Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-04-2010, 03:12 PM   #1
mo2vation

Everyone OK? That was some shaker.

Been lurking for a long time. Just joined.

Big shaker in LA - you guys in LJ and SD must have really been smacked.

Mag. 6.9 quake hits Mexicali, shakes SoCal

Sunday, April 04, 2010

LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- A Magnitude 6.9 earthquake centered near the border city of Mexicali struck Sunday afternoon and rocked all of Southern California and parts of Arizona.
High rise buildings in Los Angeles and San Diego rocked back and forth when the quake hit.
Preliminary USGS information indicated the epicenter was 19 miles southeast of Mexicali, at an area that has been rocked with magnitude 3.0 quakes all week.
Los Angeles City Fire Department officials said the department is on earthquake status and some stalled elevators in the city have been reported.

Everyone OK?

-K
mo2vation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 03:34 PM   #2
Aquahunter
Crazy Deaf Cuban Redneck

I'm fine, it was my very first earthquake. Scared the hell outta of me, saw tv fell and I grabbed my son and ran out the door. We're doing fine now, tv isn't
Aquahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 03:59 PM   #3
mo2vation

Oh man....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquahunter View Post
I'm fine, it was my very first earthquake. Scared the hell outta of me, saw tv fell and I grabbed my son and ran out the door. We're doing fine now, tv isn't
The lamps were swinging here - really rolling for a long time. No damage.

I hate these things. Been in LA my whole life and you never get used to them.

Glad you and your boy are OK.

-K
mo2vation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 04:17 PM   #4
Nic D

fine here... news said 7.2
Nic D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 04:43 PM   #5
fishes

Unhappy

I just got back from Bajamar, Mexico around noon. I've still got two friends down there in loose built houses, hope there doing alright.
Old 04-04-2010, 05:53 PM   #6
old_rookie

I was in the MB area at the time - in a house - never felt an earthquake like this before. And I knew it was a big one - grabbed my daughter and ran out of the house. The pool in the back was sloshing around a lot - was thinking of running back in to get the camera, but my daughter didn't want me to leave her - I don't blame her. Usually the quakes are a rumbling shaking, but this was weird to feel the whole earth and everything around us moving like that. My dad thought it was a 4 or 4.3, I knew it was bigger. Was anyone out on the water at 3:40pm?? Notice anything? I figure you would not.
old_rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 06:34 PM   #7
sterling

I was at dog beach in Coronado. The sand was vibrating a little under foot. Very mild movement kind of neat/strange being on the beach during an earthquake. I supposed if the sand opened up in a fischer it wouldn't be so mild of an experience.
sterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 09:16 PM   #8
teto116

rock and rolling!

up here in LA it felt loooong, and it was a weird kinda quake. I started feeling nausea when i realized it wasnt me but that everYthing was swinging back and forth. Kinda like being on a boat.
teto116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 11:40 PM   #9
bigbarrels

I was working in the ER and just stood there and watched a a couple bags of normal saline bouncing on the IV pole of one of our critical patients. I too felt nauseated and was amazed on how long it lasted and glad our hospital didn't pancake. Hope everyone made out ok
bigbarrels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 06:06 AM   #10
umtduckhead

i was sitting in the middle of Coronado looking at this tundra that had a sweet kayak on top... i noticed it was looking wierd it seemed like there was a massive dog in the back of his truck running around.. then i finally came too and realized when i looked to the right on me the buger lounge resturant, the lights were slamming the walls.. it was longest earth quake ever. i was in greece back in 2002, 12 stories up in a hotel room and an earth quake lit us up.. glad everyone is ok.. another 5.0 just hit coronado at 6:33 am... check this link..

http://quake.usgs.gov/recenteqs/
umtduckhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 09:12 AM   #11
Jimmyz123

We're doing O.K., my 3 year old is not loving these things, poor little guy his heart was pounding. He and I huddled together in a doorway to ride out the quake. Any quake after that he was clinging to myself or my wife. For his sake I hope this all pans out soon.
Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 10:26 PM   #12
greenscales
greenscales

I was at the launch at the time

I went to LJ for a late Easter WSB attempt. I was standing on my rear tire undoing the ties to my yak on the top of the 4Runner when I thought a huge gust was hitting the yak. I jumped down and saw the truck suspension bouncing and started to look for some kids screwing around on the other side. Then I noticed one of the Yak vendors almost lose a few boats stacked on top of his truck as we both realized what was going on. The sand definitely amplified the S-Waves of the quake. Not as bad or as long as Northridge though, but I was 50 miles away then, not 110 like yesterday.

As for the fishing, I took two to the chest on the way out w/o a dry top on - I will blame it on a Tsunami rather than me not wanting to put the top on until later. Got p/u three times on macks, all three raked pretty good, but they were nose hooked. By the teeth marks, two were probably from the right model (in the right area and few good marks) and the third was late just outside the preserve and was likely a but. So the conclusion, earthquakes didn't bother the fish and I still suck at capitalizing the fish I work hard to find into ones I hook.
greenscales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 01:32 PM   #13
bluesquids

I was in the Loma Prieta '89 6.9 Quake. For whatever reasons the quake the other day seemed to me more like the 4.5 aftershock that was after the Loma Prieta.
I was in a 3 story victorian next to Golden Gate Park that had actually survived the 1906 Quake. What it felt like was like this.... take your head and shake it around like a bobble head. Then have all the plaster fall off the ceiling and walls, throw all the dishes and pantry stuff on the floor, launch your water heater, TV and Fish Tank water across their rooms and have your roomate from Germany run around topless and crying like shes going to die.
After the 3rd aftershock we went up to Yosemite for a week to calm the nerves, but I still slept with the lites on and clothes/shoes nearby for about a month. I hate those damn things.
Hey, I got a hall pass for the next 3 days...see you out there...Mango X-Factor...bluesquids pete
Old 04-08-2010, 01:43 PM   #14
fishes

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesquids View Post
I was in the Loma Prieta '89 6.9 Quake. For whatever reasons the quake the other day seemed to me more like the 4.5 aftershock that was after the Loma Prieta.
I was in a 3 story victorian next to Golden Gate Park that had actually survived the 1906 Quake. What it felt like was like this.... take your head and shake it around like a bobble head. Then have all the plaster fall off the ceiling and walls, throw all the dishes and pantry stuff on the floor, launch your water heater, TV and Fish Tank water across their rooms and have your roomate from Germany run around topless and crying like shes going to die.
After the 3rd aftershock we went up to Yosemite for a week to calm the nerves, but I still slept with the lites on and clothes/shoes nearby for about a month. I hate those damn things.
Hey, I got a hall pass for the next 3 days...see you out there...Mango X-Factor...bluesquids pete
The epicenter was hundreds of miles away so, yeah, we would feel the ripple from that which may be measured at 4.x.