Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-2009, 09:19 AM   #1
bumblebeetuna
Junior

Noooob alert! who can talk about kayak fishing for hours? ive got time

Hello i have just gotten into kayak fishing and im hooked. no pun intended. I go out on my friends kayak that i can use whenever but its not good enough i want my own!! Im not looking to spend a lot of money just for the fact that i dont have it but i do have some necessities. Im 6' 5" 280 my center of balance is very high. i ride a malibu xl triple comfortably with a couple scary moments but im getting more comfortable each time out. But i see some of the yaks on here for sale and just wondering how much trouble im gonna have on a skinnier model like some hobies i see (not that i can afford it) but im just interested in all the information you guys are willing to lend. I dont mind paddling, as of right now I would prefer to paddle rather than pedal just because i love being able to travel over the kelp.

I target game fish mostly out of la jolla, been fishing there my whole life with an open ear every time i fish to learn it all, I thought all i needed to do was just get on a kayak with no engine noise and the yellows and wsb would just instinctively flock like the salmon of capistrano into my yak. Oh boy how I was wrong but im ready to put in the hours on the water to enjoy this to its fullest.

I have found this site extremely useful I constructed a bait tube from the information from here and macks lived the whole trip FIVE HOURS! only had three left but they took off with tons of energy!! Awesome guys!!!

Ive noticed the difference in the yakkers attitudes compared to the majority of other fishing. Seems like everyone likes to help everyone, I am starting to understand why. What better life is there than a life of a kayak fisherman?

thanks guys, good luck and tight lines.
josh
bumblebeetuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 09:46 AM   #2
Dan

salmon of capistrano. that's funny.

you're all stoked! go to OEX and demo a bunch of boats....you'll be glad you did. You might like the Malibu Stealth..bigger capacity with added stability without being too slow, look at the xfactor too. good luck.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 11:21 AM   #3
Gino

from 1 big guy to another, for your size. look into an Xfactor, or Prowler Big Game, Cobra Fish and Dives are about your only options.

for your first kayak, i'd go with a X-factor, they are definately the most stable kayak out. turnign them is a little difficult compared to the fish and dive and prowler big game.

Lots of X-factors for sale with some excellent deals right now! go grab one up!
Gino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 11:32 AM   #4
NY-2-SANO
Junior

I highly recommend the X-Factor. I'm 6'4" and was over 300 when I first bought it 2 years ago. Down to 275 and have gone out with 2 kids on the boat and is is still very stable. I was also looking at the Big Game and the F n D but I liked the set up better on the X-Factor. Plus I got a great deal at OEX in Pt. Loma.
Ken
NY-2-SANO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 11:59 AM   #5
bumblebeetuna
Junior

Awesome thanks a lot guys looks like im gonna be looking into the x-factor if anyone knows of anyone trying to get rid of one just pm me! Thanks again!
bumblebeetuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 12:03 PM   #6
JD

x-factor

I'd agree, the X-factor is a great big boy boat. There are downsides though, the X is the slowest boat on the water. I mean it's painfully slow and heavy but it is stable like no other!

You may want to try the Wilderness Systems "Ride". It's smaller, faster and very, very stable for a larger individual. I paddled both last Sunday and still prefer the X but if I was in the market for a new Yak I would seriously consider the Ride.

Both models are avaliable @ OEX Mission Beach...Go rent both from CJ. Try em out in the bay!
Old 07-17-2009, 01:21 PM   #7
bellcon

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...ead.php?t=5618

Look into this one...
and you maybe able to help save the fishing grounds you love so much
Welcome to the addiction!
bellcon is offline   Reply With Quote