Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-23-2013, 08:25 PM   #21
Bert Vega
Tail Chaser!

No it is a 2012. Doesn't have that feature. I read the rudder would be good place. But wanted to ask the guys that fish the areas I want too.
Bert Vega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 08:07 AM   #22
Bert Vega
Tail Chaser!

So it looks like I wont have my kayak in the garage this weekend. The parts have not come in yet and the shop still has to install them. I have the paddle hanging in my office until I can actually use it. I did want to ask what people would recommend for clothing. I seen some stuff online from Hobie and a few others. But was wondering what you guys wear this time of year. As it gets warmer the easier it will be to dress. But I want to start fishing the second my ribs can take it. I am also hunting for tackle like rods and reels. I really want to target Halibut, White Sea Bass, Yellow Tail, Calico Bass. I must say allot has changed since last I fished. Almost 20 years ago. I used to have a ton of gear but gave it away to friends here and there over the years. I got allot to learn and even more $$$ to spend. The warden is already in my ear and I not even close to being ready.
Old 12-31-2013, 04:31 PM   #23
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert Vega View Post
I did want to ask what people would recommend for clothing. I seen some stuff online from Hobie and a few others. But was wondering what you guys wear this time of year.
It really depends on what you are comfortable with. Some guys will be out with board shorts and a t-shirt while others will feel the need to wear waders and a splash jacket. I myself prefer to stay warm and dry, because being cold makes me miserable.

This might help, it's from another thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronbo613 View Post
It's cold around here much of the time and conditions change quickly so I have quite the kayaking wardrobe:

http://www.watermanatwork.com/KayakF...shingWear.html

The only thing not covered there is for extreme cold, especially in the ocean or large rivers, is a dry suit.
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 08:28 PM   #24
Bert Vega
Tail Chaser!

Thank you for the link. I am like you I don't like being cold. That is very helpful. Since I have to wait a little longer for FF to come in. I had them add trolley anchor line, anchor and a drift chute. I need a radio and one of those fancy fishing life jackets. Then my fishing tackle. I will have a gang of questions when it comes time for that. Anyone in Temecula area that fishes our coasts? I could use some help picking tackle. I don't want to waste money buying equipment. To find out I got all the wrong stuff. Also it would be great to meet a few of you. I appreciate all the advise this board has given me.
Old 01-01-2014, 07:14 AM   #25
Lipripper92592

I'm here in South Temecula and have pretty much the same setup that you purchased. What shop carries Hobie gear here in town? If you needs some help installing the FF or transducer, I can help. Check out the transducer mounting methods on here, I'd go with the plumbers putty/wetmount or create some type of bracket that would allow you to attach it to the back handle.
Good luck with healing up, remember what the old geezers say...."with age comes rollcage".....I think their on to something there.....
Lipripper92592 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 09:31 AM   #26
BrokeLoser

Quote:
So it looks like I wont have my kayak in the garage this weekend. The parts have not come in yet and the shop still has to install them. I have the paddle hanging in my office until I can actually use it. I did want to ask what people would recommend for clothing. I seen some stuff online from Hobie and a few others. But was wondering what you guys wear this time of year. As it gets warmer the easier it will be to dress. But I want to start fishing the second my ribs can take it. I am also hunting for tackle like rods and reels. I really want to target Halibut, White Sea Bass, Yellow Tail, Calico Bass. I must say allot has changed since last I fished. Almost 20 years ago. I used to have a ton of gear but gave it away to friends here and there over the years. I got allot to learn and even more $$$ to spend. The warden is already in my ear and I not even close to being ready.
Hey man, welcome to the show...you're gonna love this sh!t.
I come from a motoX background, I still ride a good bit but not like I use to. I use to practice atleast once a week and race every weekend. I've broken many bones...after breaking my wrists six times between the two I finally decided to back it down a couple of notches. I bought a kayak and even a sideXside to compliment my crf450 for off-road. Anyhoo...as far as gear / tackle goes; you've started out with the baddest kayak on the water, (I ride a PA 14) I'd suggest you try and start out with gear in the middle to upper range as far as quality goes. I've found that if you don't you will just throw good money after bad re-buying sh!t atleast twice. Also, not to sound like a follower or anything but you'll be around guys with all the badass sh!t and gear envy sucks...plus, when you do get skunked and you have Walmart gear the first thing you'll think is; "I would have killed it if I had better gear." (not true at all but that's still what you'll think).
To get a little specific gear wise; I really like fishing 'light', I always have. I don't find it all that fun to winch fish in, meaning I would never take 20# gear out to target and catch 3# fish. In fact, I'll usually haul out 15# gear to target the 25# class. I really like the Shimano Teramar series rods and the Daiwa Lexa and Daiwa Luna reels. You're gonna get a lot of help from people here on this site...you have definitely found the right place. Good luck...see ya on the water someday!

Last edited by BrokeLoser; 01-01-2014 at 09:40 AM.
BrokeLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 02:50 PM   #27
salty pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lipripper92592 View Post
I'm here in South Temecula and have pretty much the same setup that you purchased. What shop carries Hobie gear here in town? If you needs some help installing the FF or transducer, I can help. Check out the transducer mounting methods on here, I'd go with the plumbers putty/wetmount or create some type of bracket that would allow you to attach it to the back handle.
Good luck with healing up, remember what the old geezers say...."with age comes rollcage".....I think their on to something there.....
Over by the car dealership's is Nomad Adventures they are a hobie dealer and stock parts.
salty pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 02:59 PM   #28
salty pirate

Quote:
Thank you for the link. I am like you I don't like being cold. That is very helpful. Since I have to wait a little longer for FF to come in. I had them add trolley anchor line, anchor and a drift chute. I need a radio and one of those fancy fishing life jackets. Then my fishing tackle. I will have a gang of questions when it comes time for that. Anyone in Temecula area that fishes our coasts? I could use some help picking tackle. I don't want to waste money buying equipment. To find out I got all the wrong stuff. Also it would be great to meet a few of you. I appreciate all the advise this board has given me.
Welcome and congrats on buying a bad ass kayak! if you need help picking gear or if you want to stop by check out some proven gear let me know.

Eli
salty pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 03:49 PM   #29
Bert Vega
Tail Chaser!

East side of Ynez between Rancho Cali and Overland. I going to take you both up on the offers. Thank you. The guy at shop said you just mount transducer to floor of hull. They are supposed to install all the parts on my yak. I read about a few different locations and system for transducer placement. But dude assures me that it is supposed to work. I been thinking of just bringing it home. And doing it myself in the garage. Help pass the time and giving me something to do while I finish healing.
Old 01-01-2014, 08:37 PM   #30
StinkyMatt

Do a search on this site. There are several ways.....all of them can be done by you. When you do it yourself you also learn about your gear.
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 09:07 PM   #31
Bert Vega
Tail Chaser!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StinkyMatt View Post
Do a search on this site. There are several ways.....all of them can be done by you. When you do it yourself you also learn about your gear.
I think I am going to do just that. Thank you. Going to go pick it up tomorrow or Friday and get to work.
Old 01-02-2014, 10:46 AM   #32
Bert Vega
Tail Chaser!

So I going to cancel the hobie fish finder install kit. Just getting the battery mount and doing to do the wet cap install inside of haul. That seems to be the easiest most popular way of doing it. Once I start I will post pictures of rigging process and the questions I will have during install. So excited!!
Old 01-02-2014, 12:22 PM   #33
Mongo Johnson

Check in with Andy at the Sunset Beach OEX store. Great and experienced resource for installs and options. "Iceman" is the forum handle and there are some mod' threads on this forum with photos. He has lots of genuine yak fishing cred'.
Old 01-02-2014, 12:44 PM   #34
COLDCUT
Junior

Hey guys, not to jack the thread or anything but I'm a noob and up here in Temecula too. I just recently bought my son and I a couple of OK Ultras from OEX Mission Bay. We've busy planning and rigging and we've also arrived at the FF phase. On that note, I purchased a Lowrance Elite-4 DSI but I'm thinking about returning it and going with regular 2D sonar. I'm afraid the DSI won't workout real well if I find myself in deeper waters. Any suggestions on finders? Also, if you guys end up meeting up for an impromptu "tech day", I'd love to take part. I'm still a noob but i know about good beer
COLDCUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 01:05 PM   #35
WildernessWanker
WildernessWanker

Quick comment on fishing gear to get you started. Personally I wouldn't go out and spend money on higher end gear if you're new to kayaking and semi-new to fishing again. I can't speak for everyone else on here but I think it takes some time to get acclimated to kayaking and then kayak fishing. There is a lot that can go wrong and you'll run the risk of losing gear, better less-expensive gear than top-end. Everyone takes a spill or two, some lose gear that way. Others have lost it by it sliding off the yak into the drink following a distraction. Leashes are a must but there's always those small moments when gear is not leashed and it only takes a moment. Also, if it's not lost then it's mildly abused initially. My first year out resulted in a submerged reel about a dozen times as a result of unhooking a fish and it slipping or just falling out of the holder during an attempted roll. I'm not saying never buy good gear, I just think there's nothing wrong starting with an Ugly Stik and Penn Jigmaster while mastering the basics. A lot of nice fish are landed on worse! Plus when you do upgrade you appreciate good gear and spending the money doesn't sting as much. Just my 2¢
WildernessWanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 02:36 PM   #36
Bert Vega
Tail Chaser!

I have been going back and forth with the rod and reel stuff. Some say get good stuff and some say wait on it. I going to keep looking around. Going to try to go mid grade. But try to get low level costing for it.

It is pretty cool to see we have a handful of guys here in Temecula area. We should get a meet and greet (beers) setup. With the others in this area. We could all start going fishing together.
Old 01-02-2014, 02:42 PM   #37
rieffer

Congrats on the PA. It's a lot easier on the bod than the mountain biking.
Check with your dealer about the transducer install, if it's a Lowrance, everything is set up to hook up in about an hour.
rieffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 08:29 PM   #38
Bert Vega
Tail Chaser!

Thank you. I am very happy with my selection. I picked it up from the shop today. Still waiting on FF from Hobie and my two front rod holders. But I went and grabbed it anyway. Brought it home and put in the garage. I should have cleaned it out first but it's in. I know Hobie says to lay upside down or on side for storage. My question is how long can I leave laying on hull. I put it on two plastic tables so I can start working on it. Also the foam blocks that are inside the hull. They are zip tied in place. Should I remove them or leave them?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (54.6 KB, 128 views)

Last edited by Bert Vega; 01-02-2014 at 08:37 PM.
Old 01-03-2014, 07:14 AM   #39
ful-rac
Emperor

leave the foam blocks. They look like they're not supposed to be there but they are. If you remove them you will have problems.
Old 01-03-2014, 07:17 AM   #40
Bert Vega
Tail Chaser!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ful-rac View Post
leave the foam blocks. They look like they're not supposed to be there but they are. If you remove them you will have problems.
Thank you. I will not be touching them.