Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-24-2013, 04:20 PM   #1
captnblood34

How-To Fish the Kelp

Curious as to how you guys hook up on fish "in" or "around" the kelp using hammers or worms or any other bass lure. I feel like I'd have to plummet my lure a ways and let it sink being that its so deep. Do you target the open pockets? Or do you fish them the same way as you would in the bay or a lake? Thanks in advance!

J
captnblood34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 05:18 PM   #2
FishNinjaY

I'm interested too..
FishNinjaY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 05:56 PM   #3
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

4 to 6 inch MC swimbait or Big hammer on a Warbaits slayer head smothered in unibutter, throw it in deep and roll it in slow.

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 06:21 PM   #4
captnblood34

Thanks bus, just working the surface eh? Is there a method for fishing bass deep?
captnblood34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 06:34 PM   #5
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by captnblood34 View Post
Thanks bus, just working the surface eh? Is there a method for fishing bass deep?
6 inch plastic on 3 oz of lead let it drop and wind it in.

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 06:43 PM   #6
JeffB

I like to trailer 3/4oz- 1 1/2oz warbaits with 6" grubs. I will either jig them down deep,or cast them out as far as I can parallel with the kelp and into the current. I will let it sink down about 15'-20' and swim it back slowly. This is one technique that has produced the most and biggest Calico's for me. Also I like to bounce 5"-6" swim baits around the outsides of the kelp and shallow rock piles for Calico's and sandies. I found 50-65lb braid with a 20lb floro leader spliced by an Albright knot is an awesome combo.
Old 03-24-2013, 06:48 PM   #7
madncrzydm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffB View Post
I like to trailer 3/4oz- 1 1/2oz warbaits with 6" grubs. I will either jig them down deep,or cast them out as far as I can parallel with the kelp and into the current. I will let it sink down about 15'-20' and swim it back slowly. This is one technique that has produced the most and biggest Calico's for me. Also I like to bounce 5"-6" swim baits around the outsides of the kelp and shallow rock piles for Calico's and sandies. I found 50-65lb braid with a 20lb floro leader spliced by an Albright knot is an awesome combo.
I do the same thing but use 12lb leader just in case they are a litle line shy.