Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-09-2014, 08:04 AM   #41
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

Quote:
Originally Posted by kareem korn View Post
Rule of thumb is 100#+ acceptable to harvest. In the last ten years kayakers have set their moral standard at 50#. Which is a decent fish to catch off a kayak and is a fair amount of meat.
Now it looks like the new group of expert kayakers are lowering their standards to week old pups.
It's a shame.
But fuck it it's legal.

I'm not sitting high on the horse, but after 45 years of fishing the california coast I have common sense to know right from wrong.

Comparing a green bass to a new born t is stupid.
Walk up dvl ramp with a stringer of "legal" lmb. Show them around the parking lot. Post pics.
Tell me you wont get shit for that
I think this conversation is better suited for the people who makes the fishing regulations. History has shown that people have trouble doing what is morally right.* Its like cheating on your wife knowing that she will never find out. What human law is their to say it is illegal to cheat on your wife, yet people still do it. etc.

Team: Disbanded
You only have one chance in this life...make the right decision(s)...so you don't regret it
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 08:11 AM   #42
kareem korn

Yeah, it's just a shame to see.
It's even worse when some dont see a problem with it.
kareem korn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 08:11 AM   #43
TJones

stay on target

[QUOTE=kareem korn;193527]Rule of thumb is 100#+ acceptable to harvest. In the last ten years kayakers have set their moral standard at 50#. Which is a decent fish to catch off a kayak and is a fair amount of meat.
Now it looks like the new group of expert kayakers are lowering their standards to week old pups.
It's a shame.
But fuck it it's legal.

I'm not sitting high on the horse, but after 45 years of fishing the california coast I have common sense to know right from wrong.

Comparing a green bass to a new born t is stupid.
Walk up dvl ramp with a stringer of "legal" lmb. Show them around the parking lot. Post pics.
Tell me you wont get shit for that[/
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 08:16 AM   #44
wiredantz

Quote:
that is the world we live in.

You only have one chance in this life...make the right decision(s)...so you don't regret it
Old 05-09-2014, 08:29 AM   #45
Zed
BANNED

Ive said this so many times over the years but taking a thresher is a huge PITA.
Ive been involved w 2. Mine was the 4th I caught and I wanted to eat one. The care involved to keep it good is extensive. You have to have the space to dress it then chill it then clean it then store it all after you get the damn thing to shore.

The second I was involved w taking died head down in the mud in 300' off Laguna. It had to be winched up tail first the last 20min and it was muddy past its pecs. That one was well over 100 and was an exponential PITA. It gets harder to keep it good w everything involved in prep.

I recco you have your ice and giant chest ready before you go out. Get to the beach fast and get it cool fast. Dress it then pack w ice and let it chill maybe overnight. Then sharpen your knife and get to steaking w breaks to resharpen your knife often.

To me now they are a pain and a pest and Id rather spend the time treating hemorrhoids or getting a root canal.
Old 05-09-2014, 08:39 AM   #46
Zed
BANNED

Last edited by Zed; 05-09-2014 at 02:27 PM.
Zed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 08:46 AM   #47
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

Quote:
I understand your point and I agree with you to an extent. I would not advertise the keep of a small thresher. I also know what I can afford to keep and what will go to waste if i kill it. The t in the original link is a little smaller then what I would feel comfortable killing. The pup in your second picture would get released for sure, but anything over 50# for me would also go to waste for sure. 2 years ago I targeted thresher for the sport of it and kept 1 70# fish for the bbq. I had to give away allot of meat. Just didn't have room for it. I didn't mean for it to sound likei have no moral obligation outside of my responsibilities to the law. I don't report thresher catches any more because I feel it contributes to their over targeting.

http://www.badinfluencetattoo.com/gallery.php?artist=21
William Novotny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 09:52 AM   #48
bluesquids

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakDout View Post
thats correct, while diving :tickle stick and bare hands.
Actually, the regs state..no hooked devices, so no tickle sticks. You're usually fine with a speargun as long as there are no holes in your lobster. Though depending on the type of tip on your gun an argument can be made that a flopper tip is a hooked device, though never heard anyone being called out on it.

As for the pic with the abalone, the guy runs Clout surf shop in Malibu and makes these stupid staged videos to promote his shop. Pretty sure he bought the abs at an Asian market because he didn't pop them off that SoCal pier in 6 ft of water as the video would have you believe.
Old 05-09-2014, 10:23 AM   #49
Grunt31

As everyone else says LEGAL IS LEGAL. But how many guys out in La Jolla have gone out on countless trips for a YT or WSB and come ashore with a sunburn and a "RELAXING" trip and "ENJOYED" the scenery?...tons of people. Who knows maybe that's his first thresher he has ever pulled in and he wanted to try it. I doubt many if any know that guys back story. The ocean is not always a Red Lobster for EVERYONE. You can't just drop a bait down and be like YUP! I want the 70# YT! You get what you get and you don't throw a fit...it comes down to the individual's rules of thumb, or realization of this is my first legal hook up in 5 years on the hunt.. I want the taste! Now I can understand some could look down upon the individual if he was a Thresher Slayer and had smaller models mounted on his walls, a thresher skin wallet-belt-hat-or boots. But a post on craigslist doesn't show that. I don't even eat fish and have let everything go I have ever caught, but by all means if you take a legal trophy or trophies home to cook up, Im'a tell you that I hope it tastes great. Either way guys and gals.... Work harder so you can get on the water faster and fishing is your serenity, your peace. As long as you go by the book.... Don't let anyone ruin your time out
Grunt31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 10:50 AM   #50
chxh8me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannowar View Post
why
WHY?

This is why:

Socks with sandals? He should be ashamed?
chxh8me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 10:55 AM   #51
PapaDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus kid View Post
I thought it was because the guy wears socks with his sandals.
Hey! I wear socks with my sandals, is he mad at me?

<< I also seem to have kept a Thresher... ummmm, sorry?
Old 05-09-2014, 10:57 AM   #52
WildernessWanker
WildernessWanker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesquids View Post
Actually, the regs state..no hooked devices, so no tickle sticks. You're usually fine with a speargun as long as there are no holes in your lobster. Though depending on the type of tip on your gun an argument can be made that a flopper tip is a hooked device, though never heard anyone being called out on it.

As for the pic with the abalone, the guy runs Clout surf shop in Malibu and makes these stupid staged videos to promote his shop. Pretty sure he bought the abs at an Asian market because he didn't pop them off that SoCal pier in 6 ft of water as the video would have you believe.
I noticed that was the Clout yahoo also and chocked it up there with some of the other bonehead stunts he's pulled in the past. Does everyone recall the video of the wanker in the zodiac showing off the 4 or 5 WSB he caught?! That was his doing.

Sent from my SPH-L520 using Tapatalk
WildernessWanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 12:05 PM   #53
wiredantz

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildernessWanker View Post
I noticed that was the Clout yahoo also and chocked it up there with some of the other bonehead stunts he's pulled in the past. Does everyone recall the video of the wanker in the zodiac showing off the 4 or 5 WSB he caught?! That was his doing.

Sent from my SPH-L520 using Tapatalk
Found it!

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 05-09-2014, 01:32 PM   #54
StinkyMatt

Just to clear up my position:

If it is legal...it is up to the individual to establish his moral/ ethical guideline that may be above the minimum of the law.

Many/ most of us have many "higher rules" that we establish for ourselves.

Telling others that their legal activity that does not meet my "higher" standard is where I differ with Kareem. If you use that logic, Who is to say that you doing fishing thats all C&R is not actually more cruel than keeping fish. Someone might say that a harvested fish feeds a family, man, etc.

A C&R fish just hurts innocent fish and possibly injures them to die later in the water.

Do you see the danger of making our moral values everyone else's?

Most (sadly not all) fishermen will exercise good judgement,,,,,cant get em all.
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 03:30 PM   #55
Pocoloco

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhyak View Post
Off all the stuff what you guys think of this... LOL good catch right I mean a couple shells and a lobster, day cant be beat.

Nice abs m
Pocoloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 08:53 PM   #56
bubblehide

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhyak View Post
YEah not only that but this guy has abalone and a lobster in the same shot.

Did I miss something here on where we can dive for abs?

In southern Ca, Abs are a no no. Otherwise, the last time I checked, it depended on where you were, with a limit of 2 per person, and a yearly bag limit. However, I have not checked the regs on Abs, in over 2 years, and for Abs, they seem to change on a fairly regular basis, usually becomming more and more restrictive.

You can freedive for Abs, but no scuba, not in Ca anyway.
bubblehide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 07:03 AM   #57
Casey

He's selling a $200 yak for $1000 too.
Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 10:26 AM   #58
DanaPT

Quote:

I love baby cow!

and have heard that baby seal meat is good eats too!

DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 10:44 AM   #59
kareem korn

Quote:
Originally Posted by StinkyMatt View Post

Telling others that their legal activity that does not meet my "higher" standard is where I differ with Kareem. If you use that logic, Who is to say that you doing fishing thats all C&R is not actually more cruel than keeping fish. Someone might say that a harvested fish feeds a family, man, etc.

A C&R fish just hurts innocent fish and possibly injures them to die later in the water.
Really?
You really think that's what this is about?
Pull your head out.

How bout this. Go catch one of those pups off a party boat. Tell the deckhand it's legal and you want it.
Not going to happen on any boat I've ever been on in 45 years. And if by chance a green pinhead did
Stab it/hand line whatever onto the boat every "fishermen" on the boat will give them shit.

Why do you think that is?
Because there's more to being a fishermen/women than killing something just because "it's legal".
It's your responsibility as a person who respects our fishery to point out whats right/wrong. Why? Because you have a direct interest. It effects you, your kids, your grandkids....

I don't see it as being "higher" than anyone. I see it as an opportunity to educate the new comers to the sport.

Some just will not get it.

Hay new commers to So Cal Sportfishing:
The season is around the corner.
Go out and fill your milk crates with 5-10lb t sharks. "It's legal". Make sure you get lot's of pics too so you can show everyone at the office how dangerous kayak fishing is.

Who's anyone to impose their "higher standards" on you.

I'm done
kareem korn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 11:07 AM   #60
rossman
Marginally Irrelevant

Quote:
Really?
You really think that's what this is about?
Pull your head out.

How bout this. Go catch one of those pups off a party boat. Tell the deckhand it's legal and you want it.
Not going to happen on any boat I've ever been on in 45 years. And if by chance a green pinhead did
Stab it/hand line whatever onto the boat every "fishermen" on the boat will give them shit.

Why do you think that is?
Because there's more to being a fishermen/women than killing something just because "it's legal".
It's your responsibility as a person who respects our fishery to point out whats right/wrong. Why? Because you have a direct interest. It effects you, your kids, your grandkids....

I don't see it as being "higher" than anyone. I see it as an opportunity to educate the new comers to the sport.

Some just will not get it.

Hay new commers to So Cal Sportfishing:
The season is around the corner.
Go out and fill your milk crates with 5-10lb t sharks. "It's legal". Make sure you get lot's of pics too so you can show everyone at the office how dangerous kayak fishing is.

Who's anyone to impose their "higher standards" on you.

I'm done
Like!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
"When beholding the tranquil beauty and brilliancy of the ocean’s skin, one forgets the tiger heart that pants beneath it; and would not willingly remember that this velvet paw but conceals a remorseless fang. "
— Herman Melville

Y'all come see me now, hear!
rossman is offline   Reply With Quote