Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 10-05-2007, 09:57 PM   #1
Flatinfifth

Newport Harbor launch points

New poster on this site...........been lurking for a few weeks. My brother and I are absolute newbies to the sport; looks like a blast. We want to get our feet wet (pun intended) in Newport and we were wandering besides the well-known launch areas (bridge and upper bay), what other areas are accessible to relatively "easy" kayak launching.

Thanks.
Flatinfifth
Flatinfifth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 10:56 PM   #2
45king

nb launch

if you go to balboa island you can pretty much find a spot down any street. just go to the end of the street and it will lead you to a dock with a small sandy beach launch. Just dont make too much of a ruckus and you should be fine. Its all residentials.You can also go to the coast gaurd station. thats where most launch at.
45king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 08:44 AM   #3
landwhale

If you take Newport Blvd South from PCH it will turn into W Balboa Blvd. After you pass the 7-11 turn left on 18th st and you will come to a metered lot that is only 50 ft accross the sand to the water. Or my favorite is just south of there you turn left off Balboa Blvd on 15th St ( Paddle Power is on the corner ) unload at the beach access and park either on the residential st for free or there are meters on 15th. Hope this helps and get out there and enjoy.

landwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 06:56 PM   #4
Flatinfifth

Balboa launching

Thanks for the data guys. My brother and I launched on Saturday from the Paddle Power launch under the street bridge and MAN is that a little beach....not enough parking either. I'll look into the Coast Guard area and the island this week.

Once again....Thanks.
Flatinfifth
Old 10-07-2007, 09:16 PM   #5
Flatinfifth

coast guard station

How and where do you park at the coast guard area?? From aerial maps it doesn't look like there is any public parking.????

Thanks.
Flatinfifth
Old 10-08-2007, 06:10 AM   #6
45king

you can park along the street. Theres a long strip of street you can park on. I was told that there is a lot that parks about 9 or so cars in the lot to access the beach. Most like it there because theres alot of harbor patrol that drive in and out of there and they feel alot safer with their cars parked there.

Last edited by 45king; 10-08-2007 at 02:59 PM.
45king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 06:11 PM   #7
Brian Sanner

Coast Guard station does have roughly 9 or 10 spots that are for beach parking. Hours on the signs in front of each spot say beach hours from 6 a.m. to 4 p.m. I have had no problems so far getting in there at 5 a.m. The important thing is to be as quiet as possible with your unloading and conversation. There are dwellings less than 10 feet from the parking and all it takes in Newport is a phone call from the upper crust of Newport to put a stop to that. Wheels for your yak is advised for this location as it is about 100 yards of so to the water.
Brian Sanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 10:02 AM   #8
Flatinfifth

Parking

Thanks guys................100 yards!!?? Better get started on the wheels then............can't imagine dragging the old beast that far.

Thanks a bunch.
Flat...
Old 11-06-2007, 10:50 PM   #9
Hobie-Pedaller
Fish On !!!

i looked at this Newport Harbor place on a detailed map.

IT IS HUGE.... there is SOOOO MUCH water.

the huge Harbor, plus the big Bay up North of the Harbor, plus the ocean outside of the Harbor.

when u guys fish this area.....

do u stay inside the Harbor ?

or do you also fish up in the Bay ?

or do you also go outside the Harbor, to the open ocean ?

do all of these areas produce fish ?

just curious.

Kayak Fishing is a DRUG.... and I'm addicted !!
Hobie-Pedaller is offline   Reply With Quote