Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-28-2010, 10:17 PM   #1
steveooo

Big Sur- The week LJ went Nuts

First- Big Congrats to all who got fish last wk. It looks like there were lots of good quality fish caught. Consider this a blanket congrats to all the guys that brought in SLUGS!
While you guys were putzing around playing C&R and kill with toad YT and WSB, I was spending a week camping in a tent with a one-year old.
We decided to do a full week camping in Pfeiffer Big Sur State Park. Went up there with my wife and daughter, as well as my Bro-in Law and his family. I couldn’t have asked for better company.

Here’s some pics, I’ll narrarate a little along the way.

The Park

The Food

>

The Fire

Day 3 I got the pass to take the yak out. Limekiln was closed, so I went to my altrenate launch site at Mill Creek.

I had never launched there, but I’m sure I will again. Big sur is definitely a place where a good Kayak Buddy would come in handy. 1) Because I had to carry my yak down a cliff, and over 75 yds of slippery jagged rocks to get to a safe launch.

2) You are ALONE out there. Pretty spooky being in unfamiliar water, where GW’s are known to inhabit, it’s foggy, and no-one is within 50 miles to return your “Radio Check, Big Sur…” I stayed pretty close to the kelp in about 40ft for a fish literally almost on every drop. I got a quick 8 taco sized ones and then went exploring a little for stones to try and get some good reds or lings. I went out to look for some good marks for about 20 min, but decided that I’d go back to put a quick limit in the yak so I could catch a good nap. I used big white scampi’s on a 1oz leadhead for all fish. I couldn’t ask for a prettier place to fish than where I was, looking at the kelp beds, and where the Giant Redwoods meet the ocean.

This is directly in front of the Mill Crk Launch

A little South

Unfortunately I’m a bonehead and forgot the camera in the truck, so here is the only pic of the fish I took. Some good bruisers in the mix..

I also took this one later that night. Don’t panic, It’s organic.

The next day we drove to the Monterey Bay Aquarium to get a taste of civilization. Cool place if you've never been there, but be prepared to have anti-fishing rhetoric spewed at you in every possible way.

My favorite place was the giant kelp bed tank. I could watch this for hours.

They also had the “Outer Bay” tank with HUGE yellowfin, bluefin, dodo’s, and yt in the tank. Cool to watch as well.

I also took a pic of this guy, because I had eaten his brother the day before without getting a decent pic.

On the way back to camp

We tubed the Big Sur River several times. Very relaxing. We also killed time by being stupid and jumping off rocks into shallow water.

Saw a wild turkey outside out tent one morning

Drank plenty of this…

Made crazy shapes with slow shutter and flashlights...

Next day we hiked as a family to Pfeiffer Falls. Cool Hike, refresing waterfall at the end to cool you down, unfortunately my daughter fell asleep at the beginning and missed most of it.

Drove to a bluff that night hoping for a nice sunset. Mother nature didn’t disappoint.

Took our time driving home, stopping at lots of bluffs to take pics

Found a decently big sand crab at a random beach.

Stopped in Cayucos for some insane smoked albacore tacos’s.

I wish I could have fished the yak a few more times while I was there, I will next time. Next time I’ll also bring my camera on the yak for decent fishing pics. It seriously seems like it could be insane fishing up there. I got my PB octopus, as well as my PB Cabezon, which was trumped by another cab on the very next drop.

steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote