Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-16-2013, 04:47 PM   #1
kelpbass91
Junior

DIY wheel cart?

I know some people here have had to of made a wheel cart, does anybody have a link to a post or any advice on how to do it? I was thinking insert a metal tube into pvc and make it that way. What kind of wheels would you use and where would you get everything? Thanks alot.
kelpbass91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 04:51 PM   #2
jruiz
Large Member

Pvc from anywhere, wheels from harbor freight, and ss hardware.
jruiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 05:37 PM   #3
Sdspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelpbass91 View Post
I know some people here have had to of made a wheel cart, does anybody have a link to a post or any advice on how to do it? I was thinking insert a metal tube into pvc and make it that way. What kind of wheels would you use and where would you get everything? Thanks alot.

Here's one of many!

http://palmettokayakfishing.blogspot...art-build.html
Sdspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 05:48 PM   #4
jorluivil

If you plan on using it in the sand save your money and invest in a wheelies cart, you will NOT regret it.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 05:52 PM   #5
beergillz
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdspeed View Post
Those are the blueprints I used...works great.
beergillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:52 PM   #6
MrM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
If you plan on using it in the sand save your money and invest in a wheelies cart, you will NOT regret it.
I will +1 this. I built the PVC cart referenced above, and one of the upright PVC posts snapped about 10 ft from my driveway after a trip to DP over the weekend. It only lasted about a year. Wasn't that easy to drag through the sand. It helped, don't get me wrong, but wasn't great.
Old 04-17-2013, 03:28 PM   #7
Cyn

I've been looking at that, but this cart was suggested in another thread and realistically it only costs like $10 more and if you're lazy it has high reviews in terms of quality: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...A2GUMCXR7HBXM2

My question is, they use the same type of wheels (or very close). Are those sufficient to drag 80+ lbs across sand? That seems like the biggest area for difficulty.
Cyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 04:40 PM   #8
CheapPelican

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyn View Post
My question is, they use the same type of wheels (or very close). Are those sufficient to drag 80+ lbs across sand? That seems like the biggest area for difficulty.
For short pulls like LJ, yes. Long pulls, like NPH Coast Guard launch, you'll be in for a work out.
Old 04-17-2013, 05:22 PM   #9
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyn View Post
I've been looking at that, but this cart was suggested in another thread and realistically it only costs like $10 more and if you're lazy it has high reviews in terms of quality: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...A2GUMCXR7HBXM2

The cart in the link and carts similar to it are great starter carts. I had a PVC cart for at least 3years and it did the job(+/- a repair here and there) most of the time but there were those days when I had to pull my kayak through sand it was exhausting. Yes, the wheelies carts are bulky but trust me, there are worth every penny and they can hold some weight. If you're strapped for cash get what you can afford for now and save some money for a wheelies cart.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 06:52 PM   #10
PE.rider

I built the cart from the instructions on the palmetto fishing site as well, and have had no issues with the cart, though I had tweaked the design to suit my needs (i.e. longer handle). If memory serves, there is also a metal version that is provide on that site too.

As for the wheels, you can purchase the thicker Wheelz tires, and so you can change the design to accommodate a longer axle.

In the end, it depends on whether your penchant is for the DIY route, or simple convenience... I'm sure OEX can hook you up on a good deal if you mean to purchase.
PE.rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 07:24 PM   #11
JarrodMc

I welded one up and had it powder coated. It works well in hardpack but you still gotta pull a bit in the soft sand
Old 04-21-2013, 07:37 PM   #12
gear junkie

http://www.c-tug.com/

That is what I'm using now. Made my own scupper cart.....doesn't work for fishing kayaks. The ctug is great but I took off the factory buckle and used a tie down buckle instead. Amazon was the cheapest place I found for it.
gear junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:57 PM   #13
tomahawk

I built a PVC cart out of 2" PCV. Pins together so it can be taken apart to fit in the yak. Works good in the sand. I have used it to make the trek from parking lot to beach at shoreline in LB. I will try post some pics.
tomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 09:06 PM   #14
momo fish

works on sand?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gear junkie View Post
http://www.c-tug.com/

That is what I'm using now. Made my own scupper cart.....doesn't work for fishing kayaks. The ctug is great but I took off the factory buckle and used a tie down buckle instead. Amazon was the cheapest place I found for it.
momo fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 09:09 PM   #15
gear junkie

Not sure. Gone over grass and sand and it did fine. I see they sell wheel extenders for soft sand and mud but have no experience with it. I'm using the cart for a PA 14. Not a light load at all.
Old 04-28-2013, 09:52 PM   #16
gear junkie

don't recommend the ctug for a PA. It's too big for it and the plastic buckes break too easily. I'm going to modify it to work only because I already bought it.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:20 PM   #17
JarrodMc

This is what I made. I'm making an adjustable one now to fit my Cuda 14 among other yaks. If you've got a Malibu, I'll sell you one that should fit. PM me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20130302_142436.jpg (95.6 KB, 51 views)