Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-21-2010, 07:45 AM   #41
mo2vation

Quote:
Originally Posted by kareem korn View Post
Have you contacted a spero or diver to see if at least your kayak (and possibly some gear) can be recovered?
I you have numbers (as if... like you're gonna write this down as you're bailing out) - If you can get me in the general area or someone with a FF can get me there, and its shallower than about 140 feet, I can surely dive onto the new reef, grab and send up on a lift bag whatever I can.

-Ken
Old 04-21-2010, 08:08 AM   #42
Ed
Fringe Head

Low cost solution:

Old 04-21-2010, 08:11 AM   #43
nunyabizness1
Maggie

Thanks for the reminder that we all need from time to time. I usually go to LJ alone and can use all the tips I can get. I do tie my water pump to my yak as it does slide freely inside my x-factorvyak from front to back if you don't.

Glad to hear you made it back safely and thanks for sharing your story for the good of all.
nunyabizness1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 09:01 AM   #44
bluesquids

More thoughts on this..
Sounds like you weren't in any major danger other than hypothermia and getting run over by a boat. A whistle can signal someone who's fishing nearby but won't be heard over the sound of a motor coming at you. I have SOLAS reflective tape on the back of my paddle blades and have been spoted 1.5 miles away. Expensive, but found it on ebay cheap, been on my blades with little to no wear 6-7years now.
If you're in the water and a boat is heading towards you and your in a PFD, you're only gonna have a few seconds to get it off and dive down.
I've heard it happen to a scuba guy who couldn't get his inflated BC off in time.
Old 04-21-2010, 09:03 AM   #45
Rob929

WOW

ED- How are those pad eyes attached inside your hull? I need to do that to keep things in place.

TO OP: First off- very glad you are safe (and that you still managed to get some fishin in after- crazy!)

This is a great reminder for those of us (myself included) to make sure safety is #1. It hasn't been my priority in recent outings.

I used to bring a little pump out with me until I lost it. They are only $6 at harbor freight.. Time to go shopping
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=66418

Thanks for posting
Rob929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 09:18 AM   #46
old_rookie

Wow - that is an epic story. Glad you shared your experience to show the importance of being prepared.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mo2vation View Post
Good thinking taking the paddle as a signal device. Makes me think about how invisible my black paddle would be.

-Ken
I just read that putting reflective tape on the back of the paddles helps.
old_rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 09:23 AM   #47
Abking
Junior

I have a couple dozen pool noodles in my X-Factor. It won't sink.

Glad you made it.
Abking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 09:36 AM   #48
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mo2vation View Post
I you have numbers (as if... like you're gonna write this down as you're bailing out) - If you can get me in the general area or someone with a FF can get me there, and its shallower than about 140 feet, I can surely dive onto the new reef, grab and send up on a lift bag whatever I can.

-Ken
I was gonna say, I'd be willing to help look up to 100ft. I am sure you are a competent SCUBA diver, but be careful not getting NARC'd down there... Either way, I think it might be a HEAVY load trying to pull a kayak up full of water, from a boat, or otherwise.
Holy Mackerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 09:38 AM   #49
Billy V

Go Play a Lottery Ticket Today - you might still have some of that lucky Karma attached to You.

I'm glad to hear you survived the ordeal and would like to offer a suggestion to our kayak fishing community. Your calm head played an important part in your survival.

- As a former search and rescue firefighter, and motorcycle instructor I have survival mindset and carry this along to my kayak fishing, and many other things in my life.

On the bikes I used to teach students to Dress For the Crash.
This also applies to kayak fishing.
You have to assume you will be quickly parting from your vessel and in a fight for your life - on your own - in open water.

There are several things I don't leave home without:
PFD with Attached Water Whistle, Tethered Floating Icom VHF, Cell Phone in a small dry bag with SD Lifeguard Number on Speed Dial, Attached Knife, Water Proof Laser Flashlight (Its very bright even in daylight)
-A fresh charge on all your batteries.
-------------------------------------------

Its no joke out there, look out for your fellow kayak fisherman. By this time you should have a trained eye to spot the signs of a distressed kayak fisherman.
ie. Paddle waving in the air, whistle blowing, unusual noise (its usually quiet as a church out there), a person signaling with a flashlight.
-------------------------------------------

I caught one of my best fishing buddies while kayak fishing off La Jolla a few years ago using the perception I described above.

-He is Still the largest catch I have landed there to this day.
A 220 lb. Pilipino.
Billy V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 10:19 AM   #50
walrus

Wow, thanks for sharing. I've learned from this and I'm sure others will too.
walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 10:22 AM   #51
sandydiego
Rum Pirate

I'm thinking about stuffing some empty 2 liter soda bottles in the empty areas of the yak.
sandydiego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 10:27 AM   #52
blitzburgh

Holy crap! Glad you made it!
blitzburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 10:53 AM   #53
mo2vation

Thanks buddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Mackerel View Post
I was gonna say, I'd be willing to help look up to 100ft. I am sure you are a competent SCUBA diver, but be careful not getting NARC'd down there... Either way, I think it might be a HEAVY load trying to pull a kayak up full of water, from a boat, or otherwise.
I blend my own gas, and would bring very large lift bags specifically designed for the task, along with surface support and a like-minded buddy.

Some things you don't cowboy up, and one of them are recovery dives in water like this.

Thanks for looking out, but 'sall good.

Offer stills stands. I'm in SD 5/1 through 5/3 for some wreck diving (Hogan, Yukon, P38, etc.) so I'll have everything I need if you get me numbahs.

-Ken
Old 04-21-2010, 11:07 AM   #54
miguelitro
Team Bad Habits

Sorry this had to happen to you to make many of us start to think about this stuff more seriously.
-I am definitely getting a whistle to carry.
-I like the reflective tape on the paddle idea as well, gonna look into that.
-I am going to at least put a deck plate on my yak and carry a hand bilge pump.
-I am going to actually fix the leak in my stern this year

A couple questions-

Do the pool noodles really work in side the yak?
I have heard that deck bots can be used as a floatation device in a pinch. could you do the same waders?

Mike
miguelitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 12:22 PM   #55
dgax65
Guerro Grande

Quote:
Originally Posted by miguelitro View Post
A couple questions-

Do the pool noodles really work in side the yak?
I have heard that deck bots can be used as a floatation device in a pinch. could you do the same waders?

Mike
A couple of guys on the Australian Kayak Fishing Forum did some tests on swamped kayaks to see how effective pool noodles are. See the thread for the full info. http://www.akff.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=5953

Basically, 6-8 pool noodles will keep a kayak from sinking completely, but it will not be stable enough to support you. Somebody else did some tests and found that you almost have to fill the hull with noodles to displace enough water to make the yak stable enough to paddle. The take-away is that the pool noodles will keep the yak near/on the surface so you can recover your gear, but you are still going for a swim.
Old 04-21-2010, 12:42 PM   #56
WahooUSMA

Pool noodles don't create lift or buoyancy inside the hull. They just take up space. Think of it like tossing life vests under the bow or under the seat of your boat. It ain't gonna help. Now glue or stick the noodles to the bottom of the yak on the outside of the hull, now you have lift and buoyancy. Just my two cents, but then I am LA Unified educated, so I could be way off base.fficeffice" />>>

WahooUSMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 01:02 PM   #57
Jimmyz123

Glad you're safe and sound. Last year before I bought my Yak I was invited out on some friends boats, 3 different boats. All 3 boats took on water and the owners just assumed that everything was O.K. and never bothered to test their pumps prior to heading out. It was then I started packing a pump with me in the event that happens again, at least I know I have a pump that works. No boats ever sunk, but it was not fun taking on water like that. Talk about kicking it into high gear and running back to the launch.

It takes 10 minutes to do a quick safety check on you boat or yak, and it's worth every minute. Glad you're O.K.
Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 01:27 PM   #58
sandydiego
Rum Pirate

Looks like a sump pump in the hull may be the only way to save your butt if the pool noodles don't amount to cr@p.
sandydiego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 01:41 PM   #59
bluesquids

Just like most any other boat that fills with water, it's going to turtle and be non-functional. The question is will it sink like a rock or float and be at least a little positive.
Old 04-21-2010, 02:05 PM   #60
Abking
Junior

I say the pool noodles are NOT utterly useless.

When a shark bites your boat and water cannot be prevented from filling your hull you will be glad to have the noodles keep the boat from sinking.

I'm not looking for paddling performance when a shark is circling - I just want to be able to stay on my boat.

Time for my own experiment...

I'll have it on youtube.
Abking is offline   Reply With Quote