Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-01-2013, 09:13 PM   #1
momo fish

Question So Cal kayak bucket list

hi..

So I was thinking and planning the rest of year out and wanted to try different areas in order to see which I like... Everyone knows about LJ, so looking for other suggestions.. The criteria is anywhere between mexican border all the way north to central coast (big sur).. Ocean only... Ideally places that have good fishing, weather and launch.. Not looking to jump off rocks to launch kayak!

All you seasoned folks.. What would you recommend as your top 5-10 places you would recommend to try..?

thanks
momo fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 06:46 AM   #2
roadx

Launch out of mission bay and go south and hit ocean beach/northern section of point loma kelp beds Or go north and hit the wrecks

Last edited by roadx; 05-02-2013 at 06:55 AM.
roadx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 07:31 AM   #3
Raskal311

I’ve been wanting to ferry the yak to Catalina and do a two day yak and camp trip. I’ll probably wait another year or so when I’m a bit more experienced.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:43 AM   #4
Mahigeer

[
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raskal311 View Post
I’ve been wanting to ferry the yak to Catalina and do a two day yak and camp trip. I’ll probably wait another year or so when I’m a bit more experienced.

>>

I thought about that, but it seems it is not practical. >>
Here is why:>>
Catalina Express does not accept/transport kayaks. >>
The kayak must go on a freight barge. No idea of the cost.>>
So, you pay to the Express for going over and back, separate for the kayak.>>
>>
Barge docks at an area south of Pebbly Beach. Unless you want to get into the water there, you must hire a taxi capable of transporting a yak to the town. I have not seen one yet.>>
>>
Take the taxi from the Mole to the barge. Load up the kayak and bring it to town.>>
>>
Then reverse all of that for departure.>>
Take the kayak to the barge then take the taxi to the Mole. >>
Renting one there is an easier choice. $50.00 for a full day. $35.00 I/2 day. I was planning to do that when I heard of threshers and leopard sharks around. It was too windy and I was too tired.>>
>>
Next time I am on the island, I will do that first while I am fresh and rested.>>
>>
Mahigeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:13 AM   #5
taggermike

10-15 places? Watch the weather/swell conditions and bite reports and go for it. I don't know where you live but about any beach is a "spot". If you have a decent cart that opens up many more places. All the bays can be good. From south SD Bay bonefish to as far north as want to go. I've fished the kelp off South Imperial beach, carried the yak down the little bunny trails in to some Laguna Beach coves (All closed now, grrr), dodged surfers at Doheney, and dragged the yak down and up the steep long ass hill to Salt Creek. You can make you own spots. But here's a few; SD and Mission Bays, the USMC side of Oside harbor(you need a federal reserve license there), Dana Harbor is not so great but provides access to place north and south of there, Marine St in LJ, Fletchers Cove, any where in the San Onofre the life guards will let you launch, middle Hedionda Lagoon, Cardiff reef, Seaside reef, Buccaneer Beach in So Oside to fish the pipeline, off the power plant in Carlsbad. My experience ends in mid OC. Go for it. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:29 AM   #6
Raskal311

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahigeer View Post
[

>>

I thought about that, but it seems it is not practical. >>
Here is why:>>
Catalina Express does not accept/transport kayaks. >>
The kayak must go on a freight barge. No idea of the cost.>>
So, you pay to the Express for going over and back, separate for the kayak.>>
>>
Barge docks at an area south of Pebbly Beach. Unless you want to get into the water there, you must hire a taxi capable of transporting a yak to the town. I have not seen one yet.>>
>>
Take the taxi from the Mole to the barge. Load up the kayak and bring it to town.>>
>>
Then reverse all of that for departure.>>
Take the kayak to the barge then take the taxi to the Mole. >>
Renting one there is an easier choice. $50.00 for a full day. $35.00 I/2 day. I was planning to do that when I heard of threshers and leopard sharks around. It was too windy and I was too tired.>>
>>
Next time I am on the island, I will do that first while I am fresh and rested.>>
>>
I believe the catalina flyer or one of the other shuttle transport for a small fee. I recall $10-15.
Old 05-02-2013, 10:42 AM   #7
Siebler

You really take away a lot of cool areas by saying Saltwater only. Some cool stretches of the Colorado, Owens, Kern, etc....

Siebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 06:59 PM   #8
momo fish

same here.. I have heard in past of some boats that transport your kayak.. Just need to figure out which one or where I read this in the past.. Fishing twin (or 2) harbors is where I heard people go.. But again, I'm new so what do I know...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raskal311 View Post
Old 05-02-2013, 07:03 PM   #9
momo fish

wow. Thanks!! I know I will find my own spots, but life is short and would like to find spots to go.. I will end up spending days fishing and maybe catching..

What is your favorite spot?

also I'm in camarillo (ventura county)

Quote:
Originally Posted by taggermike View Post
10-15 places? Watch the weather/swell conditions and bite reports and go for it. I don't know where you live but about any beach is a "spot". If you have a decent cart that opens up many more places. All the bays can be good. From south SD Bay bonefish to as far north as want to go. I've fished the kelp off South Imperial beach, carried the yak down the little bunny trails in to some Laguna Beach coves (All closed now, grrr), dodged surfers at Doheney, and dragged the yak down and up the steep long ass hill to Salt Creek. You can make you own spots. But here's a few; SD and Mission Bays, the USMC side of Oside harbor(you need a federal reserve license there), Dana Harbor is not so great but provides access to place north and south of there, Marine St in LJ, Fletchers Cove, any where in the San Onofre the life guards will let you launch, middle Hedionda Lagoon, Cardiff reef, Seaside reef, Buccaneer Beach in So Oside to fish the pipeline, off the power plant in Carlsbad. My experience ends in mid OC. Go for it. Mike
Old 05-02-2013, 07:07 PM   #10
momo fish

your right and not intending to only fish ocean.. Was going to post any thread later for lakes and rivers...

right now just looking for more 3 to 5 areas folks would say is best places to try.. Granted everyone has different taste..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siebler View Post
You really take away a lot of cool areas by saying Saltwater only. Some cool stretches of the Colorado, Owens, Kern, etc....