Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-2010, 12:17 PM   #1
jbaker

Off shore booze ban

Does this mean I can get busted for having a beer while out fishing? That's the best part of my day. Late afternoon drifting the bay and enjoying a 22 of yellowtail.
jbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 01:23 PM   #2
JD

Booze Ban

Kayakers are not the target here! They are trying to put a stop to the Frat Boy's out on Mission bay getting wasted on Coors Light, you know the whole "floatopia" thing.

I personally prefer to enjoy my beer when I'm done with fishing and cleaning gear in my driveway. A nice puncuation to a great day out on the water but....any law or legislation wouldn't stop me from having a beverage out on the water. Just gotta be smart about it.
Old 07-27-2010, 02:20 PM   #3
jasonb

"The council voted unanimously Monday to extend the beach alcohol ban off the shoreline for bathers — almost everyone who is not in a kayak or boat — effectively ending the floating parties where mostly college-aged revelers drink in inner tubes or on other inflatable devices."

you're safe in a kayak
jasonb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 06:54 PM   #4
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

The booze ban is another example of a well intentioned initiative that has many unintended consequences. Those of us who have always behaved responsibly when paired with alcohol on the beach have been forced to give up a very enjoyable activity because a small minority has behaved irresponsibly. This is a trend in our society. A bad one.

On the other hand, if I owned a home on Sail Bay, I would be really pissed to have to live though all the crap that happens when tens of thousands of amped up 20 somethings get drunk and go nuts in the front yard. The City's short sighted response was to ban drinking on every piece of beach property in the county... forever. Of course, the kids, being innovative responded with the Floatopia. As a former lifeguard, I cringed when I learned about this. I am really surprised that no one died during any of these on-the water binge drinking fests.

The City was right to ban the Floatopias but was wrong to punish all the law abiding citizens along the way. Just one more personal freedom on a long list that has been eliminated during my lifetime. At least the powers that be were smart enough to recognize that a guy fishing on a kayak was not the same as some dude sucking down a couple six packs while floating on a rubber ducky.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 10:43 PM   #5
h2ofishfo

trust me when theres a will theres a way they will come up w/some copamamy way to step over new laws by building what some people say is not a kayak but 50- 2 liters of coke watch......theres always some pre-law college douche bag ready to challenge them when there sitting around smoking b-loads i wouldnt know anything about that though
h2ofishfo is offline   Reply With Quote