Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2016, 08:19 AM   #1
Fomen

Rudder upgrade to Hobie PA

Have any of you guys that own Pro Anglers upgraded your rudder from the stock one to the larger sailing one? I noticed fishing Saturday in the bay that I had difficulty steering in certain directions. Granted I was trying to face a headwind and running perpendicular to a strong tide. I understand that I may have difficulty going exactly where I want to go in a situation like that. I'm just curious if any of you guys that have done the upgrade notice a difference? I also checked all the cabling on my rudder system to make sure everything was tight and in good working order. It looked great.

Thanks in advance for the feedback......
Fomen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 08:28 AM   #2
Fomen

Correction

Upon further investigation, I'm thinking the upgrade can only be done on the Outback, not the Pro Angler. Let me know if I'm wrong.
Old 08-22-2016, 09:57 AM   #3
RedSledTeam
Daddeo

If your PA is 2013 or older, there is a large rudder upgrade.
RedSledTeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 01:03 PM   #4
Fomen

Not sure

I bought it used in 2015, so I'm not sure what year it is. Is there a distinguishing feature between the 2012 and the 2013 model that would help determine? I'm thinking it's a 2012, so the upgrade would be null and void.
Old 08-22-2016, 01:13 PM   #5
Raskal311

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fomen View Post
I bought it used in 2015, so I'm not sure what year it is. Is there a distinguishing feature between the 2012 and the 2013 model that would help determine? I'm thinking it's a 2012, so the upgrade would be null and void.
The last few digits of the serious number is the year and yes i did upgrade my 2013 and it was a worthwhile upgrade. The only down side is it does stick out more so if you are lifting it on to it stern at a certain angle it can scrape the ground.

Have you tried tentioning the rudder line? that does help also.
Old 08-22-2016, 01:22 PM   #6
paddle man

I HAVE A 2016 PA12 IT SURE SEEMS SLOW TO REACT TO TURNING IS THIS NORMAL ANY ONE ?
paddle man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 01:23 PM   #7
Fomen

Correction

I just watched a video on the new (new at the time) 2013 Hobie Pro Angler. Looks like the dual rudder controls, storage management system, and upgraded vantage seat are indicators of the new model. I have all of those, thus I must have (at least) a 2013 model. I will look into getting the larger rudder. Thanks.
Old 08-22-2016, 01:28 PM   #8
Fomen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raskal311 View Post
The last few digits of the serious number is the year and yes i did upgrade my 2013 and it was a worthwhile upgrade. The only down side is it does stick out more so if you are lifting it on to it stern at a certain angle it can scrape the ground.

Have you tried tentioning the rudder line? that does help also.
Rudder line is tight as a banjo string my friend. I looked into that yesterday. I'm thinking that the process of steering into two opposing forces (wind and tidal flow) impaired the efficiency of the rudder. It's not a huge deal. I was able to gradually get the kayak to turn. It just took a bit more paddling than it does during a slack tide with less wind. The kayak turned on a DIME when I was going with the tide and wind. I was just curious if the larger rudder would be more efficient in a situation like this? If the guys that have upgraded don't see much of a difference, I'll refrain from the upgrade and save the money for something else.
Old 08-22-2016, 01:44 PM   #9
YakDout
Brandon

The larger rudder and turbo fins are the first thing I do to any hobie I buy. Its worth it my friend.
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 01:52 PM   #10
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

I have a 2016 PA14 and was told it already came with an upgraded rudder so no need to change it, not sure how many years back this goes. The wind is always an issue with any kayak. Heavy winds make it difficult to steer, more speed across the rudder works to give you back control so just pedal faster, which works for me these last few outings I've had in the wind. If you have a newer PA with the skeg, pulling it up helps a lot for maneuverability and quicker reaction. Google "kayak weathercock" for related topics.
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 06:40 AM   #11
Fomen

SOLD!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakDout View Post
The larger rudder and turbo fins are the first thing I do to any hobie I buy. Its worth it my friend.
You sold me on the upgrade my brother! Did you also upgrade the steering drum from the 3 5/8" to the larger 4 5/8" drum? I already have the upgraded fins (ST Turbo Fins). They made a big difference.

On another note (speaking of fins), have you guys seen the new Mirage Drive 180 yet? It's coming out in 2017. You can flip the fins around 180 degrees and paddle backwards without taking them out of the water. Pretty cool concept. They also changed the shape of the fins to accommodate this feature. Watch the video online.
Old 08-23-2016, 06:47 AM   #12
YakDout
Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fomen View Post
You sold me on the upgrade my brother! Did you also upgrade the steering drum from the 3 5/8" to the larger 4 5/8" drum? I already have the upgraded fins (ST Turbo Fins). They made a big difference.

On another note (speaking of fins), have you guys seen the new Mirage Drive 180 yet? It's coming out in 2017. You can flip the fins around 180 degrees and paddle backwards without taking them out of the water. Pretty cool concept. They also changed the shape of the fins to accommodate this feature. Watch the video online.

When I had my pro angler pre-2016 I upgraded the parts to the glide technology parts. Worth it in my book. Used needle bearings where there were bushings before. Any hobie 2016 and later should have the GTT drive from the factory. Might even be 2015 not sure. If I remember the parts were under $150 for the glide technology upgrade. Call up andy at OEX and he can set you up. I installed the parts myself it was pretty simple. Lipripper made a good install tutorial here you should be able to find using the search. As far as the reverse drive, yes the idea is that you can leave the drive in, pull on a tabbed cable next to the pedals, and it flips the fins for reverse.
Old 08-23-2016, 06:48 AM   #13
YakDout
Brandon

Here is the install tutorial which worked to a TEE. Thank you lipripper.

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...ide+technology