Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2011, 06:40 PM   #1
Hunter (The 80's Man)

My style of babysitting...

Actually, my wife says it's not babysitting when it's your own kid. So, I took my youngest, Jeremiah (age 3) to Irvine Lake. The morning started off early at 3:30 a.m. I woke up and immediately started pondering the layers of clothing and what we would need for the day's adventure. Anticipating my own needs is one thing, trying to satisfy the needs and mind of a 3-year-old confined to a tank well is a entirely different dilemma. Snacks, drinks, snacks, toys, snacks, drinks, snacks, change of clothes... I tried thinking of it all, over and over. I wanted this day to go smoothly, and for the most part, it did.

We got to the lake about 5 a.m. and quickly took our place in line. We only had a half hour to wait until the gait was open, where we could get to the bait shop for a hot chocolate (the first form of 3-year-old entertainment). So, we sat in the truck and went over fishing technique. In 3-year-old terms, I tried to explain about drag, when to reel, when not to reel, how to hold his pole. I could see the excitement on his face. So, we got our drinks and waited the last half hour in the dark and cold amongst all the other fisherman milling around outside their cars.. lying about the one that got away. I could see it on Jeremiah's face, soaking it all up. He really felt like big stuff.

In no time the gate was open, the kayak was off the truck, and we were underway. I packed the pouch on the rear of my seat with all his stuff and told him he could help himself, which he did almost immediately (starting with the food). I threw out Rapalas on each of our rods and started paddling up the west bank. We made one pass, the length of the lake, and then hooked up on his rod... perfect.

He handled the fish like a pro. It was me that was the rookie with missed underwater footage, and net shot. With one on the stringer I felt instant relief.

I had accomplished the minimum goals I had set for the day. My son had hooked up and I got film to share with family and friends. We caught one more just before we had lunch on our own private island. It was a good day filled with lots of smiles, laughs and about every 10 seconds a "Hey dad!".

Now that's babysitting...

Here's a link of our day in fast-forward I thought you'd enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kk87vDa0rcY

Rob

Last edited by lambadmin; 11-21-2011 at 07:18 PM. Reason: embed video
Hunter (The 80's Man) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 06:46 PM   #2
pchen911

Nice. Been waiting to take my 4 year old out too. Irvine lake seems like a great place to do it even though it's a bit pricy. They stocked it with some good sized fish though.
pchen911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 07:13 PM   #3
roby
CEO of Team Roby

Priceless!!!

Awesome video.....
roby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 07:26 PM   #4
GregAndrew

I found myself with an uncontrollable grin on the entire vid. WTG Dad, although now you have to feed his addiction too.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 07:27 PM   #5
lamb

Very VERY cool!

That part when he's petting the fish it is pure gold!

I got a couple of lil' ones lined up. The other day I was in Mission Bay with good friend's 6 year old. We rocked greenies and lizards on small chovies, had a blast!

The kids get that plain joy fired, it's cool to watch. We all remember when it was lit up in all of us.

It's cool that you carefully planned it, played safe, and got a great trip. Lil' ones can be quick and unpredictable. Very cool, your 3 year old is IN now... hooked!
Old 11-21-2011, 07:31 PM   #6
burning drag
make do with what you hav

That's a great feeling isn't it
burning drag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 07:32 PM   #7
kobra

That's awesome Rob. Very cool vid.
kobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 07:43 PM   #8
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

THAT IT I AM PUMPED!!!

Starts up cars....

Goes to Big 5

Let me have 2 kids fresh water reels

Comes back home...

ALRIGHT MATT< ROBY > ERIK >GEORGE (just bring a doll)

WE HAVE TO DO A KIDS TRIP TO LAKE IRVINE!!!

Team: Disbanded
You only have one chance in this life...make the right decision(s)...so you don't regret it
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 09:04 PM   #9
wade

SIMPLY PRICELESS!!!!!!!!!!!

wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 09:22 PM   #10
StinkyMatt

Rob, that was just incredible!:luxhello :

I had a smile on my face the entire time, my wife watched it too. We loved it.

Your boy is a pro, he looked soooo relaxed.

Great job Dad!
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 10:51 PM   #11
sdfisher

Great experience for the both of you!

awesome video, the little guy pulled that fish in like a pro.
sdfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 10:58 PM   #12
RedSledTeam
Daddeo

Special Dad

Rob,
That was an incredible footage! It takes a very special Dad to teach his son how to hold the fishing pole properly with the reel hanging below the rod. Way to go Dad! You found the perfect seat in the back too! What a great video.
-RST
RedSledTeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 11:44 PM   #13
jorluivil

WOW......that is by far one of the best videos father son videos I've ever seen, saying its priceless is an understatement. I recall the days when my son and I would go out on my boat, good times then the teenage bug hit.

Enjoy every second because the years will fly by and before you know it they'll be teenagers. I had not seen my daughter for the last few days because of her school and work schedule, today I finally got to see her but it was for a quick minute and unforetunately I was in bed trying to get some zzzz's before I came to work. Cherish every single second with your kids because like I said, before you know it they'll be teenagers with attitudes and trying to get some time in will be like a having a second job.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer

Last edited by jorluivil; 11-22-2011 at 01:08 AM.
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 11:47 PM   #14
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredantz View Post
THAT IT I AM PUMPED!!!

Starts up cars....

Goes to Big 5

Let me have 2 kids fresh water reels

Comes back home...

ALRIGHT MATT< ROBY > ERIK >GEORGE (just bring a doll)

WE HAVE TO DO A KIDS TRIP TO LAKE IRVINE!!!

I'd sit my son in the back but he's 5'10", he'd look really goofy. Come to think of it, he will fit right in with us.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 05:13 AM   #15
Monovasia

You brought back some great memories

When my boys were small I would strap the car seats into the hatch back and back down the boat ramp at the lake by our house...we would catch sunfish and catfish all night long....a couple of time we watched the sun come up...simply a great way to spend the night and bond with your kids and pass on the fever....

Thanks for the video
Monovasia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 05:53 AM   #16
Aaron&Julie

Hey Rob, that's magical. And actually with the great music in the background, and the way the camera moves around quite a bit, it's better than most everything on VH1 and MTV, and looks intentional. That is one music video that you'll cherish the REST of your life. Your son and you will look at it in years to come with joy and remembrance. Congrats on a job well done, as a father more than a fisherman.
Aaron
Old 11-22-2011, 07:15 AM   #17
blitzburgh

AWESOME VID! Can't wait to get my 22 month old boy on the water. I love the part where your boy keps checking on the fish, pulling on the stringer, CLASSIC. It makes me laugh because I remember doing that every 30 seconds with my Dad (& Brothers) at Pymatuning Lake (in PA). They would get after me over and over.."Put those dang fish back in the water boy!" HAHAHAHAHAHA....Great vid man, thank you for sharing.
Old 11-22-2011, 07:19 AM   #18
mtnbykr2

what a video, what a memory...hang on to that tight it will seem like it happened so long ago, great job DAD...
mtnbykr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 07:41 AM   #19
Tman
BRTF...bought & paid...

Way to go, instant fishing partner...

And it only gets better!

Tman
Gaffer for Clay the Fishcatcher
Tman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 09:12 AM   #20
MrPukaShell

One of the best video's for all time. I agree with the others, fishing partner for life. When he pulled the stringer along side and was petting the fish was priceless. That boy is going to cost you a fortune in the years to come. Thanks for taking the time to share...........
MrPukaShell is offline   Reply With Quote