Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-2021, 02:03 PM   #1
Rocketfish

Hobie Outback

Admins, forgive me if this is in the wrong forum topic, but I'm seeking advice before I list.

I'm thinking of selling my yak and accessories. I haven't gone out in over a year, or consistently for over 2 years - I used to go out almost weekly. I live in Huntington Beach, and none of my local spots here have been producing for me, not even CNR. I am unable to go out to LJ, due to time constraints which is why I've limited my outings to what is around here.

That being said, I have a 2015 Outback in pretty good condition which is stored outside but always covered. It has normal scratches on the hull from sand, but that's about the only con. in addition I have the regular wheels, and the sand wheeleez - both go into the reinforced holes for transport. Finally, I have a fish finder installed on it, but it needs a new battery.

Firstly, do you think I should sell my setup given my reasons above? I figure when I have time in the future, IF, I want to do this again, I can visit Andy or find another offering here like I did the first time.

Secondly, is there even a demand for this old of a yak which DOES have the fancy seat, BTW. How much do you all think is reasonable for my setup? I'm not in a rush to sell, as I'm still contemplating it now.

I just feel bad keeping it to myself when someone is out there who would put it to really good use.

Thanks everyone! I love all you guys on here who constantly share great stories and offer unsolicited advice, mostly graciously
Rocketfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 02:12 PM   #2
Mahigeer

This post is so close to my situation, that I though I had posted.

Except I have not used my 2015 more than few times at Mako-Ville.

Would love to see some feed back.
Mahigeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 04:45 AM   #3
JohnMckroidJr

As a result of Covid, kayak sales have been pretty good. With an older model, the longer it sits the more outdated it becomes and the less it should be worth.
That said, the newer kayaks cost more, and the higher new kayak prices have pulled up the value of old used ones. If you ever decide to get back into the sport, you are going to want to enjoy the newest technology. Put it up for sale. Look on Facebook Market Place, Craigslist, Offerup and the Classifieds on here to help decide on a used price. Good luck with your decision.
JohnMckroidJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 09:17 AM   #4
Rocketfish

Thanks, JohnMckroidJr. Sound advice.
Old 06-08-2021, 09:28 AM   #5
Rocketfish

Wow, people are asking for higher prices for yaks even older than mine. You weren't kidding. These prices are very close to what I originally paid for mine. Of course, my situation will include almost everything you need to fish, minus a bait tank which I sold separately since I never needed it.
Old 06-08-2021, 04:06 PM   #6
Rocketfish

itemized list

This is what I plan on selling:

2015 Hobie Outback with stock mirage drive, paddle, seat (the nice one with lumbar support), and flag

Though I'd like to sell it all as one package, I MAY consider piecing these out because I know a lot of guys have plenty of gear, already:

Raymarine Dragonfly 4 fish finder, properly mounted on yak
Life Vest with CO2 cartridge
Standard Hobie plug in wheels
Hobie Trax 2 plug in wheels
Hobie dry bag
2 Rod holder extensions
Standard Horizon floating handheld radio

is $1900 for EVERYTHING reasonable?
Old 06-08-2021, 09:42 PM   #7
Hillbillymad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketfish View Post
This is what I plan on selling:

2015 Hobie Outback with stock mirage drive, paddle, seat (the nice one with lumbar support), and flag

Though I'd like to sell it all as one package, I MAY consider piecing these out because I know a lot of guys have plenty of gear, already:

Raymarine Dragonfly 4 fish finder, properly mounted on yak
Life Vest with CO2 cartridge
Standard Hobie plug in wheels
Hobie Trax 2 plug in wheels
Hobie dry bag
2 Rod holder extensions
Standard Horizon floating handheld radio

is $1900 for EVERYTHING reasonable?
I would honestly list it for more I would personally have paid 2300-2500 when I was in the market
Hillbillymad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 10:50 PM   #8
stevie951
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillbillymad View Post
I would honestly list it for more I would personally have paid 2300-2500 when I was in the market
Second this... Proper documentation like pictures of everything for offer, clean, in good working condition will fetch you top dollar... List high sell low

working recent model fish finder already mounted is the game changer for most.. Such an inconvenience to have it mounted if you do not know how to wire yourself, let alone feel uncomfortable drilling holes in a sound stable boat

~Malibu Stealth-14
~Malibu X-13
stevie951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 10:41 AM   #9
FISH11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillbillymad View Post
X3.... But 2 sets of wheels, Marine radio and Raymarine FF, really. I would start asking $2400. Just look at whats available, NOTHING. If they don't like it they can pass.
Old 06-10-2021, 06:40 AM   #10
Rocketfish

Wow you guys, thanks for the input. I didn't think of it that way. This is essentially a yak fishers starter kit. The only things missing are your fishing rods and bait, I suppose. Sounds good. I may go out one last time this weekend or next just to make sure I won't be super sad letting this go.
Old 06-18-2021, 05:59 PM   #11
gveng

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketfish View Post
Wow you guys, thanks for the input. I didn't think of it that way. This is essentially a yak fishers starter kit. The only things missing are your fishing rods and bait, I suppose. Sounds good. I may go out one last time this weekend or next just to make sure I won't be super sad letting this go.
I'm interested when you are ready to sell.

Send me a pm with your contact info.

Thanks!
gveng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 06:00 AM   #12
tunaseeker
TB Metal Art

Gonna post my 2016 PA soon...Just too heavy for me any more...
tunaseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 08:54 AM   #13
gveng

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunaseeker View Post
Gonna post my 2016 PA soon...Just too heavy for me any more...
Pm sent.
gveng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 07:01 PM   #14
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

I'm in a similar situation with my '16 PA14, haven't used it since covid hit when they first closed down the launch areas here in Dana. Amazing kayak for fishing. Thinking of selling it along with FF, livewell, wheels, and all sorts of stuff. Perhaps I'll get a new one in the future, not sure what it's worth, with or without all the extras.
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote