Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-2006, 11:34 AM   #1
SDdude

7/6 La Jolla Shores - 46 lb WSB

Launched from La Jolla Shores yesterday afternoon (4:45 pm) with a couple of buddies (Brian and Eric). Choppy surf, made for a wet launch on my Hobie Adventure. Made bait (which took a while), all Spanish macks. My buddies headed straight out toward the edge of the kelp beds where a few other yakkers were hanging out. I saw a few birds circling a few hundreds yards to the NW, so I went to check it out instead. I was trolling two macks...one shallow, one deep (1.5 oz egg sinker, 3/0 circle hook). As I approached where the birds were circling, saw that it was a big bait boil with perhaps a few yellows mixing it up with them. Grabbed my other rod and was about to throw an iron over the boil, when all of a sudden ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzz on my deep trolling rig. Peeled off quite a bit of line, then just stopped. For a while it felt like I was hung up on kelp, although I know there's no kelp there (pretty sure I was over the canyon, but no finder, so I'm not sure). After about 15 mins or so finally got it up near the surface and it freaked out, peeling off line again. Another 5 mins and I got him up to the side of the yak. Then I saw what it was...a big freakin' White Sea Bass. My first ever. Giddy Up! By now there was absolutely no fight in him. He just threw in the towel. Finally gaffed him and lugged him into the boat...this was about 6pm. Went to find my buddies to let 'em know, and to see if they had a camera. Nope...no camera. None of the other yakkers that I ran into had one either. Damn. I need to get a nice waterproof camera. Oh well, have to wait until I get home to get a decent photo of it. Time to head back to shore. Done fishing after only 15 minutes of trolling. It was tough pedalling the Big A with a big freakin' fish in your lap! Anyway, very stoked to catch my first WSB, not to mention my first fish of decent size from a yak.

Stopped at Seaforth on the way home to weigh it: 46.5 lbs.

It was 52 inches.

Had to have my buddy help me lift it for the photo! It was as tall as his daughter Sabrina!

-- Raleigh

SDdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 11:45 AM   #2
FISHIONADO

Beautiful fish, congrats! I couldn't find a way to cook my recent WSB that wasn't delicious, on the grill, pan seared, vera cruz, ceviche was incredible, etc.

Please turn in the head for the Hubbs research program if you can.

http://www.hswri.org/files/pressRele...9.05806667.pdf
FISHIONADO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 11:48 AM   #3
Aaron&Julie

Raleigh, awesome first white and big fish catch on the kayak. That's gotta feel good .
Old 07-07-2006, 11:49 AM   #4
dorado50

Awesome catch

Great catch !. I was on the beach when you brought it in . I can not believe it was caught so far out from the kelp ! Save the tail !!!!!
dorado50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 11:50 AM   #5
Rick

First WSB

Congrats on that excellent fish. I know just how you feel, I got my first one a couple months ago and I'm still showing anyone I can the pictures. Rick
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 03:04 PM   #6
tylerdurden
Bad Clone

Awesome fish. It looks like I ran all the way out long for nothing last night. There were some yt biting too. Weekend crowds here we go.
tylerdurden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 03:31 AM   #7
katchfish
Paddle for Mahi

I want that!

Beauty!!

Ken
katchfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 08:25 PM   #8
jimbo

nice fish

I've seen you at the launch several times. Know you've been loggin your hours. Congrats! Very nice fish. As far as cooking, I grilled 1 up last week. Was totally awesome. I marinated in ginger soy sauce w/ some wasabi. Took a bit longer to cook than most fish that is white, but not as long as YT - maybe 10-15 min total. Hope you enjoy.