Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-2008, 06:21 PM   #21
Joe11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed View Post
Best way to land a hobie:

I prefer the flying gaff and tail drag method. They die quick that way.
I recommend caution when attempting to tail drag a Hobie Mirage. They have been known to drag the paddler out to sea never to be seen again.
Joe11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 09:01 AM   #22
Hobie-Pedaller
Fish On !!!

Hobie's are great for most all aspects of yak fishing.

surf launching and landing is the one area that they are a bit challenging.

especially since the Hobie's have limited in-hull storage, due to the mirage drive in the floorboard of cockpit.

for me, the launching is not nearly as risky as the landing. for launching, just keep yak pointed "into" the surf, and plow through the waves until you get out. for landing, there are many more variables, and many more approaches to try and use. i have used my pedals to propel myself IN quickly, thru the surf zone. but then you have your sails dragging bottom, when you hit the beach. i have also landed with only paddles, but this is very slow, because the outback "paddles" like a BIG tank. some people (in all brands of yaks) paddle in "backwards" very slow, allowing the incoming waves to pass them by, as they are slowly approaching the beach.

on launching, if you get to thigh deep water, you can then put your pedals in, then jump in and pedal hard to get out thru the surf zone fairly quickly. or w/o pedals, just paddle hard, and you get out, although slower, and take more waves over the bow. no problem in warmer months, but sucks to get that soaked when launching in colder months.

on landing, i used to leave mirage drive in, pedal & paddle close to beach, and then strap one pedal forward to pull sails against bottom of yak. but if you ride the yak all the way to the beach, which the waves frequently automatically do for you when landing, then you drag the sails against the bottom. even on only sandy bottom, this eventually rips the rubber of the sails (mainly front one), and it will have to be replaced. you also run the risk of bending the mast rods.

thus, now i pull the mirage drive out and bungee down on the bow of yak b4 landing.

that leaves you to only PADDLE the Hobie into the beach. these things are tanks, and paddle fairly slow. you usually will have waves catch you from behind, that try to turn your yak sideways, and then the next wave wants to flip you over.

i almost always end up riding this wave into the beach "sideways" on the yak, having to lean hard into the wave, to prevent rolling over or flipping.

i recommend to anyone, to go "practice" in the surf zone, without your fishing gear aboard. especially the landing part. learn what methods/techniques work for you and your yak.

then you will be better when it's for real, and you have all your gear aboard on an actual fishing trip.

Kayak Fishing is a DRUG.... and I'm addicted !!
Hobie-Pedaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 10:41 AM   #23
bajadog
I eats what I kills

Hobie-Pedaller, you have it right, although I have not rode my revo into
the sand coming back in. I usually get to knee deep water, hang my legs out, and stand over the yak. I bungie the drive so the fins rest on the hull.
It would be cool if hobie molded in some recesses for the fins, like an air plane's landing gear wheel wells.

I have to say other than the mirage drive, I've seen every make and model
kayak dump it in the right surf combination. Just practice.
Old 06-25-2008, 05:19 PM   #24
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

If all else fails...

I am, by far, not an expert at entering and exiting big surf with my Revo. The small stuff is a piece of cake but anything bigger than two feet can be a challenge. I have learned a few things however.

Wait outside until you see a lull, than paddle like hell, trying to stay on the backside of the swell in front of you. As others have mentioned, raise the rudder and lock the mirage drive in the flat position first. If you are lucky, you will be able to gain enough momentum to make it to waist deep water before encountering a breaker. I typically jump out in the shallow water, grab the bow handle and turn the kayak bow into the incoming swell. It is a wet landing but is usually incident-free.

If all else fails you could try what I saw one of the brave sit inside kayak fishers do the other day. He paddled as far in as he could and when he saw a breaker approaching, quickly turned the bow of his boat 180 degrees until it faced into the surf. He then paddled backwards until he reached the beach cutting through the incoming waves with the bow of his kayak. This guy was really good and barely got wet.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 07:51 PM   #25
Billy V

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsafety View Post
If all else fails you could try what I saw one of the brave sit inside kayak fishers do the other day. He paddled as far in as he could and when he saw a breaker approaching, quickly turned the bow of his boat 180 degrees until it faced into the surf. He then paddled backwards until he reached the beach cutting through the incoming waves with the bow of his kayak. This guy was really good and barely got wet.

Bob
I would like to see someone try that on a rigged Adventure :lol:
-My yak turns like an Oil Tanker. (with fins in the water, and on the rudder)
Even with the paddle it's 16' works against any sharp turns.

I'd gladly Video from the beach, but I'm not going to be the guy to try it.

Last edited by Billy V; 06-25-2008 at 08:21 PM.
Billy V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 04:43 AM   #26
bajadog
I eats what I kills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy V View Post

Or an Outfitter. My son and his buddy will testify to that.
Old 06-26-2008, 07:04 AM   #27
Zed
BANNED

Quote:
I recommend caution when attempting to tail drag a Hobie Mirage. They have been known to drag the paddler out to sea never to be seen again.
Alright, tug-o-war after 7th period!
Zed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 07:25 AM   #28
cabojohn
PROBATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy V View Post

I'm yer huckleberry. It will probably be ugly, but I will do it any way you want.

Possibly at the next Iceman surf~N~fish days at San'O there will be some surf and if there is a hobie there I could try launching, landing and SURFING a hobie?
Although I have never tried any hobie befoe, I have seen many people eat shit in the surf. Its quite entertaining. I am not going to knock it until I try. Thats only fair...
It appears to me, that most wipeouts are due to pilot error??? Hobies have rudders and that would seem EZ to have directional control. "DC"
Hobies seem to be quick at the peddle and have no trouble getting up to speed...it would seem to me that if you charge it and catch the wave early, you could sit back and enjoy the ride with total control. With the rudder, turning shouldn't be a problem right?

The guys that have hobies seem to really like them...my wife and daughter are interested in trying them too. I admit, I don't think a hobie is the right one for me, I want to try and I really want to know if they can be surfed worth a darn? fwiw- I have never seen anyone surf a hobie.

Zed- you made a funnay! hehe
I'll meet you at the bike racks after school.
I can't let you get dog pilled...

cabo
Loco Pescadores
cabojohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 01:38 PM   #29
PAL

Quote:
It appears to me, that most wipeouts are due to pilot error??? Hobies have rudders and that would seem EZ to have directional control. "DC"
Hobies seem to be quick at the peddle and have no trouble getting up to speed...it would seem to me that if you charge it and catch the wave early, you could sit back and enjoy the ride with total control. With the rudder, turning shouldn't be a problem right?
This one time, at band camp... I was landing an Adventure after a certain PV PnF. In respectable surf. At a surf beach. I decided I'd ride it in on pedal power. A wave caught me and lifted the stern out of the water. Know what? Air doesn't have enough resistance to keep a kayak on course. Result - my sickest wipeout ever. YMMV
PAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 05:34 PM   #30
sdcityboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAL View Post
This one time, at band camp... I

lol lol lol lol
Old 06-26-2008, 09:58 PM   #31
Rusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAL View Post
n respectable surf. At a surf beach. I decided I'd ride it in on pedal power. A wave caught me and lifted the stern out of the water.
I think the drag created by the Hobie drive (whether the fins/sails are up or down) pulls the nose under water, thus lifting the stern. Did it once, saved the fall, won't do it again. To land - just act like your going to catch the wave, put both feet together to slow you down so you don't get pulled into the wave, then peddle to keep up with the back of it. It's easy once you get the hang of it.

Cabo John - I've "surfed" on scramblers, an x-factor, tarpon 140 and a handful of others and never dunked with my gear on board. Only dunked when trying to get barrels on the scramblers. I can tell you Hobie peddlers are not made to "surf." The benefits highly out way not being able to surf them though. For example, with my turbo drive I can get out of the reserve in less than ten minutes with little effort, and during this time I usually enjoy a smoke, drink some water, and set up my gear (hands are free). I can also throw iron while moving, or stay in one place when there's current or wind - with rod in hand. Definitely try to surf one if you get the chance... It's sketchy.

Last edited by Rusty; 06-27-2008 at 08:40 AM.
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote