Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-28-2006, 02:12 PM   #1
Iceman
Administrator

Reviving *TIP OF THE WEEK*

I made a cheapwad's kayak cart during lunch. Not having a cart is keeping me from fishing some other spots. I know there are a few other plans out there to make your own cart. Here is my alternative.

I made mine for less than $20, but I had a few of the things you will need, like the aluminum tubing that slips over the pvc to add strength.

You can get the pneumatic tires at Harbor Freight. There is always one or the other on sale there for $5. Home Depot had the 36 inch threaded bar, nuts, washers, (I used 3/8 inch, but you could use 7/16) 1/2 inch pvc, 2 each: 1/2 inch pvc Ts with one threaded end, 1/2 inch threaded caps, eye bolts and some thin wall 1 inch aluminum or 1 inch conduit. A pool noodle from Wal Mart was $1.50. I just cut everything to size, drilled a hole in the caps for the eyebolts and put it together. took about a 1/2 hour. I left mine the full 36 inches wide, but it could be as narrow as you need. bungee cords or a strap to hold it in place and you are ready for some sweet jumps.

I believe that "Tip of the Week" faded away as Arne had nominated Pat to be up next. At the time Pat was AWOL, so BIG PAT you are up. I was also thinking that as an alternative to "giving" a tip we could also just open up a topic of discussion. something like tides and current or reading birds etc.......So the person who is up decides whether to share whatever or open up a topic of discussion and names their successor.........Capisce?
Old 03-28-2006, 02:38 PM   #2
Grego

cool...that's the low-rider version
Grego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 04:19 PM   #3
Dennis

Yeah, I always wondered about what happened to the tip of the week... Nice to have it back.
-D
Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 06:26 PM   #4
katchfish
Paddle for Mahi

Andy, nice Froman dolly!

¡LARGO VIVE EL DESCARGA!

Ken

PS Hopefully Pat's tip o' the week will not be on the subject of hornswoggling the foolhardy here with a fanciful story of yellowtail slaying wonderment!! :roll:

PSS I think I saw Froman on TV at Chicano Park!
katchfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 08:11 PM   #5
rippin lips

Send a message via AIM to rippin lips
yeah, nice cart...looks like a drag car.
rippin lips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 07:35 AM   #6
Gettinuglysson
Newb

have you had it on sand yet? i'm just wondering how well those bungie chords will hold the yak to the car if the wheels start digging into the sand a little.

it looks sweet though. and for less than $20 you can't go wrong. i wish i had one this past saturday.
Old 03-29-2006, 12:35 PM   #7
Iceman
Administrator

I wondered how the bungees would work in the sand, only pushed and pulled it around the parking lot. If they don't work well, I have racheting tiedowns to hold it. I lopped 5 inches off the width today. Figured, why have it bigger than it needs to be.
Old 03-29-2006, 12:56 PM   #8
drmboy

i need to get a cart and this seems like a nice alternative to the 100 dollar cart at the place in sunset
drmboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 01:53 PM   #9
Gettinuglysson
Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman
If they don't work well, I have racheting tiedowns to hold it. I lopped 5 inches off the width today.
that might be the way to go for sand. and i use those kind of tie downs for keeping my yak on top of my car anyway, so that will work out well.

thanks for making this the topic of the week by the way. i really wish i had a cart this past saturday.