dolphin...A standard crate just wouldnt fit.

He built this out of a dishpan, some PVC pipe (heated and pushed on a wine bottle for the openings) and a piece of metal acrossed the part where he mounted the rod holders to add stability. With the crown yours has you may need to add something to shim up the side gaps before you strap it down.

This is the best pic I could find to blow up the "crate/pan".
Probably cost him less than $20.
Hope it helps. Good luck.
Hey Gary! Yeah before anything I need to shim the back to raise the plain above the crown like you said. I'm gonna look for a really shallow sturdy box and rig it up. I was gonna try a crate but I'm worried about having stuff stowed that high above water level. The lack of a tankwell is a real pain but I'm trying to work around it and overcome. I'm getting the most out off this yaks strong points so ill tinker and enjoy it till I get something better.

Old 10-25-2011, 07:35 PM   #7
bubblehide

It sounds like all you really need to figure out is how to mount your Pelican box. It's pretty easy, just use an angle gauge (Home Depot has them) to figure out the angle of your hull, then use some plastic of an appropriate width, thickness, and length, as a spacer from your topside to being level with or just above your crown and bolt through using some 5200 or the like.

However, if your installing a battery box, you might want to think about mounting it inside the yak, to as you stated, keep the center of gravity low.
bubblehide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 07:46 PM   #8
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubblehide View Post
It sounds like all you really need to figure out is how to mount your Pelican box. It's pretty easy, just use an angle gauge (Home Depot has them) to figure out the angle of your hull, then use some plastic of an appropriate width, thickness, and length, as a spacer from your topside to being level with or just above your crown and bolt through using some 5200 or the like.

However, if your installing a battery box, you might want to think about mounting it inside the yak, to as you stated, keep the center of gravity low.
Not for a battery box, just gear storage. When I get my finder all will be ran and mounted inside.just need someplace to keep tackle and tools. And leave enough space for a couple flush mounts. But good info on the angle gauge. Probably a dumb question but what is 5200? I'm guessing its a grade of stainless but I'm a laymen when it comes to this stuff.

Old 10-25-2011, 07:52 PM   #9
bubblehide

3M 5200 is a marine caulking.
bubblehide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 08:06 PM   #10
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

Gotcha. I've got marine goop is that the same or is the goop just an adhesive?