Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-14-2017, 12:53 AM   #1
filipino_angler

hi everyone, new member here. i just want to get some tips and advice on how to fish on a kayak. i also want to learn the safety while kayak fishing. thank you in advance.
filipino_angler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 05:33 AM   #2
PapaDave

Welcome to the madness...

Cruise around this forum, there is a heck of a lot of info here. Pick a fish and do a search.
Old 03-14-2017, 06:41 AM   #3
Phishphood

Wttm. And like Dave said, search away. There's plenty of good info, even if you might have to sift thru some bs

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Phishphood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 08:46 AM   #4
NICKWORN

Welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by filipino_angler View Post
hi everyone, new member here. i just want to get some tips and advice on how to fish on a kayak. i also want to learn the safety while kayak fishing. thank you in advance.
YOUTUBE, YOUTUBE and some more YOUTUBE. You can gain some knowledge off the 100's of La Jolla kayak videos out there as well as multiple articles that can be found on google, otherwise is all about time on the water( trials and tribulations ).

NICKWORN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 09:24 AM   #5
Saba Slayer

Del Mar Show

Come down to the Del Mar Show...there will be literally hours of seminars at the Hobie seminar stage...and you can talk to the seminar speakers after their presentations...or stop by the OEX booth and Brent and his crew can show you all kinds of kayaks and talk about what you'll need to get started.

Saba Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 10:46 AM   #6
RedSledTeam
Daddeo

Mabuhay Bro'!

First, go see Andy (and Roman) at OEX in Sunset Beach.

Second, buy a Hobie.

The rest will come natural to you.

This community will support you along the way!

-REDSLEDTEAM

IMG_20160721_184917_hdr.jpg
RedSledTeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 12:49 AM   #7
filipino_angler

thank you guys
Old 03-15-2017, 07:07 AM   #8
FreddoFly
Junior

New to Kayak Fishing Too...

Quote:
Hi and welcome!

I'm brand new here too in the forum and to kayak fishing as of late September 2016. To learn the ropes of kayak fishing, get out on the water. Learn what works for you. Every time I went out I learned something new. Where I wanted this, where I needed that. Take a notebook and make notes.

I learned a lot from YouTube but being gear nut, I wanted to start buying everything but didn't. Sure I did the milk crate thing (they're helpful) and even tweaked that a few times in the month or two I fished before it got too cold to go out here. I suggest a lot of YouTube videos to get ideas but "you" need to decide what works for "you!"

Get a life vest that's comfortable and get out on the water a lot. Note which side of the kayak you favor for landing fish. Get used to turning around to get at "stuff" behind you (as a newbie this sort of freaked me out but not a problem now). Get used to where you go to grab for the items you need while fishing. Just time out on the water will dictate learning your game!

Have fun and stay safe!

"Something's wrong... My kayak isn't under me!"

Last edited by FreddoFly; 03-15-2017 at 12:43 PM.
FreddoFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 07:21 AM   #9
Mr_Fixit

Quote:
Welcome! You came to the right place. Not to be redundant, but what the other guys said is all solid. Read a ton here. Watch Youtube. Get a Hobie. But certainly get on the water ASAP. Start somewhere simple like Mission Bay or Oceanside. San Diego bay is good (If not excellent) also. Certainly hit those locations before La Jolla (Unless you head out with a buddy). Get out a few times. Toy around with a lite rod/reel setup.

I have been doing this for just a year and am by no means any form of expert. I started by hiring a guide (Good, educational, but not necessary in any form). But each trip, I tweak my methods, loadout, setup slightly due to lessons learned.

First lesson I learned: Secure your gear! Even your poles. I have a leash for each. Even in the bay you can flip and anything not secured will sink or float away.

Second lesson is have good clothing. Something UV protected every inch of you. Fast wicking is good since you WILL get wet and really dont want to stay wet. I even wear surfing booties that zip up to protect my feet. You get burned FAST out there, or at least I do. Sun comes from above just as much as from the water.

Third lesson, try everything. Different lures, bait, rigging, locations, retrieves. I have seen nothing work 100%. Fish are moodier than a woman.

Above all, enjoy yourself and be safe. Even if I dont catch anything, I really enjoy simply being out there and listening to the waves and birds... chase the birds!

Oh yeah... Ask questions. Even the stupid questions.. Especially the really stupid questions.
Mr_Fixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 08:43 AM   #10
goldenglory18

First off, you don't NEED a Hobie. Hobies are the Cadillac of kayaks. They are amazing boats and are (if not) damn near the best money can buy. BUT, saying you need a Hobie as your first kayak is like saying you need a BMW to get you to high school. It'd be nice, but it isn't necessary..

As for starting out, demo as many boats as you can and find what feels most comfortable and natural to YOU and the waters YOU will fish. Also, make sure you buy a boat that you can handle comfortably out of the water. A lot of the newer boats are pretty heavy dry. Know how you are going to transport it, and make sure you are comfortable loading it by yourself after a long (tiring) day on the water. The guys at OEX are fantastic and have access to any and all of the worlds best fishing yaks so ask questions, touch the boats, and see the materials they are made of. Sit in the seats and feel how the cockpit fits your body. Kayaks are very personal boats and your confidence in them is everything.

One huge hint that I benefited from was to not go hog wild and buy everything you think you need right away. You don't need a fish finder yet, hell you don't even need rod holders and a crate yet. As a Newbie, the only things you should leave the store with on day one is the boat (and a seat if needed) a paddle (a decent one is $100 or less), a good PFD ($100 - 150) and your transportation system if needed (roof rack, T-bar hitch adapter, etc.) If you have a hard time budgeting for all of those things, then its not time to buy a boat yet.

Once you buy your boat, take it for a Maiden Voyage WITHOUT your fishing gear. Go learn it in a protected and safe area to swim, preferably with a friend. For a true newbie, I highly suggest you learn proper re-entry techniques for a flip and a slide-out fall. If you are in an area with a lifeguard, let them know ahead of time that you are going to practice and you will signal/call/whistle for help if needed.

After you get the boat wet for the first time, and you have your initial bases covered, spend some time fishing in a quiet spot with one rod setup and learn how you and your boat work together. How you safely rotate to get to the rear tank well, how to get to your FWD hatch, how you like your foot pegs adjusted. Then and only then should you start looking into modding your boat with rod holders, leashes, anchors, rudder systems, nets, tackle management (ie crates,) kill bags (I could go on forever here. LOL)

Above all, ENJOY IT! It's a wonderful hobby that makes getting on the water easier for everyone. Welcome to the party!
goldenglory18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 09:58 AM   #11
Rocketfish

Welcome to BWE kababayan. Send me a PM if you ever wanna go out somewhere local. I'm from your area as well!
Rocketfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 06:45 PM   #12
Scubasteve382
Junior

I am also new to kayak fishing. I just picked up a stealth 14. I have yet to take it out. I did get a little excited and jumped on the net and purchased a fish finder, rod holders, and other accessories that I think I will be needing. I was thinking of installing these over the weekend. Maybe I will hold off and go for a maiden voyage in Alamitos bay and get myself wet a few times. I'm located in lkng beach so fairly close to you. Let me know if you want to head out as I will be looking for some fishing buddies soon!
Scubasteve382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 12:07 AM   #13
filipino_angler

thanks a lot everyone. once i get my kayak i will try to contact one of you guys to fish with.