Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 07-10-2012, 05:10 PM   #1
Mongo Johnson

Noob asks: Is Pat Holmes "Iron" rig story a good way to 'get started'?

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/index.php?page=iron

I lurked a bit here trying to learn about yaks prior to purchasing one (Revo 13). I've been gettin' wet and loving it.

Now, I'm geting seduced by the "community" and fishin'. And, I'm a total fishing rookie other than loving walking trout streams away from the crowd.

As my first toe in the water on fishing . . .

I came across Pat Holmes "iron" story as I tried to find an "easy" way to get started and yet NOT rig up my boat too extemely. Not to say Pat's technique info is "easy." Sounds like there's learning curve here. (Not even thinkin' yet of GPS, depthfinder etc.)

But, in the context of "getting started" and traveling light, is it right to see going with iron as a way to go. Iron was enticing as I won't have to get all baited up.

The author is a seasoned fisherman, is the rig overkill for a noob's first rig? I've no experience of under or overkill here.

Diawa Sealine-X XHV50 reel and blue/white Salas 6x Jr and a 6’ 40-60# rated rod with 40# mono

I guess I'm just looking for a recipe to get me on the water with a rig, a gaff so I can paddle some miles and gradually begin to figure all this stuff out. (Maybe I won't need a gaff if I'm only bringin' in minnows. )

In support of the LB area part of this community, is there a shop that knows the sport and is competitively priced on rigs that might help me get going?
Old 07-10-2012, 05:53 PM   #2
PescadorPete

Iron is a somewhat specialized technique. I'd learn how to live bait fish first.

Buy some of these:

Catch some of these:

Put them in here:

When your bucket is full, you can flyline a bait and catch big game.

The Daiwa 40 is a good general reel for bait and iron. I think the 50 is too wide.
PescadorPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 06:01 PM   #3
dc1983

I have a bucket like the one above that I will give you.
dc1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 08:01 PM   #4
LexLutheran
Lurker

IRon is probably the most fun way to catch fish, and you don't need but two rods to fish all day, but I would become proficient with it before I considered leaving everything else at home. If you are new to fishing and want to keep it simple bring some bait as suggested, 1 rod for dropper loop, and one for fly lining. You'll be set. Then you just have to find the fish. The first thing you need to figure out is what species you are going to be fishing for. That will help you with bait, equipment and location selection.
LexLutheran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 08:01 PM   #5
taggermike

The out fit you describe sounds fine for yo-yo iron fishing. This time of year I go with the surface iron though. A yo-yo stick can double as a heavy bait rod too. Do some searches about both surface and yo-yo iron fishing. That will help. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 09:18 PM   #6
StinkyMatt

Where are you fishing?

If its LB then your outfit may be a little different than LJ.

Location, species will dictate gear. Bait will allow you to target pretty much any saltwater fish easily.

Have fun exploring.
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 10:09 PM   #7
Billy V

Pat's article is an excellent source of information.

So are the articles written by Andy, Adi, Brian, or Brent.
Old 07-11-2012, 04:02 AM   #8
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by StinkyMatt View Post
Where are you fishing?

If its LB then your outfit may be a little different than LJ.

Location, species will dictate gear. Bait will allow you to target pretty much any saltwater fish easily.

Have fun exploring.

Just don't fish in the areas that Matt mentions or he'll end up saying that if it wasn't for him you would have never caught that fish.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 08:16 AM   #9
steveooo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo Johnson View Post

In support of the LB area part of this community, is there a shop that knows the sport and is competitively priced on rigs that might help me get going?
Go here.

http://www.oexsunsetbeach.com/

While he doesn't sell anything in the way of rods and reels, it is a virtual playground of equipment for kayak fishermen. Andy (Iceman) also knows the sport better than just about anyone, and would be happy to chat about techniques and when to use certain rigs in certain situations. Plus, while chatting, you'll probably see a steady stream of hot chicks in Bikini's coming in and out of the shop to rent SUP's

In regard to your question, the yoyo is very effective when the fish are feeding deeper, and they want to eat the iron While its a fun way to fish, it is not too often that they are keyed in on this. If you are primarily fishing LB area, your chances will be very slim of hanging a game fish on the deep iron, unless you find a lost halibut or ling-cod.

If you are looking to save money, one or 2 rigs will be all you will need to simply get out on the water.

For 1 economical starter rig, I'd get a Sealine 30 or 40- you can typically find them on sale at Big 5 or other places for about $100. The reels are virtually bullet-proof for the abuse we give them on the kayak. If you have the extra coin, I'd load it to the top with 65 lb braid and buy a spool of 30 and 40 lb flouro.

For a rod, I'd look for something 6-7', rated 20-50 lb or 30-60 lb. Personally, I think the Ugly-stick Tigers are alot of bang for your buck. You can find them @ Walmart for about $60. Again, they are pretty bullet-proof and will give you years of hard use on the yak.

That rig, although not the perfect rig for all techniques, will work for most techniques (live bait, yo-yo, surface iron).

If you are fishing the LB area mostly, I'd also look at another lighter set-up for fishing halibut/bass, because they are both plentiful up in that area.

Good luck in whatever you choose
steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 09:58 AM   #10
Mongo Johnson

Noob says "Thanks" for all the info. 'Appreciated.

Getting on the water, away from work is, well, like totally bitchin'.

I'm looking forward to reading more here.