Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-11-2014, 01:04 PM   #41
ful-rac
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddha View Post
I think the Kamp Rite tent cot will be fine. I doubt it will blow away since I am lying on it in a cot.

Closing up the windows should be good enough for the sand blowing?

What kind of tent are you looking to buy?

Not sure yet...probably something smaller than my 10x10 tent i have currently. Hopefully i can find something i can close up or tape up, to help keep most of the dirt out...
Old 01-11-2014, 01:36 PM   #42
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
I hate to help jack my own thread, BUT you will need the tent to be vented. When SUMMER arrives in BAJA it can be VERY HOT, you will need the ventulation open.

Makobob

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 01:51 PM   #43
rossman
Marginally Irrelevant

Don't over think the whole wind situation at Gonzaga. I was there for a week last May and did not have a tent or a sleeping bag. I slept on a beach lounger outside with a blanket over me. Not one day was I kept off the water because of wind. The only thing you have to be aware of is the speed at which conditions change. It takes literally seconds to go from flat calm to blowing at 30, but in the spring, you won't get days and days of this wind. Couple hours it dies down just as quickly and boom, you are back on the water.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
"When beholding the tranquil beauty and brilliancy of the ocean’s skin, one forgets the tiger heart that pants beneath it; and would not willingly remember that this velvet paw but conceals a remorseless fang. "
— Herman Melville

Y'all come see me now, hear!
rossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 09:07 AM   #44
makobob
Baitless on Baja

NEW GONZAGA TRIP ADDED

Gonzaga Trip ADDED for 2014!
March 20-24th, this is the second BIRTHDAY TRIP. Janine, fishtales, aka halibut hunter, will be celibrating her birthday in Gonzaga. Leaving morning of 20 March, should be another great trip, all are welcome to join us for this trip. Post here or pm Makobob, thanks.
Tight lines and bloody gaffs. Happy Birthday Janine.

Makobob

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
Old 01-15-2014, 09:52 AM   #45
buddha

How many people fit under a palapa to camp? I might have a few guys interested.

Where would be staying? Campo Beluga?
buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 10:31 AM   #46
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Quote:
How many people fit under a palapa to camp? I might have a few guys interested.

Where would be staying? Campo Beluga?
Palapa, $20 per night, 4 tents if they are not too big. We could get more palapas if needed. Yes Campo Beluga,
OR Even BETTER YET Team Fresh2Death and Baja or Bust are looking for a place to lease in the Punto Bufeo/Gonzaga area. Hope to find something by the time of this trip. Then our community would have a place to base out of in Gonzaga Bay area...................Stay Tuned for futher developements. Tight lines and bloody gaffs.

Makobob

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
Old 01-20-2014, 02:18 PM   #47
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Quote:
Originally Posted by makobob View Post
Palapa, $20 per night, 4 tents if they are not too big. We could get more palapas if needed. Yes Campo Beluga,
OR Even BETTER YET Team Fresh2Death and Baja or Bust are looking for a place to lease in the Punto Bufeo/Gonzaga area. Hope to find something by the time of this trip. Then our community would have a place to base out of in Gonzaga Bay area...................Stay Tuned for futher developements. Tight lines and bloody gaffs.

Makobob
ROBMONEY and Makobob are going to Gonzaga on 8-9th of Feb to look at a place there. Expect to have place to stay in Gonzaga in time for this trip. Hope, hope, at least that is the plan as it now stands.

UPDATED ANGLERS LIST

CKallday71
Walrus
John
Svendawg
Buddha
Johnny5
Friend of Johnny5
Makobob
Defjack

The above are FIRM the below are MAYBE'S

Captnblood34
Yakfisher
619-SWIM-DOG
Kelpbass91

This is going to be a FULL trip with lot's of good guys to fish with. All are welcome. We will hold a get together mid March.

Makobob

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN

Last edited by makobob; 02-17-2014 at 05:49 PM.
Old 01-24-2014, 12:40 PM   #48
battleborn

Good day all,
So after reading a post about a guy with a surf board having gotten a ticket in baja because he had 2 ft sticking out the back. Will this fly down there. I have hauled this way as long as I had the yak driving back and forth to SD to NV to AZ etc having been passed by CHP and local PD regularly and never had any issues. Do you think I will get stopped in Mex? Does anyone else transport this way?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20130901_175417.jpg (68.1 KB, 153 views)
battleborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 02:58 PM   #49
svendawg

Recommendations

If it were me I would rig a tail light, brake light and florescent red flag to the end of your PA on the rear carry rail. You know the lights like the ones the tow trucks attach to the wrecks that they tow. You can find this at Harbor Freight for around $20.00 item#69626
Technically your rig is not legal in Calif, because you have too much overhang behind your lights.
Just because you have not been stopped yet don't assume your legal.

This might help. This is only for Calif. I can't give you any info on what Mexico traffic laws might be but in Calif the California Department of Transportation states:
"[...] whenever the load upon any vehicle extends, or whenever any integral part of any vehicle projects, to the rear four feet or more beyond the rear of the vehicle, as measured from the taillamps, there shall be displayed at the extreme end of the load or projecting part of the vehicle:
a solid red or fluorescent orange flag or cloth not less than 12 inches square, or
during darkness, in addition to the required taillamp, two red lights with a bulb rated not in excess of six candlepower plainly visible from a distance of at least 500 feet to the sides and rear."

As for the length of overhang per California Vehicle Code Section 35410, "the load upon a vehicle, trailer or semitrailer shall not extend to the rear beyond the last point of support for a greater distance than that equal to two-thirds of the length of the wheelbase."

I hope this helps, if nothing else it will give you peace of mind while driving in Calif
svendawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 05:05 PM   #50
battleborn

Quote:
Originally Posted by svendawg View Post
If it were me I would rig a tail light, brake light and florescent red flag to the end of your PA on the rear carry rail. You know the lights like the ones the tow trucks attach to the wrecks that they tow. You can find this at Harbor Freight for around $20.00 item#69626
Technically your rig is not legal in Calif, because you have too much overhang behind your lights.
Just because you have not been stopped yet don't assume your legal.

This might help. This is only for Calif. I can't give you any info on what Mexico traffic laws might be but in Calif the California Department of Transportation states:
"[...] whenever the load upon any vehicle extends, or whenever any integral part of any vehicle projects, to the rear four feet or more beyond the rear of the vehicle, as measured from the taillamps, there shall be displayed at the extreme end of the load or projecting part of the vehicle:
a solid red or fluorescent orange flag or cloth not less than 12 inches square, or
during darkness, in addition to the required taillamp, two red lights with a bulb rated not in excess of six candlepower plainly visible from a distance of at least 500 feet to the sides and rear."

As for the length of overhang per California Vehicle Code Section 35410, "the load upon a vehicle, trailer or semitrailer shall not extend to the rear beyond the last point of support for a greater distance than that equal to two-thirds of the length of the wheelbase."

I hope this helps, if nothing else it will give you peace of mind while driving in Calif
Yes I usually have a bright red flag I got from NAPA that they use on semis on the back grab rail. I got those tail lights from HF they work pretty good so far. Man looks like I am almost there wheel base 139.8 I guess all the officers I see on the road either figure if someone runs into the banana the deserve a PA in their passenger seat or they are kayak fishing sympathizers The trick is to figure out what they consider the last point of support?
I have to wonder if the Mex officers will be as forgiving?
Old 01-24-2014, 05:57 PM   #51
svendawg

I believe your last point of support is the top of your extender bar. If you drive at night,(not recommended in Mexico) you will need to have a taillight on the aft grab rail.
Old 01-24-2014, 09:41 PM   #52
battleborn

Quote:
Originally Posted by svendawg View Post
I believe your last point of support is the top of your extender bar. If you drive at night,(not recommended in Mexico) you will need to have a taillight on the aft grab rail.

Thanks I usually have the extra lights on the extender bar. I will make mods.

Does triple A have mex insurance that is recognized. More importantly full coverage? First time trying to go that far inland and want to get everything in order excuse the newb questions.
Old 01-24-2014, 10:17 PM   #53
Sdspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by battleborn View Post

Does triple A have mex insurance that is recognized. More importantly full coverage? First time trying to go that far inland and want to get everything in order excuse the newb questions.

Looks like AAA does.

https://www.calif.aaa.com/home/insur...insurance.html
Sdspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 06:25 PM   #54
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Quote:
Originally Posted by battleborn View Post

Yes AAA does, full year for my 2005 chevy truck was less than $300. And that was for their best policy.

Makobob

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
Old 01-25-2014, 06:29 PM   #55
svendawg

Mexico insurance

I got my annual Mexican insurance through a club called Vagabundos Del Mar at vagabundos.com
It costs $35.00 annual membership but even after I paid the membership their insurance was cheaper that any other place I got quotes for. You can also get your FMM and Mexican fishing license through them.
You can also get up to date driving conditions from their website.
The club has been around for a long time. They cater to us gringo's that travel to Mexico
Old 01-26-2014, 09:44 PM   #56
battleborn

[QUOTE=svendawg;180254]I got my annual Mexican insurance through a club called Vagabundos Del Mar at vagabundos.com
It costs $35.00 annual membership but even after I paid the membership their insurance was cheaper that any other place I got quotes for. You can also get your FMM and Mexican fishing license through them.
You can also get up to date driving conditions from their website.
The club has been around for a long time. They cater to us gringo's that travel to Mexico[/QUOTE

Thanks everyone.
Old 01-28-2014, 10:10 AM   #57
buddha

Kamprite Oversized Tent Cot on Sale.

I posted this in the Gonzaga camping thread but it is such a good deal I thought I would share it again.

http://www.overstock.com/Sports-Toys...ml?searchidx=0
Old 01-28-2014, 11:29 AM   #58
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Quote:
I posted this in the Gonzaga camping thread but it is such a good deal I thought I would share it again.

Jeff, we could put about a dozen of those under shade at the place we are looking at in Gonzaga. Those look better than a tent they do not take up a lot of space.

BTW guys we should know if we have this place by the 10th of Feb. If it happens then we will save the $20.00 a night on each palapa, which would make these Gonzaga trips very affordable, just the cost of fuel down and back.

Again all Baja or Bust trips are open to all BWE members, JOIN US in Baja!!!!!
EVERYONE is welcome.

Makobob

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
Old 01-28-2014, 06:17 PM   #59
buddha

This one is even smaller but good for one person.

http://www.overstock.com/Sports-Toys...0/product.html
Old 01-29-2014, 05:11 PM   #60
buddha

Quote:
Originally Posted by makobob View Post
Jeff, we could put about a dozen of those under shade at the place we are looking at in Gonzaga. Those look better than a tent they do not take up a lot of space.

BTW guys we should know if we have this place by the 10th of Feb. If it happens then we will save the $20.00 a night on each palapa, which would make these Gonzaga trips very affordable, just the cost of fuel down and back.

Again all Baja or Bust trips are open to all BWE members, JOIN US in Baja!!!!!
EVERYONE is welcome.

Makobob
Here is a video of the Kamprite Oversized Tent Cot. Easy to set up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5X_sGB2NraY